Who's on the ledge?

Allen K

Reaction score
I originally voted for wait and see, but my phone died and I grabbed a Droid X off of ebay. Guess I'll wait until later this year to see what comes out. Hearing about all the LTE trouble helped me with my decision as well. I'll let them sort out their issues before hopping into the 4G game.

okiepat2000

Reaction score
I'm waiting. That's really no big deal since I currently have the X.

Maybe I'm being naive but the "delays" and "technical issues" actually make me feel a little better about the TB. I'm figuring that VZW is willing to take all of the punches right now to make sure their first LTE phone doesn't launch with a thud. I guess I'm a glass half full kinda guy.

Reaction score
Bought the Incredible when the TB didn't release on the 24th. I don't have a lot of patience. I will tell you one thing, I am VERY happy with my Dinc!

Thunderbolt FTL

lsp0423

Reaction score
I broke down waiting for the bolt.....went and bought the xoom and must say am very happy:) guess my incredible and xoom will have to do.....good luck to all still waiting.

Sent from my Xoom using DroidForums App

BigMace23

Reaction score
A lot of logical and practical thinking folks in this thread :)

I will hold of making a decision until we know about the 4G. If 4G tiered is forced- forget it. If 3G unlimited is at least grandfathered, I will test the TB out. If it handles Flash and the N64 app as good as my Tegra 2 device, I will keep it. If not, I will wait for the Stealth or Bionic (Tegra 2).

Same here... I dont think the stealth is dual core though

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score
Gonna get a Sammy on ebay and save my upgrade till late summer or fall when something better comes out.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

mrmccain

Reaction score
I probably wouldn't even be paying much attention to these 4G phones yet except that I broke my D1 the first week of Feb. and I was glad to "know" that the Tbolt was only a week away. Now I've had this 2nd Gen. Chocolate for a month now and it randomly shuts off about 10-15 times a day.

I've been waiting patiently for the Bolt but not having an Android is killing me since I no longer have a GPS, portable music player, full keyboard, or wifi tethering to play Xbox live. With the recent talks about the Tbolt coming by mid-year, I'm thinking it's time to buy a used X on ebay.

I've waited this long...any thoughts?

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score
I just bought a sammy fasc on ebay. While it isn't exactly cheap, my upgrade is safe and i can use it in say 5 months from now or so. Then I can resell the sammy on ebay if I want if it still holds its value.

sent from my rooted nook color

Sleeve

Reaction score
I don't think anybody, even the Verizon executive, specifically said that the Thunderbolt is coming out mid-year. Like the Xoom, they can release with 4g shut off. Unlike the Xoom, they can ship with the ability in place but the PRLs programmed so that they block the phones from making 4g handshakes to the towers.

The comments from Verizon are that the 4g network needs work until late Q2. I think I can reasonably conclude that HTC has already done the launch production run and shipped. So now HTC has cash trapped in warehouses and possibly retail store back rooms. HTC is obviously going to press VzW to solve that problem even if the network isn't ready. VzW will push back over the rumored firmware update for the battery and the testing time required. We all have seen past Verizon launches that show they like to test, test, test, and re-test.

Since I'm not aware of any VzW launch date communicated, and maybe I missed something in all the flurry going on around here, the only people to blame for past predictions failing to occur are Best Buy and the media we reference for rumor on release.

metzor

Reaction score
I don't think anybody, even the Verizon executive, specifically said that the Thunderbolt is coming out mid-year. Like the Xoom, they can release with 4g shut off. Unlike the Xoom, they can ship with the ability in place but the PRLs programmed so that they block the phones from making 4g handshakes to the towers.

The comments from Verizon are that the 4g network needs work until late Q2. I think I can reasonably conclude that HTC has already done the launch production run and shipped. So now HTC has cash trapped in warehouses and possibly retail store back rooms. HTC is obviously going to press VzW to solve that problem even if the network isn't ready. VzW will push back over the rumored firmware update for the battery and the testing time required. We all have seen past Verizon launches that show they like to test, test, test, and re-test.

Since I'm not aware of any VzW launch date communicated, and maybe I missed something in all the flurry going on around here, the only people to blame for past predictions failing to occur are Best Buy and the media we reference for rumor on release.

Your post makes a lot of sense, but again the counter argument is that just because VZW never officially announced it, doesn't mean there weren't unexpected internal delays with this phone. I am 99.9% sure that Best Buy didn't pull 2/14 out of thin air, or that HTC wouldn't start running ads for a phone they new wouldn't be out for another month.

I agree with your other comments though, that what the CTO said about end of Q2 wasn't proving that the TB won't be out until then. While it's not safe to say anything with this phone, and no vzw won't release it to a broken network, but there's no way it's another 3 months for this thing.

electric6

Reaction score

Your post makes a lot of sense, but again the counter argument is that just because VZW never officially announced it, doesn't mean there weren't unexpected internal delays with this phone. I am 99.9% sure that Best Buy didn't pull 2/14 out of thin air, or that HTC wouldn't start running ads for a phone they new wouldn't be out for another month.

I agree with your other comments though, that what the CTO said about end of Q2 wasn't proving that the TB won't be out until then. While it's not safe to say anything with this phone, and no vzw won't release it to a broken network, but there's no way it's another 3 months for this thing.

ditto metzor. Since I wont try to get off topic, Ill just post this link:

[PRE-RELEASE] The 4.3 inch "Thunderbolt" aka "Mecha" aka "Incredible HD" from HTC...coming soon! - Page 61 - Android Forums

That being said, there is plenty of evidence to support what you just said. So no real reason to stay on the ledge any longer. Besides this iphone 2g is pretty cool, I can wait as long as neccassary!!:icon_ banana::iphone::icon_ banana:

Sleeve

Reaction score
Oh, yea, I don't blame people for jumping.

My son's nearly broken LG Dare and his birthday are motivators for a purchase, but I can slug along on my D1 until my NE2 is about to expire. I've lost interest, and I don't see anything coming that's interesting either. Maybe a combination of the Thunderbolt and the Bionic, but no such thing is on the radar for the Verizon loyal.

OP
S

sidsixseven

Reaction score

Exactly. I feel I can absolutely hold VZW accountable for the delay, real or perceived because they absolutely had it well within their control to properly set expectations about LTE and Thunderbolt.

They have let the hype run rampant while saying nothing more than "Coming Soon!". Even what we have heard from the executives hasn't been an official press release -- just inferences from what they said at some random conference.

And it's not like they haven't been complicit in generating the hype. Even if you ignore the BB screw-ups (which had to have come from somewhere), you can easily hold VZW accountable for premature advertisements.

You just don't end up with this much hype and missed expectations unless there were delays that VZW didn't anticipate. Things happen and I'm OK with delays provided they communicate them.

If I'm thinking conspiracy, I don't think it's related to Apple. I think the reason they are so tight-lipped is because they want to avoid press that draws attention to the fact that AT&T, Sprint, T-Mobile all have 4G and they don't. They want YOU thinking it's right around the corner to pin you down with inaction so that you don't switch carriers to a network that DOES have 4g.