Who will Be CyanogenMod Inc.'s Official Hardware Partner?

Who will be CyanogenMod Inc.'s Official Hardware Partner

• Blu

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Oppo

• Newkia

• HTC

• Sony

• LG

• Other

• Total voters

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
cyanogenmod.png

With all the news about the newly formed CyanogenMod Inc. behind us, and rumors of their hardware partners popping up everywhere, we have decided to post a poll and ask you who you think will be CyanogenMods Official hardware partner.. The latest rumor has HTC on the short list, and while that seems like a long shot -- ok real long shot -- it's not completely nutty. With shrinking margins and dwindling market share, this wouldn't be something we would put past CEO Peter Chou. He is known for his bold and impulsive decisions, but again, we are calling it a long shot (sorry, real long shot).

The poll features six (6) OEMS who we believe are possible candidates. Some more likely than others, but possibilities nonetheless. Please take the time to vote, and let us know who you voted for and why. We look forward to the results and accompanying comments/opinions.

If you are torn between two (2) of the OEM's, the option to vote for your top 2 is available.

UPDATE: It's looking like Oppo just may be the OEM. Stay Tuned!

squeak

Reaction score
I love sony's minimalist design and waterproofing. CM could make it that much better..

OP
cereal killer

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
I love sony's minimalist design and waterproofing. CM could make it that much better..
I love Sony's hardware as well. Next to Nokia they make a beautiful handset. It's looking like Oppo is going to be their partner though

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Never heard of Oppo.

Getting only $7M in funding, we can probably rule out any major OEM's. (consider, for example, that HTC just forked over $10M to Robert Downey Jr, and much more in a partnership with Beats).

It would make a lot of sense with Sony or LG. Although I wouldn't rule out that the partnership might not be exclusive. They could deliver value to multiple partners because of scale, as they probably know the base code as well (likely better) than any in-house team, which is a strong foundation to create/maintain custom UI's for different OEM's.

And the other interesting aspect is support. Perhaps their overall quality isn't quite up to retail standards (but the capital to add developers will certainly help), but the vast majority have no issue and they crank out updates light years ahead of the OEM's (without even considering the carrier wait on top of that).

I've been saying for years that I don't understand why the OEM's don't outsource updates/software to the many capable developers out there. Well I sort of understand, but this is a case where the cost/technical hurdles outweigh the benefit of keeping it in-house.

squeak

Reaction score
[video=youtube;lV1c8nzDp5s]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lV1c8nzDp5s&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/video]
I've heard of oppo but never paid them much attention, because I know the likely hood of one of their products ending up on Verizon's network is quite slim. But I'll be reading up on the N1 just because of their connection with CM

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
Oddly enough I'm less concerned about who the manufacture is as I am to what tech/radios they use. I'm on VZW (and have no intentions of going elsewhere given the networks in my area) so that will be the deciding factor for me to whether I buy it or not, but I'm sure it's going to be a great handset no matter who makes it!!

MissionImprobable

Silver Member
Reaction score
Oddly enough I'm less concerned about who the manufacture is as I am to what tech/radios they use. I'm on VZW (and have no intentions of going elsewhere given the networks in my area) so that will be the deciding factor for me to whether I buy it or not, but I'm sure it's going to be a great handset no matter who makes it!!

I think we can pretty much guarantee that CM will not be willing to kowtow to VZ's demands for what would need to be done to get their phones on Big Red. There is a point to CM, and it's not to increase user bloat. Does anyone really think there's a chance of CM shipping devices with NFL Mobile onboard? If so, what's the point of going with them?

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
oppo is the cadillac of chinese electronics equipment. they made dvd players back in the days that would cost 1/2 of brand names and would perform 20x better then those same brand names and would hold value better then sony/apple products if you were an audio/videophile.

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
I think we can pretty much guarantee that CM will not be willing to kowtow to VZ's demands for what would need to be done to get their phones on Big Red. There is a point to CM, and it's not to increase user bloat. Does anyone really think there's a chance of CM shipping devices with NFL Mobile onboard? If so, what's the point of going with them?

CM does not need to be sold at/by VZW (or AT$T) just have a compatible radio/phone. I generally buy unlocked phones so I'm not looking to buy from VZW but they have the only decent coverage in my area (for my needs) so any phone I get would have to be compatible with their network. I don't think CM will be 'on' any carrier/network but serve as an unlocked alternative like the Nexus devices so it's not a matter of satisfying the main networks but choosing the hardware they want to run.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I saw the oppo N1 and looks nice but ill pass.

MissionImprobable

Silver Member
Reaction score
CM does not need to be sold at/by VZW (or AT$T) just have a compatible radio/phone. I generally buy unlocked phones so I'm not looking to buy from VZW but they have the only decent coverage in my area (for my needs) so any phone I get would have to be compatible with their network. I don't think CM will be 'on' any carrier/network but serve as an unlocked alternative like the Nexus devices so it's not a matter of satisfying the main networks but choosing the hardware they want to run.

Even if it works on their network they do not have to allow you to use it. You've seen the current issues with new Nexus devices not being supported yet even though they're compatible right? VZ does not cooperate well with those who don't want any part of their bloat and foolishness in terms of updates. You could not get updates for the original Nexus on VZ in the same way that you could for the direct purchase units and that's not something I see VZ changing anytime soon.

Who knows, maybe they'll decide to allow the CM devices in the same way they do unlocked dev editions of Samsung and Moto phones as they do now, but it's not something I'm in any way expecting. There will have to be some major changes at VZ before I get my hopes up for using devices of that type from an outside source in their network.