Why All The Fanboy-ism? Can't We All Just Get Along?

Discussion in 'Non-Android Smart Phones' started by Dave12308, Jul 1, 2010.

1. Dave12308

Dave12308 New Member

It seems like more and more these days, everytime I go into a thread about the iPhone, there are a whole bunch of iPhanboys bashing other platforms, and vice-versa. "iPhone sucks"........ "Android = phail"...... crap like that. I ask this: why? Aren't we (for the most part) mature ADULTS? Do we really have nothing better to do than bash each other's choice of phone?

I guess i'm different than most, I base my like/dislike of a device on it's technical merits. Not by the name brand. I mean, after all, if the iPhone 4 sucks; well, that means the Droid Incredible/Droid X/Droid 2 must suck as well, right? After all, they're all based on the same ARM Cortex A8 CPU..... What makes any one better than the other? The true answer is absolutely nothing.

Yet, the fanboyism continues. Remember, folks, there is room in the market for more than one device, and for more than one OS. Competition makes each and every device stronger. If it weren't for manufacturers constantly trying to one-up each other, the market would remain stagnant. Competition breeds innovation. Just remember that.
  2. wuyanks

wuyanks DF News Team Premium Member

agreed for the most part.

however, the way Apple treats their customers is terrible.

first, limiting their phone to only one carrier (and the worst one, at that)
    secondly, for denying/putting off major problems with their devices
    thirdly, locking down their devices

the list goes on and on.

also, it's fun, just like rooting for a team in a sport, you're rooting for an OS. but yes people should be more objective than they are, but i guess that's a fault of human nature to be subjective.
  3. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member Premium Member

I agree with you Dave. I am particularly sick of people jumping all over Steve Jobs and Apple in general.

I've never had an iPhone, probably never will. Who am I to say iPhone sucks?

But it's going to happen so all you can do is ignore it. Take a trip over to Crackberry and go into the Storm threads. They will stand by their Storm no matter how bad it is. I can talk about that one, I had one for over a year. And they will bad mouth iPhone and Droid. People take sides, it's phone wars.

Best thing to do is just ignore it.

I've never been in an iPhone forum but I'll bet they are anti Android over there too. It's just not the Droid, it's everywhere.
  4. Backnblack

Backnblack Premium Member Premium Member

truth hurts.....
  5. Johnly

Johnly Guest

I guess it comes down to freedom to voice your opinion:) Yes, yours should be heard too....
  6. tktouch12

tktouch12 New Member

it does get too aggressive sometimes, but some of it is people expressing their very one-sided opinions. i think android is way better than iPhone, but i still love iphones.
  7. OneTenderRebel

OneTenderRebel New Member

I guarentee that if some dev from this forum were to come in here and post a thread about how Apple doesn't actually suck the vast majority of the Apple haters would fall in line. Most people just just copy whatever the popular opinion is without really searching it out on their own. Not calling anyone out or saying some people don't have legit reasons to hate but about 90% of people just jump on board and go along for the ride. People also seem to forget our Droid is not without fault. How about the headphone jack issue? Or how about the 2.1 ota sending a number of phones into bootloops. I love my Droid and don't want an iPhone but I also don't need to waste my life on hating a piece of technology.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
  8. Johnly

Johnly Guest

The followers any way : )
  9. OneTenderRebel

OneTenderRebel New Member

Yes the followers, I find the majority of people who have legit reasons to hate apple dont go out of their way to spread that hatred like wildfire.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
  10. Dave12308

Dave12308 New Member

Like anything else in the customer support world, it seems like Apple's customer service is hit or miss. As for the exclusivity clause, that's something the carriers like, though. I am sure that AT&T was THRILLED at the notion of the iPhone being an exclusive for them. And to be fair, it's not like other carriers didn't have a chance - it seems to me that VZW had first dibs on the iPhone; but didn't like the way Apple wanted to control the device, and not them.

I guess what I was really getting at was the fanboys who knock the actual hardware without even researching it. I've seen people state that the Motorola Droid (not Droid X/Droid 2) is MORE powerful than the iPhone 4 - which simply isn't true. And i've seen people claim that the iPhone 4 is MORE powerful than the Droid X (which again isn't true).

I am a hardware geek at heart, though. I'm way more interested in the merits of a platform from the hardware side of things. I just get tired of the mindset that a particular platform needs to be "killed". There's room in the market for ALL the devices, IMHO (EVEN Windows Phone 7)
  11. Dave12308

Dave12308 New Member

Yeah, I hear you there... I was a Storm "sufferer" myself. I still can't get over the people who swear up and down that the Storm (on BIS) handles Exchange better than a stock Droid.... Yeah, if you prefer OWA login to Activesync; and don't mind the fact that subfolder support is completely missing *LOL*

The Storm (and BB in general) might be awesome for a corporate user who's company is heavily invested in a BES infrastructure. But otherwise, the platform just doesn't compare.
  12. smokiedabong

smokiedabong New Member

It's because deep down each one of us lies a small troll , ready to surface .
  13. Johnly

Johnly Guest

:pint::popcorn:
  14. Mikejl

Mikejl Member

People just love to root for their team. Human nature.

If a parent has a kid on both teams, they kind of root for both teams or wonder why people have to take the game so serious.

Mike