Why can't I get ICS? Rooted Bionic

Arsenic

Reaction score
I read several articles from october saying that the ICS update was sent to bionic phones. I did not get any notification on my phone of any kind and after googling I can not find a way to update to ICS. Google only is so kind to give me more news articles, nothing helpful. My device is rooted, not sure if that matters.

How can I get ICS on my phone?

my about screen:
------------------------------
system version - 5.9.902
android version - 2.3.4
kernel version - 2.6.35.7-g38f1a47
build number - 5.5.1_84_DBN-71

Thank you so much, much appreciated

Tonik

Reaction score
What happens when you hit check for updates?

If it says update unavailable turn it off pull the battery and remove the white sim card behind your sd card. Pay attention to which way it is inserted as you take it out. Leave it out and put the battery back in and start it up.

You will get an error about the missing sim card. Shut it back down and restart it and check for updates again.

You are two updates behind....so it will update twice.

If that does not work let us know, there are other options.....we can give you the update and you can do it manually.

OP
A

Arsenic

Reaction score
It got 1/4 of the way through installing .905 but then booted normally. My about screen has an error message saying the update failed.

Tonik

Reaction score
Are you rooted? Deleted any factory apps... frozen apps? Any mods?

OP
A

Arsenic

Reaction score
Yes I am rooted. No i did not delete any system apps, not to my knowledge anyway. I dont have any apps that freeze on me either, and I havent modded it.

Tonik

Reaction score
Well something got changed via root that the update does not like. Best bet is to just fxz to 246(ICS) and be done with it. This will be like getting a brand new phone from Moto with ICS on it. In other words it will wipe your phone..everything except the external sd card. So back up the internal storage that you want to save. Make sure your battery is at 100 percent before you start and the last reboot takes awhile. Go have a coffee or a smoke if you smoke. Don't panic and pull the battery.

It's not bad to do at all. Install RSD on your computer, fire it up and point to the file and flash it.

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...install-246-ics-fxz-updated-10-24-2012-a.html

DoctorV

Reaction score
Well something got changed via root that the update does not like. Best bet is to just fxz to 246(ICS) and be done with it. This will be like getting a brand new phone from Moto with ICS on it. In other words it will wipe your phone..everything except the external sd card. So back up the internal storage that you want to save. Make sure your battery is at 100 percent before you start and the last reboot takes awhile. Go have a coffee or a smoke if you smoke. Don't panic and pull the battery.

It's not bad to do at all. Install RSD on your computer, fire it up and point to the file and flash it.

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...install-246-ics-fxz-updated-10-24-2012-a.html

This is what I had to do when I was trying to go from .905 to ICS. I was rooted and I even unrooted and it still would not update over the air so I used the above method and now I'm on ICS and life is wonderful.

Klowne

Reaction score
I had to unroot my phone the other day and completely go back to stock GB 2.3.4 just like Motorola had sent it from the factory. The phone is able to tell if you have rooted or used bootstrap and will NOT install OTA updates if it detects these, you will get an error every time. FXZ completely back to stock and then use the OTA update and it will work.

How to Flash 5.9.905 GB or 6.7.246 ICS with Rsdlite - Android Forums

Use the above directions to flash all the way back to 905 stock and then you will be able to use the OTA update. After you DL and install the update install safestrap and enjoy your phone!