Why am I in Las Vegas, but not?

Low Saturn

Reaction score
Just curious why my Droid says I'm in Las Vegas when I'm physcially in San Jose, CA.

Beautiful Widgets weather, Weather Bug and Maps say I'm in Las Vegas. In fact I can zoom in on an apartment complex in north Vegas where it says my location is.

It was fine earlier, then all of a sudden, bam, I'm in Vegas.

titans

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Sometimes Google messes up your location...not sure how to fix this or if there is a fix for this.

ACalcutt

Reaction score
maybe its using wifi positioning instead of gps? maybe someone moved from LA and brought their router with them :).

Edit: Try turning off wifi positioning [settings --> Location and security -> Uncheck "Use wireless networks"]

Last edited:

titans

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
If it uses Google to determine location then yes. If not then it shouldn't.

onmyway

Reaction score
One of those places where we have a lot of sweet t
Current Phone Model
G N 4
Little sister in me cannot resist.....what happens there, stays there.......

Seriously......refreshing the location did not fix it? A hard reset? Pulling the battery? I turned mine off leaving Cordova/ Memphis, Tn. recently and when mine was turned back on in Omaha, NB it thought I was still in Cordova....until I refreshed.

SCUBA-GUY

Reaction score
Recently had issues with Google Navigation on the one day I really needed it to work. I did a temporary gig for a production company helping them deliver equipment.

Phone did not show me being in another city but it had me on the wrong streets and it was giving me bad directions.

Shut it down and pulled the battery for a full minute and it started working correctly again. That day was the only time I had issues with navigation. Just happened to be the one day it was critical for me that it work correctly.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Day before yesterday my wife reported to me that Google Navigation was having some issues. It had her in a totally different are then what she was in.

This is the link to see if any problems are being reported by Google:

Apps Status Dashboard

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
Just curious why my Droid says I'm in Las Vegas when I'm physcially in San Jose, CA.

Beautiful Widgets weather, Weather Bug and Maps say I'm in Las Vegas. In fact I can zoom in on an apartment complex in north Vegas where it says my location is.

It was fine earlier, then all of a sudden, bam, I'm in Vegas.

It's an experimental feature of Google Labs. The app reads your desires rather than your actual location. Unfortunately, my phone consistently fails to locate me in Paris.

donnyb

Reaction score
I'm having the same problem. I'm in Sacramento and believe the problem maybe coming for Verizon Mobile Network.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I've had a similar problem, ended up putting me in NY. Just change it back to SJ and you'll be fine.

Bay Area crew! :wave: