Who's on the ledge?

motty69

Reaction score
I'm getting impatient too, and I've thought about it, but there really is nothing that compares, not right now and probably not for a few months. Think about this, people are still considering getting Incredibles and that phone is basically EOL. The TB is a much improved, bigger and better version of the Inc from the same manufacturer and it'll have 4G. There are constantly people saying just to wait for better phones, but if the TB has the life the Incredible has (people still buying the Inc as an upgrade from other droids), I'll say it's worth the wait.

Also, the phones on the horizon that will be comparable or better than the TB, are not from manufacturers I'd choose over HTC. Samsung I've heard nothing but problems regarding the UI/updating, I've dealt with LG droids, no thanks; and Moto is ok but I'll take HTC over it any day.

Maybe I'm burying my head in the sand a little, but at least for me these statements are true.

+1

I refuse to type "10 char" I think it's kinda... ...

doh

motty69

Reaction score
I'm waiting but may wait til price drops and if its delayed much longer I may just wait for Bionic.
Speaking of price drop what is the NE2 discount , 100.00 off ?I haven't used mine yet, I was eligible a couple months ago

I think if your last upgrade was a smartphone it's $100 off. Upgrades from feature phones and below get $30-50 off if I remember correctly.

Env Touch so I get a crappy discount,, I guess I'm better off per ordering from Best Buy? Isn't that 50.00 rebate or gift card ?

I don't know for sure, but BB keeps advertising the TBolt at $300. I'm not 100% convinced that VZW will do the same. I think they will at least offer a $50 or so rebate it they charge $300 on a 2-year contract. Maybe that's just wishful thinking, but I don't see how this phone can sell that great at $300. If it is $300 at VZW I may just have to see if I can make myself wait for my NE2 in May (it should be $100). I really want the TBolt, but $300 just seems excessive.

Of course when everyone's on here raving about how great it is I'll have a VERY hard time waiting. :icon_eek:

Last edited:

Sleeve

Reaction score
Other than dual core, what would be good reasons to wait for a Bionic? Keep in mind I dismiss dual core as important until there is a market of apps coded to use the second core. Ignore price, too.

For the Verizon and Android loyal, buying Thunderbolt seems to require little thought.

woodsie

Reaction score
I decided I wanted an Android phone last month. I've been lurking on this forum for the past few weeks trying to sort out exactly what I wanted to get based on the features available.

I was originally going to get the Thunderbolt based on the fact that it was going to be released shortly and the next competitor, the Bionic, was potentially three months out.

I'm not screwing around any more waiting for a release date. I bought a used like new Droid X last night and will use that until this summer when I have my pick of 3 or more Verizon 4G phones to spend the upgrade on.

If I had a REAL release date in hand be it next week or next month, I might have held out. Chasing a moving target is a game I'm not willing to play.

metzor

Reaction score
I think if your last upgrade was a smartphone it's $100 off. Upgrades from feature phones and below get $30-50 off if I remember correctly.

Env Touch so I get a crappy discount,, I guess I'm better off per ordering from Best Buy? Isn't that 50.00 rebate or gift card ?

I don't know for sure, but BB keeps advertising the TBolt at $300. I'm not 100% convinced that VZW will do the same. I think they will at least offer a $50 or so rebate it they charge $300 on a 2-year contract. Maybe that's just wishful thinking, but I don't see how this phone can sell that great at $300. If it is $300 at VZW I may just have to see if I can make myself wait for my NE2 in May (it should be $100). I really want the TBolt, but $300 just seems excessive.

Of course when everyone's on here raving about how great it is I'll have a VERY hard time waiting. :icon_eek:

As much as I want it to be $250 (give me that extra $50 for accessories, please), all the evidence we need is seeing the iphone 32gb selling for $299. I know those may be Apple mandated prices, but I don't see how they would sell a phone with vastly superior hardware at a much lower cost, rebate or no. I mean the DX was selling for $200 just a week or two ago. Only $50 more for a flagship/premiere 4g device? But I very much hope you are right :)

motty69

Reaction score
As much as I want it to be $250 (give me that extra $50 for accessories, please), all the evidence we need is seeing the iphone 32gb selling for $299. I know those may be Apple mandated prices, but I don't see how they would sell a phone with vastly superior hardware at a much lower cost, rebate or no. I mean the DX was selling for $200 just a week or two ago. Only $50 more for a flagship/premiere 4g device? But I very much hope you are right :)

I agree that the 32GB iPhone is probably a big part of the price bump. Stupid iPhone, wish Verizon had never gotten it. :icon_evil:

CrappyPhone

Reaction score
I decided I wanted an Android phone last month. I've been lurking on this forum for the past few weeks trying to sort out exactly what I wanted to get based on the features available.

I was originally going to get the Thunderbolt based on the fact that it was going to be released shortly and the next competitor, the Bionic, was potentially three months out.

I'm not screwing around any more waiting for a release date. I bought a used like new Droid X last night and will use that until this summer when I have my pick of 3 or more Verizon 4G phones to spend the upgrade on.

If I had a REAL release date in hand be it next week or next month, I might have held out. Chasing a moving target is a game I'm not willing to play.

Im leaning towards gettnig a Droid X... how much did the droid X cost you used?

gymangel812

Reaction score
If it doesn't come out by the last week of March, I will be buying a used X or dinc (so I don't kill my upgrade). If I do that then I don't even know if I will be getting the TB when it comes out, at that point I would be able to wait a few months when there is more than one 4g phone out. I would want to lock in pricing if possible though.

craigboy

Reaction score
I think I am leaning towards the Samsung since it looks like it will be duel core with 1GB of RAM.

Otherwise I will wait for the TB.

Those of you thinking about jumping to the DX, I would say wait until the DX2 which should be just a month or two away and since it's not on LTE there shouldn't be any problems with launch.

rushmore

Reaction score
A lot of logical and practical thinking folks in this thread :)

I will hold of making a decision until we know about the 4G. If 4G tiered is forced- forget it. If 3G unlimited is at least grandfathered, I will test the TB out. If it handles Flash and the N64 app as good as my Tegra 2 device, I will keep it. If not, I will wait for the Stealth or Bionic (Tegra 2).

atpjoe

Reaction score
I've been over the ledge. My Eris is on 2.3.2 so its not like its toast yet. I may buy the bolt then sell it right away since I have a extra line with an upgrade in November. Kinda want a Xoom or iPad.2

Sent from my GSBv1.7-ERIS using DroidForums App

CrappyPhone

Reaction score
If my current phone wasn't such a peice of poopie i wouldn't be in such a rush to get a phone, but this phone is honestly driving me crazy with restarting, broken touch screen, random calls, etc...im thinking im going to crack and get the droid X ... Im the most impatiant person in the world ... It also doesn't help that i dont have a smart phone currently and went to verizon and got to play with them.