Who's ready? (or not)

Hugh Jass

Reaction score
I'm kind of shocked as to how little fanfare the G2 is receiving thus far, so I figured I'd try to get a ball rolling on this forum and see what people are thinking.

Who out there is considering this device? And if you're not, why?

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I will not be picking up this device for 2 reasons:
1. I already have an s4 and am completely happy with it
2. It's an LG device

Let me elaborate on #2 with my personal experience. Before my smartphone days I picked up an LG (forget the model) and that stupid thing died on me a month into ownership. Anyone that knows me know I take excellent care of my devices and almost baby them, but this thing just died on me out of the blue. So I got a replacement and that worked, for 2wks and it died on me again. So I moved on to another brand of phone which lived the rest of my ownership.

Fast forward to when the Droid was released and the rest of my family picked up enV2's. All 3 of them died within the year, again hardware failure. Both my parents take good care of their devices and my sister's was pretty beat up, but still alive. All 3 of them died around the same time after all 3 of the batteries were shot after 6mo. I forgot which phones they all moved onto after that but I think it might've been their iPhones. Either way, all 3 of them were off the LG bus and vow never to buy again.

Outside of their cell phone devices I have a few family members with LG appliances. One of them had a fridge, died just outside of a year and they went through a major headache just to get it fixed under warranty. Another relative had LG washer and dryer, the dryer suddenly stopped working and the washer stopped dispensing detergent about 1yr into ownership/use.

Too many bad experiences with the company for me to even consider another one of their products. The G2 could be rated the greatest Android device for all I care, I will not buy it. Heck, their company could be rated #1 in quality control and customer satisfaction and I still wouldn't consider any of their products. My family and I have been burned by LG too many times and for their products to last not even 2yrs is ridiculous. And no we don't use our devices in any unordinary way, they were used as they were expected to be used. Call it bad luck, but I've never had this problem with any of my other products made by different manufacturers. We avoid LG like the plague.

OP
Hugh Jass

Hugh Jass

Reaction score
Well, that's an awful experience right there.

ajarnfalang

Reaction score
I'm kind of shocked as to how little fanfare the G2 is receiving thus far, so I figured I'd try to get a ball rolling on this forum and see what people are thinking.

I'm all in with the LG G2. Unless something better comes out. If an international version of the Droid Maxx comes out then ill do that.

The Note 3 is coming out but the Note is just a big phone with a pile of stuff ill never use.

Last edited:

ajarnfalang

Reaction score
I will not be picking up this device for 2 reasons:
1. I already have an s4 and am completely happy with it
2. It's an LG device

Let me elaborate on #2 with my personal experience. Before my smartphone days I picked up an LG (forget the model) and that stupid thing died on me a month into ownership. Anyone that knows me know I take excellent care of my devices and almost baby them, but this thing just died on me out of the blue. So I got a replacement and that worked, for 2wks and it died on me again. So I moved on to another brand of phone which lived the rest of my ownership.

Fast forward to when the Droid was released and the rest of my family picked up enV2's. All 3 of them died within the year, again hardware failure. Both my parents take good care of their devices and my sister's was pretty beat up, but still alive. All 3 of them died around the same time after all 3 of the batteries were shot after 6mo. I forgot which phones they all moved onto after that but I think it might've been their iPhones. Either way, all 3 of them were off the LG bus and vow never to buy again.

Outside of their cell phone devices I have a few family members with LG appliances. One of them had a fridge, died just outside of a year and they went through a major headache just to get it fixed under warranty. Another relative had LG washer and dryer, the dryer suddenly stopped working and the washer stopped dispensing detergent about 1yr into ownership/use.

Too many bad experiences with the company for me to even consider another one of their products. The G2 could be rated the greatest Android device for all I care, I will not buy it. Heck, their company could be rated #1 in quality control and customer satisfaction and I still wouldn't consider any of their products. My family and I have been burned by LG too many times and for their products to last not even 2yrs is ridiculous. And no we don't use our devices in any unordinary way, they were used as they were expected to be used. Call it bad luck, but I've never had this problem with any of my other products made by different manufacturers. We avoid LG like the plague.

I get that but. An Env2? That's like the worst example ever. But OK. You hate them. Don't buy it. It's like me and Chevrolet.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I get that but. An Env2? That's like the worst example ever. But OK. You hate them. Don't buy it. It's like me and Chevrolet.

