why are the picture files so small?

Guchi

Reaction score
the 5mp camera on my samsung omnia would make picture files around 1.4mb the droid on the highest setting is making 250kb files. i think this could possibly have somthing to do with the picture quality issue everyone is having. is the droid compressing our photos and making the them suck in the process????? this small file size happens with factory and market camera apps.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
the 5mp camera on my samsung omnia would make picture files around 1.4mb the droid on the highest setting is making 250kb files. i think this could possibly have somthing to do with the picture quality issue everyone is having. is the droid compressing our photos and making the them suck in the process????? this small file size happens with factory and market camera apps.
never noticed the files sizes were so small... might be something to this?

C3-PO

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG V20
I know that jpegs can produce different file sizes based on what the picture is of. Jpegs don't store all the information for every pixel in a picture. Instead, every pixel that has the same information as another one is referenced. That way, you don't get redundant information stored. I'm oversimplifying this but that's basically how the compression works. So, if you took a picture of, say, a blank white wall, most of the pixels would have the same info, so the file size would be small. But if you took a picture of a Tucan's beak, you would have a lot more info, because each pixel might have a different value and would thus need to be stored.

That being said, I too am disappointed with this camera. My friend has a 3MP camera on his regular samsung slider phone and it takes better pictures. He only paid 30 bucks for his. Maybe we'll get a fix with the next update?

OP
Guchi

Guchi

Reaction score
I know that jpegs can produce different file sizes based on what the picture is of. Jpegs don't store all the information for every pixel in a picture. Instead, every pixel that has the same information as another one is referenced. That way, you don't get redundant information stored. I'm oversimplifying this but that's basically how the compression works. So, if you took a picture of, say, a blank white wall, most of the pixels would have the same info, so the file size would be small. But if you took a picture of a Tucan's beak, you would have a lot more info, because each pixel might have a different value and would thus need to be stored.

That being said, I too am disappointed with this camera. My friend has a 3MP camera on his regular samsung slider phone and it takes better pictures. He only paid 30 bucks for his. Maybe we'll get a fix with the next update?

ahh that makes sense.

huskur

Reaction score

go into the settings in your camera and change the MP size. That is your issue i am sure. My droid takes wonderful pictures. I am guessing that yours is set on "2". My file sizes are 250 kb on 2 and much bigger as your MP's are higher

dylanthecat

Reaction score
I just looked at 5 photos I took last night with the 3M pixel size. They ranged in size from 619 KB to 850 KB.

dro

Reaction score
Just checked my last five pictures, most are 900k - 1mb. You must have taken a picture of a fairly simple color pallet as previously mentioned, or perhaps your camera is set to take smaller photos.

Last edited:

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Just looked... all my 5mp pictures are around 1mb in size....

Big Cam

Reaction score
ya this is a simple solution of changing the default MP size, it probably comes preset to 2mb to save room and be easier for MMS.

Silver Member
Reaction score
also changing the quality from normal to fine will increase image size

Yno

Reaction score
I just took a picture, and the details on the device show 1.02 mb at 2592 x 1936, which is 5 mega pixels. When I share it, the file shrinks to 77 kb at 854 x 638.

Silver Member
Reaction score
when you share it where? facebook? facebook shares all pictures. MMS requires pics be under a certain size.

Yno

Reaction score
when you share it where? facebook? facebook shares all pictures. MMS requires pics be under a certain size.
Sorry, I should have been a little more accurate. When I share it with a contact via email.

dylanthecat

Reaction score
Just tried this. From the gallery and from the camera app. Hit share and then emailed the photo. The file size and pixel size stayed the same. I don't see an option anywhere to change this. Not sure what is happening with yours.

Jan7heaven

Reaction score
Highest resolution only 250kb

I set the highest resolution and I still only have 250 kilobytes file size . please explain how to set fine .I set all pics at 8mp yet the camera seems to decide resolution on its own despite the fact it says 8 mp on the screen. It is very frustrating as I deliberately shoot at 8 then end up with a 2.8mp shot.

Last edited: