Why an app for Facebook instead of browser? Looking for a GOOD FB app? Look here!

zach471

Reaction score
Honestly, I don't know. I've tried everything from checking the notification boxes in teh app itself and then adding full permission via the PC. I'm getting feeds and inboxes etc. in the app, but no notifications. I'm at a loss.

Do I need to remove the Facebook app from the phone, or disable notifications? I don't get them through the facebook app either, only through GMAIL via email notices.

OP
Jonny Kansas

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
You don't have to do anything with the stock app. I just leave it as is. bloo doesn't give friend request notifications right now, so the stock app will handle that and makes syncing contacts easier.

As for notifications, here's the setup I use that gives me notifications in almost real-time and doesn't tear a hole in my battery...
CAP201003022238.jpg

Obviously, make sure notifications are enabled.
Timer: 2 minutes
Alert Style: I use sound and vibrate, but you should be sure that it's not set on MUTE
Sound: Pick your own. I use Facebook Pop. :D

Also, be sure you give it some time. The Facebook system may take a while to realize that you've granted those permissions.

Sorry if that was too quick. Feel free to ask questions to verify/clarify. I've gotta go to work, but will be checking my e-mail periodically, so I'll try to get back to anyone in a reasonable amount of time!

brock

Reaction score
well i had a problem with it, i tried opening it again tonight and it said i had to give it permission so i clicked give permission and it just brought me to the news feed in the browser, so i tried uninstalling and reinstalling. then it asked me for my code again which i didn't have, clicked get code and same story, just brought me to the news feed in my browser.

Mikeal007

Reaction score
well i had a problem with it, i tried opening it again tonight and it said i had to give it permission so i clicked give permission and it just brought me to the news feed in the browser, so i tried uninstalling and reinstalling. then it asked me for my code again which i didn't have, clicked get code and same story, just brought me to the news feed in my browser.

I had this same problem. I had to go into droids stock FB app and "LogOut"

As soon as I did that, "Get a Code" work on Bloo.

brock

Reaction score
yep, was just about to post... man that was frustrating.

papy72

Reaction score
Is there a setting somewhere that I've missed which will show these updates as well?

Currently, there's no function for fan pages that I've seen. I'm guessing this is another one of those lovely Facebook API issues. Apparently, Facebook is seald up like a dolphin's butt...water-tight. Haha
The regular FB for Android shows fan pages, so I doubt it's an API thing. If Bloo could implement the fan pages I would never need to open my other FB app.

OP
Jonny Kansas

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
The regular FB for Android shows fan pages, so I doubt it's an API thing. If Bloo could implement the fan pages I would never need to open my other FB app.

The "regular" app is an "official" app and therefor has better access to Facebook content.

At this point, you win some, you lose some....I find the fan pages to be somewhat annoying anyway. Not all of them, but some of them post WAY too often for my taste.

I just want to know what people who I like are up to.

That's just personal preference though, and I can understand why you'd want them to show up in the same place as everything else if you like them, so I'll say it again, bloo is still in beta and there are still things that it's not allowed to/can't access for whatever reason. It's getting better slowly but surely, but, like MOST apps that we use, it's still a work in progress...

OP
Jonny Kansas

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I had to go into droids stock FB app and "LogOut"

As soon as I did that, "Get a Code" work on Bloo.

I'll add that tip to the OP.

Thanks for the info there! I'm pretty sure I was logged into the stock app when I first authorized bloo, so this might be a new issue that didn't exist when I started using the app.

Also, had you been on Facebook in your browser sometime earlier? It could be that there was a malfunction when bloo told the browser to go to Facebook.com/"whatever page the autorization is on" if the page that you were on was in the browser's cache. Not sure if that's truth, but seems like a possibility...(Yeah, I'm guessing...Just got off work, so you know...)

OP
Jonny Kansas

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
what's the diff between the fewer bloo and paid"?

The paid version is obsolete. It used to be that the free version was where the experimental new updates/features were tested. The paid version was only "stable" features. He's done away with using the paid version. It even says so in the market description of it.

JayCizzo

Reaction score
I had tried Bloo several months ago but ended up uninstalling it and I don't really remember why, LOL.

After seeing this thread I decided to install it again last night and everything seems to be working flawlessly, so far. Like you Johnny, I really only care about checking friend updates so this should work good for me. I turned off notifications in the app and have FB set to send me email notifications. I like it better that way because I don't have access to my phone at work but I do have gmail access. Anyway, nice writeup. If/when Bloo gets Facebook chat that will make it even better.

OP
Jonny Kansas

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I had tried Bloo several months ago but ended up uninstalling it and I don't really remember why, LOL.

After seeing this thread I decided to install it again last night and everything seems to be working flawlessly, so far. Like you Johnny, I really only care about checking friend updates so this should work good for me. I turned off notifications in the app and have FB set to send me email notifications. I like it better that way because I don't have access to my phone at work but I do have gmail access. Anyway, nice writeup. If/when Bloo gets Facebook chat that will make it even better.

Glad you found my words useful! I originally had sms notifications enabled, since the stock app didn't offer notifications. I left them on for a little while, but after I saw how well bloo handled them, I turned them off. They were pretty unreliable anyway IMO...sometimes I'd get them and sometimes I wouldn't...

Anj

Reaction score
I just installed it as, like you said in the original post, the native app practically sucks. So far it's worked out really well... it's def. a keeper. Thanks for the heads up.