why all the talk about S3

Discussion in 'Samsung Galaxy Nexus' started by kunzy, Aug 16, 2012.

1. kunzy

kunzy Member

Ratings:
    +0
    i feel like every article i see online is about the S3 getting JB before the GN. I thought we were going to b IT alot longer than this...lol Samsung kinda put us on the back burner. And I'm obviously talking about the OTA. makes me want to root just because they ain't giving us any love. anyone else feel that way ?

2. cupfulloflol

cupfulloflol Senior Member

Ratings:
    +23
    Samsung has nothing to do with the Galaxy Nexus update process, it is a Google device (with a * which I will get to in a second). The Galaxy Nexus, GSM version, has been on Jelly Bean for quite some time now. The problem is, Verizon and Sprint have to do their testing and own updates (radios and such), which slows down the update processes. Verizon is pretty famous for being late to update parties, and Sprint isn't much better (if any). So this is most definitely a Verizon issue, not even a Google issue.

If the SGS3 is getting Jelly Bean soon, I would bet the Sprint and Verizon versions are left out for a bit. Verizon doesn't care about the Galaxy Nexus, as it makes very little money on it due to very few built in Verizon apps. Other devices come with all sorts of Verizon bloatware, stores, maps, and other stuff that potentially makes them money.

#2 cupfulloflol, Aug 16, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2012
  3. bsweetness

bsweetness Moderator
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +754
    Current Phone Model:
    Pixel XL
    Exactly. Verizon is the reason for the holdup on the Jelly Bean update for the Galaxy Nexus, not Samsung. And all of the talk about Jelly Bean on the S3 is for the international version, not the carrier branded versions. It will be awhile before the carrier branded versions of the S3, especially the Verizon version, see a Jelly Bean update for the exact same reasons why the LTE Galaxy Nexus hasn't received Jelly Bean yet.

4. someloser

someloser New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Y U NO ROOT AND GET JELLYBEANS???

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

5. ntrddragn

ntrddragn Member

Ratings:
    +6
    Haha Haha...hear u go

View attachment 54715

6. tgyberg

tgyberg Silver Member

Ratings:
    +325
    Current Phone Model:
    Pixel XL & C
    Yes, root and get me please!

[​IMG]

7. dezymond

dezymond Tech Support Mod
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +1,667
    Current Phone Model:
    Google Pixel
    Nexus was made for developers and is supported by developers. I got the phone for developer support, not Verizon support. They can talk up the s3 or any other phone for that matter, I am perfectly happy with my Nexus.

8. cr6

cr6 Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +6,703
    Current Phone Model:
    Galaxy S7 Edge
    Twitter:
    @dronewolfmedia
    Good point dezy....as are most Nexus users. (Which by the way have had JB for a few weeks now. At least the ones I know personally)
    :D
    tap'n

9. someloser

someloser New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Yes! Exactly! Thank you!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

10. rjcapp

rjcapp Member

Ratings:
    +4
    No doubt frustrating for stock phone users. You know it always takes way too long for otas'.

You have options. You can have jb right now with customization.

Anyone considering a custom jb ROM do your self a favor and save yourself a ton of headaches. Flash jbsourcery and enjoy the ride.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Droid Forums

11. Hugg727

Hugg727 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Why would you get the Nexus and not root? The entire purpose of that phone is to be a developers canvas.

If rooting/roms arent your thing then you really cant complain about not having the latest /greatest. This site and the people on it are a great resource to those who have phone issues and who are new to rooting their phone. I am fairly technical but this was my first Android phone after having a BB for 12 years. I spent some time in the forums before I rooted and started flashing roms. Having members here like Dezymond and Sbenson is like having your own personal Android "Geek Squad" and have helped me many times. They and other members on here have posted detailed steps on how to root, rom, flash etc. Dont be afraid...do a little research in here and come over to the "dark"side, you will have plenty of help.

I do agree that Verizon is disappointing when it comes to OTA updates, but we all knew that going in, didn't we?

12. jgmecarter

jgmecarter Member

Ratings:
    +7
    The point of the nexus is not to root. Its so you can have a pure Google phone. If people want to root it that's great but a lot of people just do not like all crap that companies put on the phone. You can root any phone so if the only reason you get a nexus is to root it then you do not know much about smartphones. And if you have a nexus then one of the advantages of the phone is getting updates faster than any other phone. So he does have the right to be upset because Verizon has messed this phone up.

#12 jgmecarter, Aug 17, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2012