Why are phones not coming out with the latest OS version pre-installed?

kingsway8605

Reaction score
It is simple. Developing a complex device such as a cell phone takes months. Google open sourced it just a few months ago.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

Xplorer4x4

Reaction score
It is simple. Developing a complex device such as a cell phone takes months. Google open sourced it just a few months ago.

Android has been open source far longer then just a few months..the only exception is honeycomb so far.

kingsway8605

Reaction score

Android has been open source far longer then just a few months..the only exception is honeycomb so far.

Even if it has been open sourced for a year, that is not the point. A company cannot just flash an updated OS and then release it. If Cyanogen misses a bug they get a few complaints on a forum. If Verizon misses a serious bug it can lead to millions lost in recalls and lawsuits.

The phone companies and manufacturers have no incentive to release new phones with dated OS's. It is not advantageous to them in any way.

BRAINFIRE

Reaction score
The carriers won't allow the handset makers to ship the latest OS. That way they can control which phones are the most desirable. When asked about updates for Windows phone, Microsoft hinted around that they were blocked from pushing updates. But these are Microsoft's partners so they can't out them.

silverfang77

Reaction score
I notice the government is eager to pass laws that mandate seatbelt and ban smoking in public, but they won't force phone carriers to allow the manufacturers to push the latest updates.

Tappin' and talkin' with Tappatalk

nerdslogic

Silver Member
Reaction score
That difference is only when on the road. I am on Wi Fi at home, friends houses, and work....all of which destroy 4G as far as speed goes.

You must have some blazing ISP's. Everywhere I go, including my house is 3-8mbps, whereas I see people hitting 20mbps on 4g, what do you and your friends/work have, 50mbps?

Sent from the hand of zeus!

Home I have 50mb down and 25up (thank you FIOS)....work I have a MPLS to play with (T1) and friends are all 25mb down or better.

Xplorer4x4

Reaction score
The carriers won't allow the handset makers to ship the latest OS. That way they can control which phones are the most desirable. When asked about updates for Windows phone, Microsoft hinted around that they were blocked from pushing updates. But these are Microsoft's partners so they can't out them.
Sorry but I dont believe that. If that were the case why not release the Thunderbolt with Gingerbread since it is the latest and greatest phone on there network?

BRAINFIRE

Reaction score
Microsoft’s Joe Belfiore. “Carriers could in fact block updates to sell you a phone. That can happen,” he said.
Hopefully this doesn't apply to Verizon.

kingsway8605

Reaction score
Microsoft’s Joe Belfiore. “Carriers could in fact block updates to sell you a phone. That can happen,” he said.

A company will withhold an update so people buy the new phone coming out that has basically the exact hardware. This is indisputable and is why you are seeing locked bootloaders. That is why the droid x will get gingerbread but the droid 2 won't when they have almost exactly the same internals. The droid 2 is no longer sold, so what does Verizon and Motorola gain by releasing an OS update for the droid 2?

But that is not what this thread is about.

This thread is about releasing brand new phones with old OS's. In this case, a company has no incentive to sell new phones with old OS's. They are not idiots and realize they lose sales when a phone for sale is carrying an old OS.

silverfang77

Reaction score
Locked bootloaders didn't prevent D2 users from installing the Gingerbread leak.

silverfang77

Reaction score
True. Did VZW reject it then due to quality problems, or because they just didn't want an upgrade for a phone they were no longer selling?

Xplorer4x4

Reaction score
You said that already, but that doesnt explain why the Thunderbolt, being the latest and greatest device with a huge media campaign shipped with Froyo not Gingerbread. I doubt the Tbolt is a great seller for 4G alone considering the limited use of it right now. Personally we wont see 4G here for a year or two, and the hardware isnt the best so why not ship it with Gingerbread?

That is why the droid x will get gingerbread but the droid 2 won't when they have almost exactly the same internals. The droid 2 is no longer sold, so what does Verizon and Motorola gain by releasing an OS update for the droid 2?

This thread is about releasing brand new phones with old OS's. In this case, a company has no incentive to sell new phones with old OS's. They are not idiots and realize they lose sales when a phone for sale is carrying an old OS.
Might want to read up on that there is already an official leak for Gingerbread for the D2. So why would they push an update? Because the phone has a huge user base and they need to keep there D2 users happy until there upgrade is avaliable. The D2G was phased in to replace the D2 around X-Mas time I believe, so if I bought a D2 just before it phased out, why would Moto and VZW want to leave me hanging for 2 years with an out dated OS. It would leave me less likley to purchase there products again.

As for your statement about no incentive, then again why does the T-Bolt have Froyo? It all goes back to what I said earlier, development times.

kingsway8605

Reaction score
True. Did VZW reject it then due to quality problems, or because they just didn't want an upgrade for a phone they were no longer selling?

I have a feeling the update was intended for the Droid X and someone was able to port it to the droid 2 because they are extremely similar and just look different on the outside.

It is also possible that Motorola is developing it just in case one of the Droid 2's many carriers worldwide want it.

I will be shocked if Verizon provides an update though. They won't invest money in a phone not for sale anymore. The only benefit they would have is brand reputation and Verizon isn't Apple so they don't care about that.