Why are people mad that verizon is getting the iphone?

Discussion in 'Non-Android Smart Phones' started by rage813, Jan 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jkhonea

jkhonea DF Super Moderator

Honestly, that's why I view this iPhone thing as a good thing. More head to head competition may reverse some device practices that were building up. Really hard to say now. I've almost given up on trying to figure out tactics from major companies. All they seem to do is go sideways on their practices.
  2. pc747

pc747 DF Administrator Staff Member Rescue Squad

I dont think you realize how strong we have become as an android community. The customers pay a minimum of 80 bucks a month and multiply that by 20,000 members just on this forum alone. And we only make up the small percent of the android community. We talk with our money.... All ceos care about is meeting quarterly numbers, if vzw customers get sick of the bloat and not not getting what is fair for their members and refuse to buy then heads will roll and jobs could be lost. They have all those devices for a reason they want this years sells to be a record breaker and that will not happen if we say "no" I am tired of you catering and allowing apple to not have your bloatware but android have to be loaded and locked down.
  3. ypsichick

ypsichick New Member

Western KY and W. Los Angeles 3 miles from the bea
    I was just offered a pre-release deal for the iPhone "deleted"...
    What I think is going to kill this iphoney situation will be a decrease in our excellent customer service, Iphoney wanted Verizon for the "service" any CSRs here trained for it? Or will they be bringing in their CSRs?

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App
  4. Darkseider

Darkseider New Member

I'm not mad. I personally find it amusing that Apple is releasing a phone near its' EOL on VZW and VZW then proceeds in locking them into a 2yr. contract with no upgrade options unless they pay an ETF. It's a win/win for Apple/VZW. Apple sells more widgets to the iSheep and VZW makes bank on ETF's when the iPhone5 is released 4 months down the road. Whether it is released on VZW or on AT&T those same folks will pay, no questions asked, to get Cupertino's latest and greatest on VZW or go back to AT&T. Amazing ain't it?
  5. Darkseider

Darkseider New Member

You make an interesting point. What leverage, if any, will the Android customers have knowing this? I think it would be huge if this could be used as ammunition in getting VZW to release Android handsets without the unwanted crapware?
  6. Martin030908

Martin030908 DF Super Moderator

I like this rationalization :)
  7. KingxDroid

KingxDroid New Member

I hope the iPhone sells a lot so ATT will know once and for all not to mess with Verizon. I think ATT might just go bankrupt after this. This will bring a lot more people to the Big Red, but I don't think the iPhone will out sell Android. Droid for life, Android for life, and Open Source for life.dancedroid
  8. Martin030908

AT&T needs to stick around... Verizon needs at least something to keep them in check. Without competition we create monopolies... and that's no good for anyone.
  9. dfuser312553

dfuser312553 New Member

^ +1 I've threatened to cancel my contract maybe a dozen times & just once I'd like to know that if I did; it wouldn't be a downgrade in service. I hope the other carriers step up their game.
  10. pc747

pc747 DF Administrator Staff Member Rescue Squad

I dont want att going bankrupt for one we can not afford with our economy to have mor people out of work. And we NEED competition, competition keeps companies in check and keeps the prices low.
  11. Martin030908

I think we're gonna see some great Android devices pop up on AT&T in the future.... it's got to be a big kick in the nuts to AT&T for Apple to release an iPhone on VZW prior to their 5 yr agreement.

