Why can't I load a kernel?

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by szabon, Sep 20, 2011.

1. szabon

szabon New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Ok, so I'm new to this whole thing. I have a motorola droid 1, and I rooted it using the superoneclick thing, and it worked great. I put on the CM7 rom using the Rom Manager, and then I went to play with putting new kernels on. I tried downloading the kernel manager, but every time I loaded and flashed a kernel from its list it said that it could not do it, and asked if I had s-on. So i tried just putting the incredikernel on the sd card and using rom manager to install it, but it just sits in the Motorola screen forever, and I have to take the battery out, load into recovery and restore. I tried using the froyo download and the Gingerbread download from incredikernel, but same thing happened. Even tried just doing the whole process in recovery mode, but still same thing. What do I do now? Why can't I do this?

2. dasanman69

dasanman69 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Try using ROM manager to install a kernel. If it froze on reboot maybe you too high a setting or too low a voltage. Try Pete's or corcor67's kernels, if that doesn't work download the file on to your PC, install it on your SD card renamed update and install it using the recovery.

3. JSM9872

JSM9872 Super Moderator
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +287
    Current Phone Model:
    Galaxy Note 3
    I just did a quick Google search since I had never heard of it. But as I suspected incredikernel is for the HTC Incredible. You need to use kernels specific for the Droid 1. The 2 that dasanman mentioned would be good choices. Also while I was still using the Droid 1 I always like Chevy kernels.

4. szabon

szabon New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    awesome! I guess I was loading the wrong kernel. I did it in recovery mode, and now I am running Pete's 250 1000 LV Elite Series. How do I know what kernel I can use?

5. dasanman69

dasanman69 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Either do your homework or stick with ROM manager, it'll only list the kernels for your phone.

6. louy99

louy99 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    A lot of the same kernals can be used for froyo and GB. Some can't, one kernal can run awesome on your phone and the same can not on someone elses. Its just a matter of playing around and finding what works well with yours

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums

7. dasanman69

dasanman69 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Correct. Play with Pete's, corcor67, slayhers,or Chevy's. Find the one that works best with your phone

8. szabon

szabon New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    awesome. Thank you all very much!