1. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Why Cant I/How Do I edit files in /system

Discussion in 'Bugless' started by Natedogg, Dec 15, 2010.

1. Natedogg

Natedogg New Member

Hey guys, I asked this in the Stop OTA thread but didn't get a response yet.

I was trying to manually edit the build file in /system to stop the OTA update, but my text editor wouldn't let me save the changes (I guess the file is read only; I used astro to find it.)

I also tried to use the Bugless Beast Toolkit "sys" script, but it didn't work.

Can anybody give me a quick answers to:

1) why the root files are read only. I can edit system files on my computer, i think.
    2) what the sys script does, and why it didn't work for me
    3) and is there a way for me to edit root files if I want to? Do I need an app other than astro?

Maybe simple questions, but I couldn't find the answers by googling... And it's bothering the crap out of me! :) :icon_ banana:
  2. Mbk

Mbk Android For Life Theme Developer Premium Member

I'm not referenced with Astro, but if you're rooted you should be able to mount it as R/W..... and not sure what scrip[t you're using, but if you apply it and it reboots, it should take regardless whether you had the R/W mounted or not, since the script mounts it.
  3. Natedogg

Natedogg New Member

hmm.. ran the sys script (from bugless beast toolkit), rebooted, and still no luck.

Hmm,

I guess I'll need to check out root explorer.
  4. gambit07

gambit07 New Member

Run the godmode script and you will be able to do it, you could also use root explorer and mount r/w
Search tags for this page
changing system files on a droid 3 on pc
edit android root files

edit android system using *#

editing android system files on a computer
editing files on droid phone
how to modify android system files from pc
root explorer to edit files