Why can't Motorola be like HTC?

The Robot Cow

Reaction score
I was over at the android central website checking out some android news, where I saw this article where HTC released kernel codes for a few phones. Which led me to think as to why can't Motorola do the same? Im not sure why they have locked bootloaders on our phones. Maybe its to keep other companies from taking moto blur from the phones and making their own version of it?

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums App

anuraj1

Reaction score
no one wants motoblur

So your speaking for everyone?

I think he speaks for the vast majority of those of us that know what MotoBlur is, and how much better a stock experience is. Unfortunately the vast vast majority of VZW customers as a whole have no concept of that. To them, each phone has its own features and that's just how it is. Ignorance is bliss I suppose.

jrodizkool01

Reaction score
Sense has always been better than Blur as far as looks, speed, and customizations. I don't think Blue is as bad as everyone makes it seem but Motorola has a lot to do with it if they want the UI to compete with HTC's latest iteration of Sense

RW-1

Silver Member
Reaction score
Because for Moto to act in a responsible matter would make SENSE (pun intended), hence they won't to it.

Moto believes in resting on their laurel's, and that their stuff is so important that they have to lock it down from the clueless masses who would just live with it, yet we who know the truth would remove it.

bplewis24

Reaction score
Bottom line: as long as Motorola keeps up their current business practices, HTC will get more and more of a hardcore following. Moto's marketing department may be able to make up for that with continued mainstream newcomers. Ironically, that sounds an awful lot like another company.

Brandon

lumpysherman

Reaction score
My next phone will probably be an HTC unless the D3 does not use Blur. Any info on that? Would it be safe to say the bootloader would be locked? ooops sorry for the subject creep in this thread.
Just say no to Blur!

turdbogls

Reaction score
Bottom line: as long as Motorola keeps up their current business practices, HTC will get more and more of a hardcore following. Moto's marketing department may be able to make up for that with continued mainstream newcomers. Ironically, that sounds an awful lot like another company.

Brandon

i agree with this, however i am pretty sure MOTO could care less about the "Hardcore" crowd. this is a LARGE forum with 178,XXX members registered. when you think of the number of Droid X's sold and Droid 1 sold, that is a fairly small number. i really dont think moto cares about the hardcore crowd, especially when the every day users far outnumber us and probably have no idea what a bootloader is. :)

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I was over at the android central website checking out some android news, where I saw this article where HTC released kernel codes for a few phones. Which led me to think as to why can't Motorola do the same? Im not sure why they have locked bootloaders on our phones. Maybe its to keep other companies from taking moto blur from the phones and making their own version of it?

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums App

This thread gets a thumbs down. It's like asking why Chevy isn't more like Ford?

I like the Blur by the way.

13th angel

Developer
Developer
Reaction score

Brandon

i agree with this, however i am pretty sure MOTO could care less about the "Hardcore" crowd. this is a LARGE forum with 178,XXX members registered. when you think of the number of Droid X's sold and Droid 1 sold, that is a fairly small number. i really dont think moto cares about the hardcore crowd, especially when the every day users far outnumber us and probably have no idea what a bootloader is. :)

+1, unfortunately true. Only reason i know anything about, well any of that, is from here. I've learned so much just from reading around here even to the point of being able to troubleshoot and help with most problems on d2/d2g's.

The only thing that i see that Motorola has going for them is build quality. They always put out very well put together phones but they're locked down. HTC (in my limited experiences) is basically the opposite. They do great software but sub-par hardware.

Jerrod6

Reaction score
I have the original Moto Droid 1 so I guess it does not have blur. I've never understood what the differences are. Can someone explain what blur has that the standard Driod 1 interface doesn't, or what the standard can do that the blur cannot.

13th angel

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
I have the original Moto Droid 1 so I guess it does not have blur. I've never understood what the differences are. Can someone explain what blur has that the standard Driod 1 interface doesn't, or what the standard can do that the blur cannot.

Basically blur is just an overlay that moto put over the stock android OS so it looks different. However they did a very bad job when writing it because it has resource leaks all over the place. I havent played with a droid 1 so i cant tell you any specific differences. The biggest difference from what ive seen running blur-free roms is speed and stability though.

tcayton49

Reaction score
Why can't Motorola be like HTC?

Simple...if Moto was more like HTC, Apple would sue them