Why 4G?

mjforte

Reaction score
Don't get me wrong, I'm just as excited as anyone to have 4G speeds on my phone, but with these faster speeds, also comes faster dead batteries. It's been seen on the Evo using Wimax and I'm afraid it'll be the same with the Thunderbolt and any other new LTE phones. Why do these new radios kill batteries so fast and is it really worth it to have these faster speeds if your battery is going to be dead in a few hours? I almost don't see the point in 4G at the time being until better battery technology emerges or the software/hardware is better utilized for better battery life. Anyone feel the same?

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
I havent seen anything to indicate that battery life will suffer on 4G anymore than it does on 3G. LTE and WIMAX are very different technologies -- lets wait and see.

eriscrazy

Reaction score
I agree because it is going to be a while before 4g is everywhere anyways. Also I agree on the evos battery life is garbage because of the radios suck it right out of them. Ill stick with my 3g, and like the OP said im all for 4g but I would rather have a long battery life over faster network speed. Just my opinion.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
The hardware (battery) will catch up to the technology in time. Remember, this is only the first wave of 4g devices, so they'll all have their flaws, battery life could definitely be one of them.

Coming from an Incredible owner, i doubt the 4g devices battery life couldn't be that much worse if it is.

OP
M

mjforte

Reaction score
Well I really hope batteries improve because not only do we have 4G radios in phones, but processors just keep getting better too. I know they say dual and quad cores are supposed to be better on battery life, but I'm skeptical until we see real world use.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

Tillyswilly

Reaction score
Yea the batt is the issue that ic as the biggest one when these dual core pros and 4g is released but I guess we will see

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
I can't think of 1 reason why I need 4g...

UNC

Reaction score
Gaming on the go will be awesome with a 4g hotspot. CoD in the car! Awesome.

Watching HD youtube videos instantly... streaming movies.... I can think of a few reasons. Browsing faster is worth $20 a month to me, even without the other things I said.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I average maybe 700kbps on 3G. Really just unacceptable to me for any sort of real browsing or video streaming I might like to do. Even Pandora sometimes kicks me down to std def.

9wire

Reaction score
I'm either just doing a quick check on something,or on wifi. I love my dx, and think I'll wait for the dust to settle on the new tech and 4g. Don't have an upgrade till April anyway.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
Well I really hope batteries improve because not only do we have 4G radios in phones, but processors just keep getting better too. I know they say dual and quad cores are supposed to be better on battery life, but I'm skeptical until we see real world use.

Expect worse battery life with 4G. The Thunderbolt will be on the charger every couple hours. Slight exaggeration but the battery life will be dismal for sure.

Sent from my Droid

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Expect worse battery life with 4G. The Thunderbolt will be on the charger every couple hours. Slight exaggeration but the battery life will be dismal for sure.

We'll see. Stronger and faster signal means it doesn't take as long to get data, so the CPU doesn't have to work as hard. I mean, with wifi my battery life is better on the D1, although it does "bleed" a bit more when not in use (but not much more).

OP
M

mjforte

Reaction score
I'm suprised they put such a small battery in the Thunderbolt at only 1400mah. And HTC's phones are not known to have good battery life anyway, just look at the Dinc. Add 4G to the mix and I think you have a dead battery pretty quickly. I know the Snapdragon on the Thunderbolt is supposed to be better on battery but still. Anyone have or use a MT4G, because I believe it uses the same Snapdragon?