Why cant I make folders....

nyfireman3097

Reaction score
Is it me or what? I can not seem to be able to make folders for my pictures I take. And it doesn't seem that the new droids can either. Anyone know of a way to do this ?
Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Create the folders with any file manager app (Astro, etc).

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
By default you photos are stored on the SD card in the DCIM folder. If you can to make a new folder download Astro or mount your phone to your computer. Click the icon on your computer that represents your phone. This will be your SD card. Create a file on your desktop say "MyPhot" and drag and drop to the icon. Then change the default from DCIM to MyPhot. Astro will be a similar process but use the icons at the top to create a file.

Hope this helps.

Mike

OP
N

nyfireman3097

Reaction score
i downloaded astro but i am not understanding how to use it. Im not sure if i explained properly. With my BB Storm I would take a picture and then move it to a folder that I would want it in. So when I would want to show a pic of my daughter I would go to her folder. My son his folder ect......

For the droid all the pictures gather in one place and now I have to scroll through a hundred pictures in order to find what im looking for.

HiDesertRat

Reaction score
I am also new at this, but I was able to make folders like you are talking about.
I am still trying to figure out what folders you should have on your SD card, so hopefully you have the same as I do, or close to it.

What I did was to plug the USB cable into my Droid and laptop. The Droid will ask if you want to enable USB storage, say yes. Go to your laptop and find the removable disk, that represents your Droid. If you don't have alot of other external devices on your laptop, it will most likely be labeled "removable drive F:".

Double click on that and it should open, so you can explore the SD card.

Find the folder named "my_pix" and open it. This should have all your pictures stored in there.

Now just continue as you would with any other program. Right click and select "new", "folder" and name the folder.

Now it is just a matter of dragging all the photos you want into that folder.

Repeat as many times as needed.

Once you are done, select "turn off USB storage" on the Droid.

Wait just a few seconds and than open your "Gallary". You should now see several different piles of photos, each pile labled for each folder you made.

Good luck.

OldguyMark

Reaction score
i downloaded astro but i am not understanding how to use it. Im not sure if i explained properly. With my BB Storm I would take a picture and then move it to a folder that I would want it in. So when I would want to show a pic of my daughter I would go to her folder. My son his folder ect......

For the droid all the pictures gather in one place and now I have to scroll through a hundred pictures in order to find what im looking for.

Open Astro, you will be looking at your SD card, to confirm that you are looking at your SD card you should see folders like DCIM and LOST.DIR and others depending on what you have on your phone.

Now touch menu, you will get different options, one will be 'new.' Touch 'new' then 'directory,' leave 'directory type' set at normal, type a new folder name in the box, you know like 'sweet little girl,' or something :)

This folder will now show up in the stock gallery (once you put photos in it, the gallery can find all photos regardless of what folder it's in) -

Now, if you took pictures with your Droid; find the DCIM folder and touch that, that will bring up three new folders - touch Camera and all your pictures will be there.

To move pictures to your new folder, just long press it (just hold your finger on it) that will bring up another menu. Touch edit, then 'move.'

Now go to your new folder, long press that, the edit menu will come up again, now just touch paste and your picture will move to the new folder.

If your pictures are on your home computer, then just mount your Droid to it, then use whatever software you have to move or copy your pictures to your new folder on your Droid.

In Astro it is possible to move more than one picture at a time, but it can get fussy ...

I know of no way to take a picture with your Droid and have save in a folder of your choice, maybe some else knows of a app for that.

It's also possible to hide pictures using Astro, that no one but you can see ... you know, those lovely pictures of your wife for those late nights while on duty at the firehouse :):)
(Let e know if you need help with also :):))

Edit - left out an important bit of info ....

Last edited:

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
I am also new at this, but I was able to make folders like you are talking about.
I am still trying to figure out what folders you should have on your SD card, so hopefully you have the same as I do, or close to it.

The folders on ones SD card will vary. If you looked at the card soon after you activated there were two or three at most. Once for you pictures and media.

If you are rooted then you do NOT want to delete the Nandroid or the ClockWorkMod folder.

Truthfully, I've never had a problem deleting anything from my SD card. I do, however, keep a backup on my computer.

Mike