Yeah but I can't provide another example since at the time that was what they went with. All I can tell you is that an LG device is never going to purchased by my family or me again

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

ajarnfalang

Reaction score
Yeah but I can't provide another example since at the time that was what they went with. All I can tell you is that an LG device is never going to purchased by my family or me again

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Sounds like me and Chevy.

I don't trust any manufacturer. Except Apple, Nokia and Motorola. Those are the phones I've had that were good. Nokia is Windows so that's a NO.

Motorola, who knows. I'm waiting for them to say what's coming internationally.

Apple. Screen is too small.

So it seems like I have to take a risk. I haven't had luck with Samsung devices except my old Samsung TV.

I'm willing to give G2 a try if Motorola doesn't announce anything this year. Moto X may come here but it's too small. I want at least 5".

Bxrider117

Reaction score
There was a similar knock on Samsung phones before they got it right with the Galaxy line of phones. I'm going to give this phone a shot. I have A Note 2 right now.

ajarnfalang

Reaction score
There was a similar knock on Samsung phones before they got it right with the Galaxy line of phones. I'm going to give this phone a shot. I have A Note 2 right now.

Can't beat the battery life. Gram does wonders on Internet browsing

y7uma3yp.jpg

jkaod

Gold Member
Reaction score
The poor quality of LG devices is interesting as I have had the opposite experience. I had a nice LG flip phone right before I got the first Droid and it was great. I even gave it to my son when his phone died and he used it for almost another year. My wife has had a couple of LGs with great success. My daughters have LGs with good success too. I've never tried an LG smartphone and I haven't followed the success of their current phones, but I think they make good stuff in general. I have an LG TV and blue ray player that are great. I personally wouldn't pick one up until some other folks use one for a while and are happy with them. Has LG been slow with updates in the past?

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score

Are you going to get this device?

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
I've had good experiences with LG historically as well, and this phone interested me, but those backside buttons are killer. I picked up my current phone and tried to mimic what that would be like after years of being used to volume buttons on both sides... not only do I think I'd drop it all the time, but I just can't fathom getting used to that. Having to touch the screen with one finger to basically squeeze it enough to increase or decrease the volume on the backside seems incredibly unintuitive... basically don't use the volume rocker if the screen is on or you'll likely touch something that will open an app or long-press something by mistake, or whatever.

Or am I missing something and about to have a facepalm moment?

Edit: I just discovered the power button is also on the back. But fortunately they added the option to double-tap the screen to lock and unlock. That would be pretty handy on just about any phone honestly.

Last edited:

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
From Anandtech:

LG took a bold risk by putting the volume and power buttons on the back of the G2, something I initially suspected would be awkward and cumbersome. However it actually makes a lot of sense and allows the G2 to further decrease the edge bezel thickness and prevent the device from getting too wide, which is what I find affects in-hand fatigue quite a lot. After a day or so the back buttons are basically second nature, and I've been using the volume down to launch camera shortcut quite a bit. I'd take a back mounted power button over a top mounted power button anytime after using the G2.

LuvMusic

Reaction score
Was out running some errands and stopped by my local Verizon store. They had a demo LG2 on the charger and they pulled it off so I could check it out. The phone had kind of a gun metal back with a blueish hue to it when the light hit it just right. Looked good. Verizon branding was very low profile, if any at all. I don't remember seeing any big Verizon signage on the phone but I really wasn't looking for it.

The phone felt very comfortable in my hands with a slight curve on the back, sort of like the HTC One but with a flatter radius. The screen looked fantastic and the switching between screens and apps was very smooth. The Verizon add-on apps appeared fairly minimal. Settings told me that 24gb out of 32gb was available (IIRC) and there were a couple of hefty media demo files on the device.

The buttons on the back did not bother me. I have a feeling that if I used the phone regularly it would seem natural. The double-knock on the screen to wake the phone up and put it in standby worked great. Also, this is a global phone.

I really liked this phone and it seems like it could a a contender to replace my Galaxy Nexus. That said, I would be remiss to not wait to see what happens with Nexus 5, especially in light of the article I just read that indicated it is based on the G2 platform and that Google / LG MIGHT be adapting the phone for the Verizon network......the combination of Nexus and LG2 could be ideal!!

That is all!

Last edited: