Why can't Motorola make a decent camera?

tsitalon1

Reaction score
I don't own an incredible or a Dorid X, but I do own two Droids.

The camera on the droid sucks badly, everything has a slight haze and I am not very impressed with this camera. I also hear that the Droid X camera sucks as well.

on the other hand, I read that the incredible camera is a major selling point.

How can Motorola be so bad at making the camera portion? I just don't understand.

Yes I know it's a PHONE.. And as someone who owns a DSLR, I have nice equipment available to me, however, I don't carry my equipment everywhere. It's to big and bulky to bring all my DSLR stuff everywhere...but I do have my phone.

Come on Motorola, make a decent camera would ya!! keep it to 5MP and give it great ISO and shutter performance!

MInkyboi

Reaction score
i think it all depends where you use it. low light situations i get somewhat bad quality with A LOT of red-eye.

however, in the daytime (indoors) its okay, and outdoors its pretty damn good.

Cmdates2991

Reaction score
Yeah my camera looks great outdoors. But in low light indoor situations it is terrible. That how most cameras usually are as far as I know.

brochaos

Reaction score
i still insist it's a bug in the metering.. the eris takes better lowlight pics (no flash) than the droid does with a flash. the droid meters any scene with flash enabled as 1/10 shutter speed, when it should be faster, usually 1/60.

KevinJ

Reaction score
Yes I know it's a PHONE.. And as someone who owns a DSLR, I have nice equipment available to me, however, I don't carry my equipment everywhere. It's to big and bulky to bring all my DSLR stuff everywhere...but I do have my phone.

My advice? Just use it as a phone and forget the camera. Buy a nice P&S to carry around all the time. :D ;)

I've carried a point-n-shoot camera with my for years. Back in the film days, I just kept it in the car. You never know when you need to take a photo. Now when I leave the house I grab the phone and the camera. They sit right next to each other.

The camera on the phone works okay with certain restrictions. Stay within those, and you won't have problems.

BTW, the pics I have taken with the phone (like 4 since I got it in December) and don't have any "haze" in the images.

But...to each his own.

coondogg97

Reaction score
I don't own an incredible or a Dorid X, but I do own two Droids.

The camera on the droid sucks badly, everything has a slight haze and I am not very impressed with this camera. I also hear that the Droid X camera sucks as well.

on the other hand, I read that the incredible camera is a major selling point.

How can Motorola be so bad at making the camera portion? I just don't understand.

Come on Motorola, make a decent camera would ya!! keep it to 5MP and give it great ISO and shutter performance!

Well said......and.......

I couldn't agree more!

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
Do what I do....I use my Nikon D60, D90 or D3000 for photos...Phone is good for ok shots at best.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Do what I do....I use my Nikon D60, D90 or D3000 for photos...Phone is good for ok shots at best.

The camera is for taking a shot of your car after you had an accident from texting on your droid. People expect such great things from the camera. Works good enough for me.

coondogg97

Reaction score

The point the OP made was not having to carry around those DSLRs.

The camera is for taking a shot of your car after you had an accident from texting on your droid. People expect such great things from the camera. Works good enough for me.

That's not at all how they market the cameras on these phones. And if that was the case they wouldn't be putting 8MP cameras in these phones.

Cameras in these smart phones are advertised to do much more then take a photo in an emergency.

ffej89

Reaction score
coondogg i agree. In the months leading up to the new phone's comming out they say its a replacement for not only your camera but your video cam also. That being said mine works just fine :)

kenbarnum

Reaction score
I like my Droid's camera. But I'm not a photographer. It takes pretty good shots and has no more red eye than my 6mp olympia.

mcapozzi

Reaction score
The problem is the stupid marketing departments/stupid users keep thinking that it is ALL about MPs. Yeah having a lot of MPs is nice when you don't have optical zoom, but who the heck needs 8MP for a snapshot. So they waste money on a high-res CCD and do nothing to improve the lens or the camera's IC.

Most photo printing sites will downscale customer uploaded photos to 6MP because that is all the printer needs to make an 8x10 at 300dpi. I would know, I used to help run those sites (WM Photo Center, Sams Club Photo Center, Fujifilm.net, Ritz/Wolf Camera).

-Mike