why cant i remove apps like stocks?

pitseleh12

Reaction score
my battery dies in the middle of the day.
i play angry birds a lot.
i keep the screen on a low level of brightness.
i only get updates on gmail, yahoo mail, and facebook.
i keep gps and bluetooth off.
im always in a 4G area.
and the battery still dies in the middle of the day.

so, i tried to delete some programs i dont use. i noticed that "stocks" was running in the background, so i tried to delete it. it only let me stop the app; i couldnt delete it, or a few others, like blockbuster. what's the deal??

i also downloaded juice defender to try to save battery, but i noticed it said in the activity log "the device is not rooted" and "error - the app package miht be damaged. please uninstall juicedefender, reboot, then reinstall it"

and, if someone can help me with this unanswered question, id really appreciate it: the problem with converting my VIDEO-TS dvd files to mp4 is that i cant put on the subtitles like i can with vlc media player on the pc... any alternative?

GhettoSafari

Reaction score
As for the stock apps, you can only remove those after rooting your phone, which you can find how to do on this website.

As for battery life, stop playing so much angry birds?? Check out Bump charging which you can also find on this forum, many people have had great results with that.

So yea, Root and Bump.

OP
P

pitseleh12

Reaction score
As for the stock apps, you can only remove those after rooting your phone, which you can find how to do on this website.

As for battery life, stop playing so much angry birds?? Check out Bump charging which you can also find on this forum, many people have had great results with that.

So yea, Root and Bump.

angry birds affects battery bc of screen brightness? or bc its constantly refreshing ads?

also, i got facebook from market but i see in my running apps that both facebook and facebook for htc sense are running. i dont know what the difference is but i dont know if i should get rid of one, or if they are both necessary to get notifications and sync properly...

52brandon

Reaction score

So yea, Root and Bump.

angry birds affects battery bc of screen brightness? or bc its constantly refreshing ads?

also, i got facebook from market but i see in my running apps that both facebook and facebook for htc sense are running. i dont know what the difference is but i dont know if i should get rid of one, or if they are both necessary to get notifications and sync properly...
games use a lot of resources, therefore drain your battery. And I believe friendstream is the HTC facebook app. Try it and if you like it, use that. Since it's a system app, you cannot remove it, but can remove the facebook app you DLed

geoff5093

Reaction score
Go into your accounts setting and disable automatic updating of stock, news, weather, and whatever else you don't use. How long do you play Angry Birds for? It's a very resource intensive app and will kill the battery in hours.

Beardface

Reaction score
Go into your accounts setting and disable automatic updating of stock, news, weather, and whatever else you don't use. How long do you play Angry Birds for? It's a very resource intensive app and will kill the battery in hours.
Damn you, I was about to post the same thing myself!

Yeah, specifically, go into 'Accounts & Sync' and scroll to the bottom. Beneath your Google account(s) and Facebook, you'll see 'News', 'Stocks', and 'Weather'. Click into Stocks and uncheck the first one 'Sync stock info'. That will disable it from running in the background. Feel free to do the same with 'News'. However, if you are using the HTC widget with the flipclock and the weather icon with temp, don't mess with 'Weather'.

As far as Angry Birds, thats your main problem. Its KILLING your battery. If you have 'Battery Left' installed (I recommend it... helps you see how your phone is performing) and go into 'Usage', it'll show you how your battery is being drained. I guarantee you that you'll see Angry Birds #1, by a mile.

BigMcGuire

Reaction score
Wow glad to see that we aren't the only ones that find something wrong about not being unable to uninstall bloatware :). So yeah, you bought a $200+ phone and you signed a contract to pay probably around $100+/month for the next 2 years and Verizon is FORCING you to have bloatware on your phone that seriously hurts the experience of your phone.

Let me explain. Before I rooted to get rid of all this said bloatware... my phone would last up to 10 hours or so. Now that I'm rooted, after 9 hours, I'm at bout 70-80% battery. :).

stonedoubt

Reaction score
cat_FACEPALM.jpg

OP
P

pitseleh12

Reaction score
ok:
1) my news and stocks dont sync,
2) i lowered my brightness down to 20%.
3) im running LTE ONOFF and Green Power free.
4) Removed haptic feedback.

but, batt life is still not great, and i like playing angry birds, so im interested in rooting. i searched, and found some extremely complicated methods, with heavy warnings. any simpler method someone can link me to?

also, anyone figure out how to watch movies with subtitles the way i was able to with ripped dvds using VLC Media Player on my pc?

OP
P

pitseleh12

Reaction score
embarrassingly, 1/2 hr a day probably...

anyone know how to watch movies with subtitles the way im able to with ripped dvds using VLC Media Player on my pc?

and any easier way to root to get rid of bloatware?

javaman70

Reaction score
If you're gonna root I like Liquid's roms ... excellent on D1 and just released one for the Thunderbolt .... great dev and support

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums