Who Wins The Final Battle of the 2011 SUPERPHONES!

ThisGuy

Reaction score
To be honest, that 30 mah wont make that much of a difference. Especially with ICS power and app management features I'm willing to bet it'll still outlive the razr on a day to day basis.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

prime

Kernel Developer
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
Personally I think the GNex is already outdated particularly with the antiquated PowerVR SGX540 which is 4 years old. Once the Razr gets ICS which should be first quarter of 2012, the Razr will be the superior phone but that's just my opinion.

Superior to those who are ok/accustomed to having a device with locked bootloaders. If gaming is of high importance pick the device with superior GPU .

gtofan350

Reaction score
My bad, I read somewhere that the Razr has a more up to date gpu. This brings up another question; why are manufactures using old tech in their flagship phones??

BL4Z3D247

Reaction score
My bad, I read somewhere that the Razr has a more up to date gpu. This brings up another question; why are manufactures using old tech in their flagship phones??

My guess would be compatibility and performance from that compatibility. Google/Samsung gave a reason for using the OMAP4 in the G-Nex rather than the Exynos because the OMAP4 uses an additional hardware accelerator called IVA 3 that makes encoding and decoding HD videos "a snap".

OriginalDroid

Reaction score

Possibly the same reason your a fan of a car not made any more (no offense). Someone built a good gpu that manufacturers liked the first time maybe?

Sent from my Bugless Droid using DroidForums

prime

Kernel Developer
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
So their intention for the Razr and Gnex is for media and not gaming.

The CPU in these devices is a beast, 1.5 ghz (they will be able to do this as 1.5 ghz is a 'hidden' CPU slot unlocked with the likes of SetCPU among others). Having such a powerful CPU should make up for the last gen GPU...for the most part.

BL4Z3D247

Reaction score
So their intention for the Razr and Gnex is for media and not gaming.

No, I'm just saying there is definitely a reason they used the components they used. They didn't just throw it together and slap the Nexus brand on it. You got to think that Google and Samsung did their homework on how all these parts coincide with each other. Like prime said the CPU should make up for the last gen GPU.

kptphalkon

Reaction score
The CPU in these devices is a beast, 1.5 ghz (they will be able to do this as 1.5 ghz is a 'hidden' CPU slot unlocked with the likes of SetCPU among others). Having such a powerful CPU should make up for the last gen GPU...for the most part.

If we're talking about pure graphics performance, computing does not work that way. a dedicated graphics unit doesnt and cannot offload work to unused cycles of the cpu. therefore an outdated gpu WILL limit pixel performance overall. Memory bandwidth is a finicky thing. If the processor can push x amount of data (in the case of OMAP4, they use dual memory controllers vs most phones only having a single 'pipe' to the RAM) along the pathway, but the gpu can only handle y amount of data, it creates a bottleneck.

summary; In this scenario, of the Gnex and Razr, the cpu being so much faster does not mean the device can handle intensely detailed renders any better. the graphics unit has to play catch-up in this scenario, causing the cpu to wait aggravatingly long before it can push the next set of commands.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums

prime

Kernel Developer
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
If we're talking about pure graphics performance, computing does not work that way. a dedicated graphics unit doesnt and cannot offload work to unused cycles of the cpu. therefore an outdated gpu WILL limit pixel performance overall. Memory bandwidth is a finicky thing. If the processor can push x amount of data (in the case of OMAP4, they use dual memory controllers vs most phones only having a single 'pipe' to the RAM) along the pathway, but the gpu can only handle y amount of data, it creates a bottleneck.

summary; In this scenario, of the Gnex and Razr, the cpu being so much faster does not mean the device can handle intensely detailed renders any better. the graphics unit has to play catch-up in this scenario, causing the cpu to wait aggravatingly long before it can push the next set of commands.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums

I was speaking gaming performance but your explaination is very informative and accurate, note I said for the most part (the Nexus GPU will not be an issue for this generation of android games).

combatmedic870

Reaction score
I was speaking gaming performance but your explaination is very informative and accurate, note I said for the most part (the Nexus GPU will not be an issue for this generation of android games).

I agree, my Dinc2 will play any game out just fine(without any lag) running the adreno 205(IE: Modern combat 2, splinter cell, hawks, sims 3....any gameloft game out). The 220 will be fine to play anything. Especially since its optimized for the phone and not just thrown in there.

The GPU supports 1080p so i dont think the 720p screen is going to slow it down much,considering people do hook their phones up to a 40-55inch tvs and play. People stop worrying so much!!

combatmedic870

Reaction score
I don't see the technology advancing within the next 2 months enough to make any of the next 3 devices, or the 4s out dated.

Quad cores are useless, as we're still barely using software that's optimized for dual cores and manufacturers know this.

We're at a tipping point for increasing screen size, I think everyone would agree there.

At what point can a camera take that much better of a picture?

There's a tech-ceiling here and we're close to it.

One of the biggest issues is the lack of advancement in battery technology. There has been zero news about an increase in battery life from lithium battery tech, it's a dinosaur and until we've found a new power source, we're looking at very small jumps in hardware technology in hand held devices for the next year at least.

To soon to tell, But since the Rezound went through the FCC again they could have changed the processor/gpu on it. It could have the S4 8960(which can be clocked to 2.3ghz no problem) with an adreno 225 in it . Which would destroy anything out on the market right now and improve battery life(including the iphone 4s....just just barely gpu wise though).
Qualcomm did say they expect to have a phone out with this processor 4Q 2011(and they are partners with HTC).
If not the rezound, expect a beast of a sensation coming out!!!

Camera wise....putting in the BSI sensors are a good start, but getting a faster lens and better high ISO would be great(for low light). Increasing the dynamic range would be nice as well. Also note all of these cameras have fixed lenses(mostly 28mm equiv.). So a short zoom lens will be coming soon enough.
Take a look at some of the phones they have in japan. TONS of waterproof phones with zoom lens cameras and ...yea...nice phones!

Last edited: