Why an app for Facebook instead of browser? Looking for a GOOD FB app? Look here!

OP
Jonny Kansas

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I just installed it as, like you said in the original post, the native app practically sucks. So far it's worked out really well... it's def. a keeper. Thanks for the heads up.

Not a problem! Like I said, in a previous post, I've been using it for so long that I take it for granted and I figure that maybe people aren't liking it when they first try it out because they're not sure what's up with it...especially after using the stock app.

Random update that's more of a sidenote: I've e-mailed a link to this thread to the dev of bloo in case he wants to use the info I put together, or in case he wants to direct people here for basic help/faq/etc.

Also updating the OP with info about getting a code. I just flashed the new Bugless Beast ERES25 and had to reinstall/reauthorize bloo...and I had a hell of a time figuring out that I needed to be signed in to facebook in the browser to get it to not take me to the touch site, but to the code generating page!

tcrews

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
android.snkbitten.com
Decided to give it another go, searched on Facebook "Bloo Android" and found a group and saw the problem I was having listed in the "discussions". There were some links posted..

Click on each of the links and allow access to Bloo to each of these items:

and after "allowing" each permission each link brought up everything was working fine.

Shadez

Super Mod/News Team
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69
Just tried it and it pretty much sucked for me. Wouldn't let me view but a few of the profiles of friends I have on Facebook. I couldn't even view my own profile. Error pop up saying "there is no profile information or you are not friends with this profile" or something like that. Uninstalled.

I could view my pictures but not my profile, and I liked the way it handled pictures a LOT. I could visit the profile of someone I added a few days ago but not mine, my fiance's, my best friend's or any of the others I regularly visit. This was a complete deal breaker for me.

Yea and I cant find a way to look up a profile that isnt a friend..

OP
Jonny Kansas

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Yea and I cant find a way to look up a profile that isnt a friend..

Unfortunately, I don't think this is a feature of bloo at this time. I personally prefer to do stuff like that on the computer anyway, especially if I don't have someone's email address. As I said be for, I keep a fairly small friends list of people I want to keep in touch with.

And, again, it's still in beta and still being worked on. It's not perfect, but it IS convenient for quite a few functions.

rlb

Reaction score
I too am liking this app much better than the stock app.

The only things I'm missing are the ability to see when my friends become friends w/ someone new, or when they join a new group.

Also, notifications as an option on the home screen would be nice (instead of going to Menu>Notifications). Another useful update would be to add a home option if you press Menu.

Hopefully the dev checks out this thread :)

OP
Jonny Kansas

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I too am liking this app much better than the stock app.

The only things I'm missing are the ability to see when my friends become friends w/ someone new, or when they join a new group.

Also, notifications as an option on the home screen would be nice (instead of going to Menu>Notifications). Another useful update would be to add a home option if you press Menu.

Hopefully the dev checks out this thread :)

Yeah...I wouldn't mind knowing when someone becomes friends with someone else. That'd make it easier to find other people I might not realize are on FB that I'd like to keep in touch with.

As for groups, personally, I'm not that big of a fan of them. I realize there are a lot of them that support great things, but I really do just like to use bloo to keep in touch.

Again, I think the Facebook API comes into play here. Seems like it's setup for the UTMOST security. It doesn't want to give out information that a lot of people don't want to be completely public (my profile is set to private. I use Google buzz and Twitter for more public networking). While that's understandable, the API DOES require users to authorize third party apps to be able to do what they want, so I don't see why we couldn't authorize it to access that information if we trust bloo.

I imagine that's because of the large amounts of Facebook users who aren't very savvy and might not understand what they're authorizing...

Only time will tell if the API will allow us to do the things that we want to be able to do from a third party app...since they can't seem to get their heads out of their a**es to fix the "official" app. (My opinion. I've emailed the "dev" of the FB app through the market. No reply, no fix. Thanks.) :soapbox:

microsnook

Reaction score
Alright, I clicked on the three links provided by you to help w/ the login process, but every time I click on get codes, it makes me login, and then its just my facebook page. There are NO NUMBERS. What the heck!

OP
Jonny Kansas

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Alright, I clicked on the three links provided by you to help w/ the login process, but every time I click on get codes, it makes me login, and then its just my facebook page. There are NO NUMBERS. What the heck!

What browser are you using? You may have to make sure you're logged in and select for it to remember you. Also, if you're using the (useless) touch site, try scrolling down to the bottom and selecting mobile site ore full site before pressing get code. You could also try searching for the bloo app from your desktop and see if there's a place there to get an authorization code.

OP
Jonny Kansas

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks

bigtmonee

Reaction score
I have a few issues...

1. When I view all my notifications and click one, a message comes up saying, "no associated story with this notification" and it doesn't take me to the notification. So I can't view them to comment back easily.

2. Even when I manually refresh my profile, new comments (not wall posts) are not showing up.

3. I can't find any of the contact sync options.

If anyone can give me any suggestions or tips thatd be great thanks!

OP
Jonny Kansas

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I have a few issues...

1. When I view all my notifications and click one, a message comes up saying, "no associated story with this notification" and it doesn't take me to the notification. So I can't view them to comment back easily.

2. Even when I manually refresh my profile, new comments (not wall posts) are not showing up.

3. I can't find any of the contact sync options.

If anyone can give me any suggestions or tips thatd be great thanks!

Items 1 and 2 are problems with the facebook api. basically, the fb servers aren't allowing the info to be processed. Unfortunately, this happens on occasion, but isn't the fault of the app. I feel your pain though. It's been screwed up for a few days. Fb isn't real friendly with third party apps.

Number 3, when viewing a friend, click menu, then view info, then menu, then merge contact, select a contact from the list. It'll give you people with names similar to their fb profile name if you have them differently in the phone.