Why are some flashlight apps brighter than others?

jcardona1

Reaction score
I've noticed that not all flashlight apps are created equal. Why is this? For example, TeslaLED gives off blinding light, while other widgets seem much dimmer, like the flashlight from SwitchPro. I though all they did was turn the LED on and off. Does this mean it's dimmable? Is there a way to control the intensity of them?

JaredG

Reaction score
I would just check under settings within each flashlight app. Some turn the screen white with max brightness output. Some don't. Just depends on the developers programming.

Sent from my Droid

bomber889

Reaction score
I would just check under settings within each flashlight app. Some turn the screen white with max brightness output. Some don't. Just depends on the developers programming.

Sent from my Droid

He's talking about the LED from the camera.

I think that some devs don't want a higher chance to burn out the bulbs.

Viper323

Reaction score

Sent from my Droid

He's talking about the LED from the camera.

I think that some devs don't want a higher chance to burn out the bulbs.

Someone needs to explain to those devs what a LED is =P

Relex

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure TeslaLED uses both leds in the flash unlike mototorch only uses one.

hacku

Reaction score
I've used MotoTorch since day one. I just downloaded TeslaLED and they're both the exact same brightness. Both turn on both LED's on the Droid.

OP
jcardona1

jcardona1

Reaction score
well i cant use mototorch right now since it doesnt work with BB 2.2. but on the switchpro widget, its much dimmer than the TeslaLED, even though they both turn on both LEDs

Reaction score
On the Droid with Android 2.1 everyone uses the same method, setFlashlightEnabled(), and it's not so bright.

On Android 2.2 setFlashlightEnabled() sometimes works and sometimes doesn't. If the tool uses setFlashlightEnabled() and it works it will still be not so bright.

TeslaLED, on Android 2.2, will use FLASH_MODE_TORCH, which is newly supported in Android 2.2 and is very bright. So that's why on Android 2.2 TeslaLED is brighter than the others. And on Android 2.1 TeslaLED is the same as the others (it falls back to setFlashlightEnabled).

dwagner88

Reaction score
Tesla led activates the camera when it turns on the light. Mototorch does not, and this is why it doesnt work on some 2. 2 Roms. The only flashlight apps that i have gotten to work on 2. 2 Are actually turning on the camera in the background and using the flash mode from the camcorder app. This may be why it is brighter. I used to use mototorch, and tesla led is way brighter.