AT&T catered big time to Apple only to have them kick sand in their face.... I think AT&T is going to try to make a point that they don't need the iPhone to survive. Just speculation of course.
  12. virtaclesmile

virtaclesmile New Member

I was gonna wade through all 15 pages of this thread first, but, decided to weigh in right now(over achiever). Way to go Rage, for starting everyone's favorite topic...... Not sure if any religious war is,or ever was, hotter right now. Android vs. iPhone. First..."Cause they're jealous?"...who? I ask. Verizon folks cannot possibly be jealous...just one more choice in a long line of choices of what suits who for what. And At&t users have got to be like"thank GOD". 2nd "Cause they know it sucks and it ruined at & t?" Now..the iPhone is alittle more proprietary than others and has"sucky" issues just like any other technical platform, and It may suck for you, but might be just right for someone else. As far as ruining AT&T...the iPhone sky rocketed AT&T and forced them to improve their service...which I might add still stinks. Lastly..."Because Iphail was always looked down upon for being the competition?"...when? when the OG iPhone first arrived, there wasn't anything like it at all....period. Android has a lot to be thankful for to Apple for paving the way. Thats not to say that android wouldn't exist without iOS, but, even the most diehard android user can see bits of iOS in androids OS. Now finally...I left the iPhone for android, and I'm a happy OG droid user running the latest MIUI rom. My little droid does things that my close minded iPhone couldn't even dream of doing.

Not a flaming...just a thought
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 12, 2011
  13. Martin030908

the iPhone SAVED AT&T IMO (as virtacl stated), not ruined it.

the iPhone created a whole new world of smartphones that EVERY mfg has been driven to compete with. Android is just the only one who's made any head way (Palm was DOA and RIM is dying slowly).

The iPhone on VZW isn't going to change my choice for a new device... but it's nice to have choices... I know many people are happy to have the option to get an iPhone on VZW's network.

It's just not looking good so far in terms of equality of treatment for other devices on VZW now that Apple is in. This is my only gripe.

Competition breeds creativity and development... so I say bring it on.
  14. Marky Mark

Marky Mark New Member

Let's get back to the basics for a sec. Ya pick up ur phone, dial a number, and connect to whomever u dialed while standing/sitting from anywhere in the world. Works for me! :) lol
  15. jeagolf

jeagolf New Member

That is one of the very reasons I DROPPED ATT less than 90 days ago and got my Droid 2. I was so freaking sick of dropped calls and a crappy network. :icon_evil:

I fear that the iphone will cripple VZW network just like it has done to ATT.

JUST A GUESS HERE........... BUT.......... "I think that ATT service will actually improve when 20-30% of their clients jump ship and move to VZW. I think that with the reduction in users in ATT network their dropped calls will be less, and VZW dropped calls will increase."

I hope not, because as the poster above stated the biggest deal for me is to be able to pick up the phone and have an actuall conversation with out having to call that person back 6 times! :)
  16. Beka27

Beka27 New Member

There always has to be a "first" something, but that doesn't mean it will always be the best. Smartphones are toddlers, just now learning how to walk around in the world. All of these current OS (Android, iOS, RIM) may be gone in 5 years and replaced with something that today, we could not even begin to imagine.

So I won't say "Android 4 life", because who knows what's coming up next. I will say "Android 4 now and the next couple years... probably".

I am curious if reps are going to be expected to start pushing iPhones to customers.
  17. czerdrill

czerdrill New Member

i think they will cuz its an easy sell, and you dont have to go into specifics about specs...everyone knows an iphone, everyone doesn't know android.
  18. jkhonea

jkhonea DF Super Moderator

Overall I think the iPhone is going to sell itself. It won't take much any selling on behalf of the reps. It's a known commodity. People will just line up for it. Ask a general person in public, especially non-tech, what the HTC Thunderbolt Android phone is. Then ask them what the iPhone is. You already know the answer on that one. All the reps will have to do is sit back, ring them up and take orders.
  19. czerdrill

czerdrill New Member

Yeah that's what I mean, it's an easy sell. To be honest, I have never once in all my years of buying phones had a VZW rep try to sell me something that I wasn't there for. In fact, I've never had them try to sell me a phone at all. I'd go in there, say this is what I want, pay for it and leave. There is no chance that if someone goes in for an iPhone that a VZW rep is going to try to convince you to get an android device. There's simply no need for them to do that.
  20. Beka27

Beka27 New Member

Yeah, I just meant as far as Joe Shmoe walking in and having no preference, which phone they would show him first.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.