Who's ready? (or not)

Discussion in 'LG G2' started by Hugh Jass, Sep 3, 2013.

1. Hugh Jass

Hugh Jass Senior Member

Ratings:
    +123
    I hope so.

2. jntdroid

jntdroid Super Moderator
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +315
    From Anandtech:

LG took a bold risk by putting the volume and power buttons on the back of the G2, something I initially suspected would be awkward and cumbersome. However it actually makes a lot of sense and allows the G2 to further decrease the edge bezel thickness and prevent the device from getting too wide, which is what I find affects in-hand fatigue quite a lot. After a day or so the back buttons are basically second nature, and I've been using the volume down to launch camera shortcut quite a bit. I'd take a back mounted power button over a top mounted power button anytime after using the G2.

3. LuvMusic

LuvMusic Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Was out running some errands and stopped by my local Verizon store. They had a demo LG2 on the charger and they pulled it off so I could check it out. The phone had kind of a gun metal back with a blueish hue to it when the light hit it just right. Looked good. Verizon branding was very low profile, if any at all. I don't remember seeing any big Verizon signage on the phone but I really wasn't looking for it.

The phone felt very comfortable in my hands with a slight curve on the back, sort of like the HTC One but with a flatter radius. The screen looked fantastic and the switching between screens and apps was very smooth. The Verizon add-on apps appeared fairly minimal. Settings told me that 24gb out of 32gb was available (IIRC) and there were a couple of hefty media demo files on the device.

The buttons on the back did not bother me. I have a feeling that if I used the phone regularly it would seem natural. The double-knock on the screen to wake the phone up and put it in standby worked great. Also, this is a global phone.

I really liked this phone and it seems like it could a a contender to replace my Galaxy Nexus. That said, I would be remiss to not wait to see what happens with Nexus 5, especially in light of the article I just read that indicated it is based on the G2 platform and that Google / LG MIGHT be adapting the phone for the Verizon network......the combination of Nexus and LG2 could be ideal!!

That is all!

#15 LuvMusic, Sep 12, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2013
  4. jntdroid

jntdroid Super Moderator
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +315
    I wonder about the bootloader and LG's history there? Could this be easily turned into a GE device?? ;)

5. tgyberg

tgyberg Silver Member

Ratings:
    +343
    Current Phone Model:
    Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
    Wow, some really nice features in the ui. I'm thinkin this phone is pretty sweet!

6. Hugh Jass

Hugh Jass Senior Member

Ratings:
    +123
    I've watched and read every review on this phone and I'm sold on it.

7. tgyberg

tgyberg Silver Member

Ratings:
    +343
    Current Phone Model:
    Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
    I can tell just in the vids that it is sooooo fast! I didn't really think I would be able to tell but yep, smokin!

8. ajarnfalang

ajarnfalang Member

Ratings:
    +6
    We just got word in thailand.

LG G2 available Sept 28 for $630. (There are no such things as contracts here so they pay everything cash).

So I'm just waiting.

As far as just a smartphone, the LG G2 is the best at the moment. It beats the Note 3 in benchmarks running the same Snapdragon 800 chipset. And I mean BEAT.

G2 was developed together with Qualcomm. The performance is the best right now. Camera has just the right amount of innovations to make it one of the best. bested by Nokia 41MP probably, but it's an awesome camera.

Also just the right amount of features without being cluttered with gimmicks like Samsung.

And the buttons on the back, OPPO N1 is now trying to copy it. It just makes sense.

9. ajarnfalang

ajarnfalang Member

Ratings:
    +6
    I thought about that but then all the G2 specific features would be gone.

I THINK that LG will update the G2 at least once in the next year or 2. That's good enough for me.

10. Hugh Jass

Hugh Jass Senior Member

Ratings:
    +123
    Everyone's at arms over the update schedule on previous LG phones. Before, I agree, that mattered because updates for android were big news, huge feature packs. But now it doesn't. We've been on the same major version of android since October 2011. We know the next update is quite minor, and the one after that might be just the same. So I don't really get the whole update argument anymore. The phone performance is flawless, battery life is great, who needs that next gimmicky feature that bad?

11. pc747

pc747 Regular Member
    Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +7,460
    Samsung had that rep about updates at first and they improved. I think lg will as well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

12. Hugh Jass

Hugh Jass Senior Member

Ratings:
    +123
    I think they might as well but even if they don't, what damage is really done? Android is smooth as whipped cream, not having the latest version is no longer the disadvantage it was. Being behind before meant a lagging device riddled with bugs and only love from the few developers that supported it.

I think the last three years of android likely saw more change than the next five years will in terms of important features and software enhancements that will really create any kind of obsolescence with this years tech. The mobile industry has finally caught up to their big brother, the PC. Very few people buy a new PC every two years for a reason. My 2007 laptop still runs everything I need except today's games.

Search tags for this page

lg g2

lg g2 beats note 3 in benchmarks

nexus 5 lg2