1. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Why are all 2.1 launchers unreliable?

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by tu3218, Mar 4, 2010.

1. tu3218

tu3218 New Member

I truly don't get this. Every version of the 2.1 launcher I try is always slow, filled with bugs, and just doesn't run properly. I don't know much about programming but considering people figured out how to root the droid, bring live wallpapers, run themes, overclock, etc. I would think we could figure out something like the 2.1 launcher. Obviously the droid can handle something like this, power wise. Anyone care to explain? I'm just curious as to the reason for this an i'm sure someone here has some good knowledge about this programming cause I don't lol.
  2. Humpa

Humpa New Member

people are porting things over, not really reverse engineering anything nor changing the actual programming code.

So, since there isn't a version of the 2.1 Launcher that works properly on the Droid, someone would have to have the knowledge and time to re-code one of the existing ones. The Launcher encompasses quite a lot of functionality on the phones, so this would be no small feat.

... or that is my guess ;)

EDIT: and even the latest leaked ese53 spf (the "official" 2.1 for Droid) does NOT have the 2.1 Launcher in it.
  3. tu3218

tu3218 New Member

yeah makes sense lol I just figured since we were able to live wallpapers working, we could also get the launcher. I just like the clean look of the launcher itself, not just about the 3d viewing.
  4. weaz

weaz New Member

Does that launcher even run flawlessly on the Nexus One?
  5. tu3218

tu3218 New Member

yeah I would like to know that too. Could be the problem, if it doesn't run good on nexus one then it makes good sense the reason is runs so poorly on the droid. But I'm not sure.
  6. ThePravus

ThePravus New Member

I just want the drawer handle in 2.1 so I can get rid of my Phone and Web icons on the home screen. I don't care about live wallpapers and I don't like the 3D App list at all.
  7. mach330

mach330 New Member

yes it does. i never saw a problem with it. when i installed it on the droid, it just lags a lot (most of the time).
  8. billygalbreath

billygalbreath New Member Developer

lags, icon titles not aligned most of the time, and just doesnt work right at all in landscape
  9. tu3218

tu3218 New Member

yeah I agree, I just like the launcher that has the integrated phone an web icon. I wish someone could just make the actual launcher like that, an just keep the actual app drawer the same as it is now. Don't need the 3d one. Just give me the actual launcher an I'd be happy.
  10. pc747

pc747 Administrator Staff Member

I am liking the sense ui 2,1 launcher, but I will admit it is buggy, lags when in portrait mode, and I have had some f/c especially today. Hopefully a dev figure out how to dig deep in the code and fix it. For now I will have to deal with my buggy launcher lol. Good point op.
  11. clucernoni

clucernoni New Member

I'm glad other are mentioning the phone and web app on the drawer...that is the only reason I wanted the 2.1 launcher. I couldn't care less about anything else and is the sole reason (i'm serious) that I use GDE. I hate having those stupid apps on my desktop when you could save a bunch of room putting it on the drawer.
  12. Big Lou

Big Lou New Member

Try putting an F150's engine inside of a Kia Rio. Sure, you may get it to work, but there's going to be some problems along the way.
  13. tu3218

tu3218 New Member

I get what your saying but I don't think the launcher is something that complicated. I'm pretty sure the droid can handle it. But yeah, I guess its just a matter of getting the right settings in the code.
  14. LtKen

LtKen New Member

That's just how software works. Anyone who's ever done any programming or code porting can tell you it's never as easy as you think it should be.

If it was, people who do it well wouldn't be nearly as important as they are.