why all the talk about S3

kunzy

Reaction score
i feel like every article i see online is about the S3 getting JB before the GN. I thought we were going to b IT alot longer than this...lol Samsung kinda put us on the back burner. And I'm obviously talking about the OTA. makes me want to root just because they ain't giving us any love. anyone else feel that way ?

cupfulloflol

Reaction score
i feel like every article i see online is about the S3 getting JB before the GN. I thought we were going to b IT alot longer than this...lol Samsung kinda put us on the back burner. And I'm obviously talking about the OTA. makes me want to root just because they ain't giving us any love. anyone else feel that way ?

Samsung has nothing to do with the Galaxy Nexus update process, it is a Google device (with a * which I will get to in a second). The Galaxy Nexus, GSM version, has been on Jelly Bean for quite some time now. The problem is, Verizon and Sprint have to do their testing and own updates (radios and such), which slows down the update processes. Verizon is pretty famous for being late to update parties, and Sprint isn't much better (if any). So this is most definitely a Verizon issue, not even a Google issue.

If the SGS3 is getting Jelly Bean soon, I would bet the Sprint and Verizon versions are left out for a bit. Verizon doesn't care about the Galaxy Nexus, as it makes very little money on it due to very few built in Verizon apps. Other devices come with all sorts of Verizon bloatware, stores, maps, and other stuff that potentially makes them money.

Last edited:

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
Samsung has nothing to do with the Galaxy Nexus, it is a Google device. The Galaxy Nexus, GSM version, has been on Jelly Bean for quite some time now. The problem is, Verizon and Sprint have to do their testing and own updates, which slows down the update processes. Verizon is pretty famous for being late to update parties, and Sprint isn't much better (if any).

If the SGS3 is getting Jelly Bean soon, I would bet the Sprint and Verizon versions are left out for a bit. Verizon doesn't care about the Galaxy Nexus, as it makes very little money on it due to very few built in Verizon apps. Other devices come with all sorts of Verizon bloatware, stores, maps, and other stuff that potentially makes them money.

Exactly. Verizon is the reason for the holdup on the Jelly Bean update for the Galaxy Nexus, not Samsung. And all of the talk about Jelly Bean on the S3 is for the international version, not the carrier branded versions. It will be awhile before the carrier branded versions of the S3, especially the Verizon version, see a Jelly Bean update for the exact same reasons why the LTE Galaxy Nexus hasn't received Jelly Bean yet.

someloser

Reaction score

Y U NO ROOT AND GET JELLYBEANS???

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
Y U NO ROOT AND GET JELLYBEANS???

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Yes, root and get me please!

29nwajt.png

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Nexus was made for developers and is supported by developers. I got the phone for developer support, not Verizon support. They can talk up the s3 or any other phone for that matter, I am perfectly happy with my Nexus.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
Good point dezy....as are most Nexus users. (Which by the way have had JB for a few weeks now. At least the ones I know personally)
:D
tap'n

rjcapp

Reaction score
No doubt frustrating for stock phone users. You know it always takes way too long for otas'.

You have options. You can have jb right now with customization.

Anyone considering a custom jb ROM do your self a favor and save yourself a ton of headaches. Flash jbsourcery and enjoy the ride.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Droid Forums

Hugg727

Reaction score

Why would you get the Nexus and not root? The entire purpose of that phone is to be a developers canvas.

If rooting/roms arent your thing then you really cant complain about not having the latest /greatest. This site and the people on it are a great resource to those who have phone issues and who are new to rooting their phone. I am fairly technical but this was my first Android phone after having a BB for 12 years. I spent some time in the forums before I rooted and started flashing roms. Having members here like Dezymond and Sbenson is like having your own personal Android "Geek Squad" and have helped me many times. They and other members on here have posted detailed steps on how to root, rom, flash etc. Dont be afraid...do a little research in here and come over to the "dark"side, you will have plenty of help.

I do agree that Verizon is disappointing when it comes to OTA updates, but we all knew that going in, didn't we?

jgmecarter

Reaction score
Hugg727 said:
Why would you get the Nexus and not root? The entire purpose of that phone is to be a developers canvas.

If rooting/roms arent your thing then you really cant complain about not having the latest /greatest. This site and the people on it are a great resource to those who have phone issues and who are new to rooting their phone. I am fairly technical but this was my first Android phone after having a BB for 12 years. I spent some time in the forums before I rooted and started flashing roms. Having members here like Dezymond and Sbenson is like having your own personal Android "Geek Squad" and have helped me many times. They and other members on here have posted detailed steps on how to root, rom, flash etc. Dont be afraid...do a little research in here and come over to the "dark"side, you will have plenty of help.

I do agree that Verizon is disappointing when it comes to OTA updates, but we all knew that going in, didn't we?

The point of the nexus is not to root. Its so you can have a pure Google phone. If people want to root it that's great but a lot of people just do not like all crap that companies put on the phone. You can root any phone so if the only reason you get a nexus is to root it then you do not know much about smartphones. And if you have a nexus then one of the advantages of the phone is getting updates faster than any other phone. So he does have the right to be upset because Verizon has messed this phone up.

Last edited:

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
The point of the nexus is not to root. Its so you can have a pure Google phone. If people want to root it that's great but a lot of people just do not like all crap that companies put on the phone. You can root any phone so if the only reason you get a nexus is to root it then you do not know much about smartphones. And if you have a nexus then one of the advantages of the phone is getting updates faster than any other phone. So he does have the right to be upset because Verizon has messed this phone up.

Having a pure Android experience is one of the many points of the Nexus phones, along with providing reference hardware for other manufactures and providing a development platform. It's in that last part - providing a development platform - that rooting is very much a part of. Easily rooting the phone and easily unlocking the bootloader are definitely major points of the Nexus line, and have been since day one. Not everyone who buys a Nexus buys it for those reasons, but they're equally valid reasons as to why the Nexus line exists.

Verizon (as well as Sprint) has definitely hindered what the experience is supposed to be with the Galaxy Nexus. But part of the beauty of the Nexus phones is that they're designed so that you don't have to wait on official updates. So, while it may not be the reason why everyone buys a Nexus phone, rooting is very much a part of one of the major points of the Nexus line.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Having a pure Android experience is one of the many points of the Nexus phones, along with providing reference hardware for other manufactures and providing a development platform. It's in that last part - providing a development platform - that rooting is very much a part of. Easily rooting the phone and easily unlocking the bootloader are definitely major points of the Nexus line, and have been since day one. Not everyone who buys a Nexus buys it for those reasons, but they're equally valid reasons as to why the Nexus line exists.

Verizon (as well as Sprint) has definitely hindered what the experience is supposed to be with the Galaxy Nexus. But part of the beauty of the Nexus phones is that they're designed so that you don't have to wait on official updates. So, while it may not be the reason why everyone buys a Nexus phone, rooting is very much a part of one of the major points of the Nexus line.
Completely agree.

It is arguably the single reason why people get the Nexus. If not, it's because they want the Google experience, but if they get it on Verizon or Sprint, they are not going to get it. I've said it over and over again, Verizon botched it from the beginning and if anyone thinks they're going to turn that around anytime soon, sorry to burst your bubble, but I highly doubt they make the effort to especially with their signature Droid line.

For those complaining about a lack of updates, there really is no reason to. A simple unlock and root can get you on your way. If you're worried about bricking the device, it's almost impossible, thanks to the great dev community. If you don't want to learn adb, for whatever reason, there are toolkits available to make sure everything goes smoothly, check out Wug's toolkit for example. The updates in the dev community may not be "Verizon official", but we've been dangled on strings long enough by the big red with this phone. I finally have it in my hands, well I said that like 9 months ago, but they're not going to stop me from fully enjoying this phone through dev support.

Rooting and ROMing are a huge reason as why the Nexus line is still around. And I'll be happy to live up to that unofficial legacy. Verizon may have robbed us of the true Google experience, but they can't rob us from the dev community.:p

OP
K

kunzy

Reaction score
thanks everyone for ur replies. i think that everyone's opinion of rooting and not rooting are definitely valid for there own personnel reasons. I'm a little hesitant to root only because I'm not sure i want to b flashing roms all the time to find something i like. i guess I'm still relatively happy with ICS....its just hard when u know an update is right there at ur fingertips and its just taking soooooo long to actually OTA.... I really appreciate what most of u r doing and someday when my awesome nexus gets a little boring i will probably root but til than keep up the good work and the most enjoyable reading on the internet bar none