Whoa! *22899

Nealius

Reaction score
I just took my phone out of airplane mode while at work. I heard some music or something and looked at my phone. the dialer was opened and it dialed *22899 on it own.

I have never dialed this before so it couldnt have been me. And I know not to use *228 since its a sim phone!

Anyone else ever see this?

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
There was another person who experienced this recently. It's somewhere on here in another thread

OP
N

Nealius

Reaction score
now that you mention it. I sorta remember seeing a thread on it. off to try the search function.

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
If you are to close to another companys tower that is powerful enough your phone will try to activate to it. It sounds crazy but in rural wisconsin US cellular is dominate and my verizon store can't even activate phones on one side of their building because the UScellular tower will make the phones activate with *22899 and it is a huge problem.

It took over 3 hours to get my Rezound running on the right system after they made the mistake of activating it in the wrong spot.

OP
N

Nealius

Reaction score
Yep found it. read the xda post that is linked in there.
I recalled it after setting it up as a contact and it Updated my PRL. whatever that is.

OP
N

Nealius

Reaction score
If you are to close to another companys tower that is powerful enough your phone will try to activate to it. It sounds crazy but in rural wisconsin US cellular is dominate and my verizon store can't even activate phones on one side of their building because the UScellular tower will make the phones activate with *22899 and it is a huge problem.

It took over 3 hours to get my Rezound running on the right system after they made the mistake of activating it in the wrong spot.

Clearly you made my phone do it!! :mad::p

I barely get any signal at my workplace. I found that it updated my PRL. I called Verizon complaining about phone signal stregth. I got a feeling that call caused my phone to call home.

captdroid

Reaction score
HA I dialed the *22899 and it update to a new PRL. Figured I would do it before it did :icon_ devil: :D