Who's ready? (or not)

Discussion in 'LG G2' started by Hugh Jass, Sep 3, 2013.

1. mountainbikermark

mountainbikermark Super Moderator
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +4,334
    My thing with lack of updates is what Verizon messes up they take forever, if ever, to do another update to fix what they broke. My camera is basically useless since my last Rezound update and I can count on that being that way until the phone finally dies. Camera Zoom FX helped a lot but they removed metering capability and the phone can no longer seem to meter a scene worth a hoot. It starts defaults to VERY dark unless the light is even across the entire shooting area.
    They sent an update out the the Inc 1 that made most of them a paperweight, then many months later finally sent one that if you could stop your phone from being stuck in a reboot loop long enough and jump through the boot up in safe mode and delete the partition cache it fixed the boot loop issue but threw the flash on the camera timing to almost a full second after the camera took the picture as well as manning the phone very susceptible to false battery temperature reading causing the phone to, you guessed it, boot loops until you pulled the battery. I won't even go into what they did to Windows Mobile phones with their updates.

Support Our Troops!!!
    <><
    Notate

2. LuvMusic

LuvMusic Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I suspect you are using the term "lagging" to mean "being behind." However system lag that develops over time has been an issue with Android. The new 4.3 release addressed that issue by implementing TRIM to manage RAM. In my 2013 Nexus 7 it does make a difference. If the LG2 had released with 4.3, I might have bought it today. Since it didn't, I'll wait a little.

Also it was mentioned that the Nexus 5 "LG2" might sacrifice some of the features that make the phone cool. This could be true but given that the Nexus 5 will launch with KitKat, I wouldn't make that assumption. While I want to upgrade, I'm not in dire need, so I will wait a little.

3. Hugh Jass

Hugh Jass Senior Member

Ratings:
    +123
    I was talking about software level. System lag is an issue with computing in general, not Android. But a new computer will conceal the lag with better processor, memory size, bus speed...than say my 07' laptop for instance. This old rig needs a refresh every 6-8 months even on windows 7 to stay in good shape. New computers don't have the problem so much because they have room for issues to exist without the user experiencing them. I think Smartphones are to that point. I'm using an old X2 right now that starts to lag after 20 days of a reset. My bionic took months to experience the same thing (before it met it's untimely death in an accident).

However Mark is getting to the point in his post above yours, it's not OEM's that are screwing up everything, it's the carriers. The process is broken in every way, and sometimes the updates are more problematic than the stock software on the device anyhow.

4. ajarnfalang

ajarnfalang Member

Ratings:
    +6
    Yea. I don't mind that much. They say 4.3 has TRIM support. If that's the case and makes the experience better then, I wouldn't mind an update, but it's not urgent.

I think at least 1 update for the G2 is fair.

5. jntdroid

jntdroid Super Moderator
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +315
    Tried to play with the one at my local VZW store last night... they had it all hooked up so it was hard to feel if the buttons would work or not, but they felt somewhat hard to "read" by my fingers. The back was horribly greasy as well - as bad or worse than the S4's grease-grabbing plastic.

However, the device itself felt incredibly solid and for the 3 seconds I could get the phone to stay on, the screen was absolutely gorgeous. They had it plugged into a usb cable that the phone didn't like, so the battery was dead. Clearly they didn't care that the phone was released... it was at the end of the Samsung table, laying on its side, plugged into a separate usb "station" (possibly in an attempt to get it to charge up). No signs or anything anywhere about the phone being released. Too bad... a little marketing would go a long way for that phone.

6. bkdodger

bkdodger Administrator
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +7,494
    Current Phone Model:
    Note 10+
    It's so funny how Verizon trains their reps to push nothing but the Droid lines...I went into the store yesterday as well...As soon you walk into the store there is a big Droid ad and all the Motorola phones...then Windows to the right and Iphone all in the middle...you have to go to the back to get to the Samsung phones and in line with them there was LG2 sitting next to LG Stratosphere ..

I had the same thoughts on the phone...my least favorite thing was the shiny blue metallic fingerprint magnet...I couldn't get the feel for the buttons with the stupid security tag right there next to it..I did get to play with it plenty and the screen looks sharp...menus were flowing quickly without any hesitation..videos played nicely (although I found volume a bit lower than I'd like)..tap to turn on is nice (reminds me of app on Nexus did the same to wake)..camera was good (I have to check it out again bc felt not as quick to snap as recent phones I've tested)..

#30 bkdodger, Sep 13, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2013
  7. ajarnfalang

ajarnfalang Member

Ratings:
    +6
    The Verizon LG G2 is different than all others. They changed the buttons.

8. bkdodger

bkdodger Administrator
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +7,494
    Current Phone Model:
    Note 10+
    Yes that is correct...they have exclusive wireless charging thus changed the design from other carriers...buttons are smaller as well.

9. ajarnfalang

ajarnfalang Member

Ratings:
    +6
    I also noticed they don't give you headsets in the US? That's ridiculous.

I'm glad I live in thailand now. All phones are unlocked. No carriers. No contracts. No bloat. Nothing. Just as it comes from LG. WITH headphones.

10. bkdodger

bkdodger Administrator
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +7,494
    Current Phone Model:
    Note 10+
    Oh yes...unlocked you have it good...I don't ever use/like the headphones they come with but it would be nice to get them packaged..

Search tags for this page

lg g2

lg g2 beats note 3 in benchmarks

nexus 5 lg2