Who's waiting for the Nexus / Droid Prime?

UNC

Reaction score
Yeah those benchmarks were ridiculous...very impressive by Apple

*Puts on flame suit*

Yeah, when I saw the "Specs" of both devices I figured the Galaxy S2 would smoke the iPhone, boy was I wrong!!!!

An Aircraft carrier has 26,000hp compared to a Ski-boats ~250, yet the Ski-boat has much much less heft to carry around and therefore makes it faster. Sadly, Android appears to be the heft!!!! I have said it hundreds of times, VM's suck at running code, even Dalvik VM!!! Or it could just be that iPhone has a much better GPU, SGX543. In theory 800mhz with 512mb ram would be much slower than 1.2-1.5ghz with 1gb ram, but in practice.....
Like I said though, I need to see ALL of the benchmarks before I can be certain which is faster, but right now it's not even close!!!! And to get that speed out of 800mhz is alot better on the battery.

I'm still up in the air, as I think ICS looks pretty sweet, and the phone definitely looks sweet. I just hate buying something that is not only not the best, but outclassed by such a wide margin.

Last edited:

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
*Puts on flame suit*

Yeah, when I saw the "Specs" of both devices I figured the Galaxy S2 would smoke the iPhone, boy was I wrong!!!!

An Aircraft carrier has 26,000hp compared to a Ski-boats ~250, yet the Ski-boat has much much less heft to carry around and therefore makes it faster. Sadly, Android appears to be the heft!!!! I have said it hundreds of times, VM's suck at running code, even Dalvik VM!!! Or it could just be that iPhone has a much better GPU, SGX543. In theory 800mhz with 512mb ram would be much slower than 1.2-1.5ghz with 1gb ram, but in practice.....
Like I said though, I need to see ALL of the benchmarks before I can be certain which is faster, but right now it's not even close!!!! And to get that speed out of 800mhz is alot better on the battery.

I'm still up in the air, as I think ICS looks pretty sweet, and the phone definitely looks sweet. I just hate buying something that is not only not the best, but outclassed by such a wide margin.

Yeh honestly its unreal based on the prelim benchmarks, but that's one of the benefits of vertical integration of course. That being said, I'm going to probably still end up with the ICS device whenever its announced and comes out. Although my girl is getting the 4s, so i'll be able to see it in all its glory tomorrow haha

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
Yea, I just looked the ip4s benchmarks up. Wow, look at the FPS leap from the ip4! I mean its not even on the same planet! (I still don't want it tho!)

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
*Puts on flame suit*

You make a good point, and its funny I heard a similar argument from some one about the same thing. Basically the person stated that android keeps throwing more processors at it instead of fixing the problem. Interesting.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
You make a good point, and its funny I heard a similar argument from some one about the same thing. Basically the person stated that android keeps throwing more processors at it instead of fixing the problem. Interesting.

Yeah it was a great analogy. Its true though. Android/Google need to work on the polish of the software instead of throwing better specs into the mix. While 1.5GHz and 1GB of RAM sounds great on paper, only someone in denial would try to say its as polished as iOS and the benchmarks show how ridiculously unreal the 4s's performance is. Android has the spec game on lock, now let's work on the software.

doublea500

Reaction score
Yeah it was a great analogy. Its true though. Android/Google need to work on the polish of the software instead of throwing better specs into the mix. While 1.5GHz and 1GB of RAM sounds great on paper, only someone in denial would try to say its as polished as iOS and the benchmarks show how ridiculously unreal the 4s's performance is. Android has the spec game on lock, now let's work on the software.

That is correct however, the manufacturers just make the phones. By putting up the great specs it appeals to the public and lets be honest, with that kind of specs its going to be fast. Its googles job to make the software, not samsungs. Samsungs done their part by making a great phone, google has to match them with the software. and also, the new os, ICS, is going to be released, quite obviously its not going to be as smooth or flawless as the Ios but lets just hope it comes close.

UNC

Reaction score
Now, there is some allure for a small segment of the population (us) to something that is not living up to its technical specifications. Back in the old days we were called tinkerers.... Someone like me for example may be able to extract a little something extra from the superior (spec wise) device. But if any layman picks up a stock Android device and a stock iPhone 4s, the difference in response speed would blow them away.

Androids strength is mid range phones and nerds lol, and they will continue to dominate that, but for straight up power the iPhone 4s may be tops until iPhone 4gs and iPhone 5.

Android will be in a tough fight for top end devices unless a new battery technology comes available out of the blue.

Or the rest of the benchmarks come out tomorrow and the iPhone is not that much faster all together!! <- could happen

William_04_x

Reaction score
I get an upgrade this December. C'mon Prime.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums

alboboy10

Reaction score
What do you mean stock for stock apple wins...that's not true.

Again it all depends on what you use your phone for. The iPhone is smoother but I wouldn't say it's better

tono80

Reaction score
Some people here remind me of my college roommate who waited 4 years to buy his computer, because "the next computer with awesome specs was coming next month". Unless you're running a powerful app like AutoCAD or Photoshop why not getting what's out there now? Are the current specs going to limit you? The way technology is turning around nowadays, a 6-month old device is already obsolete.

Here's the twist: I'm being hypocritical and I am waiting. I'm returning my Bionic this weekend (yes, because of the PenTile screen, which my eyes can't stand). That to me is not only a limitation, but a downgrade from my G1.

Does anyone know if the Prime/Nexus or Razr will have a PenTile screen? Cus if they do, I'll just stick with by Bionic and watch images through a screen door on a generously powerful phone.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums