who wants apps to sd the froyo way ;)

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by rican408, Jun 10, 2010.

1. gszeman

gszeman New Member

Hmm...directory is empty? I went back under Manage applications and looked at the apps I moved, and they now say Move to Phone...so that leads me to believe they are moved to the sdcard...just not where I can see. :huh:
  2. hymetime

hymetime New Member

my bad they are there but you can only see them from the computer with your phone USB connected and mounted
  3. validoption

validoption New Member

So, it's been mentioned how setting the InstallLocation to 2 will make every app installed thereafter go to the SD card. It was also mentioned that to go back to the way it was would be to set the InstallLocation to 0. But I was looking back at the screenshot in post #14, and it shows that 0 = Auto, device decides best location; 1 = internal storage to device; 2 = external storage to media.

My question is, which is currently (as in, pre-hack) the default: 0 or 1? Because if the default is to install apps only to the internal storage (1), what would happen if we let it decide (0)? Or, is 0 the default froyo setting whereby it doesn't really "decide" by itself, but its "decision" is based on user input (like an option button) on where to install it?
  4. gszeman

gszeman New Member

Cool, thanks for the info hyme :)
  5. DroidFan88

DroidFan88 New Member

that's all I had been using until I saw the later posts. It works fine but takes a while to do and you don't know which apps are on the SD card unless you hard press on it. I'm going to e-mail developer to see if he can put a different icon or change the color of the app once placed on the SD card to make it noticeable. Other than that, it works well.
  6. wuyanks

wuyanks DF News Team Premium Member

OP: how did you figure this out? amazing job buddy!
  7. rcfx

rcfx New Member

Yes! This was a great find! This is the wonderful topping on Froyo! My icons look like crap but in a few days someone will have that figured out! Great Job rican408!!

Figured out the icon thing, force close launcher, when it re-starts all icons are there. I'm using DxTop.
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2010
  8. budmonster

budmonster Guest

is this the only way to get a2sd? i forget how to do this. dont i have to partition or something to get this working on froyo? i been away for awhile so i apologize for the noob questions. im currently on petes froyo rom, if someone could give me a quick tutorial on how to get a2sd up and running properly id greatly appreciate it.

thx- BUD
  9. Tallica

Tallica Premium Member Rescue Squad Premium Member

Read the OP!

Geesh

don't need to be partitioned
  10. MAD450r

MAD450r Theme Developer Theme Developer

Thanks to the original poster

This worked great for me. And for those having icon troubles. After you move the app go to your desktop and the icons that have generic pic's on them right now drop them into the appdrawer again then put them back should be all set then.
  11. rcfx

rcfx New Member

Well I don't know if it's just me and my phone or if it's happening to others, Every time I re-boot google maps would be gone, nada, gone. So after 2 or 3 times of re-downloading it I moved it to the phone. And that fixed it. Anyone else have this happen? Maybe it hates the pictures on my sd card. :p
  12. rockrdr

rockrdr New Member

That worked for me!! Thanx Alll
  13. budmonster

budmonster Guest

heres the orignal topic:

go to terminal emulator and enter
    su (enter)
    pm setInstallLocation 2 (enter)
    It will do nothing just exit.
    U can now move most apps to sd card under settings.manage apps. Move to sd card!
    May be issues like widget doesn't load. So try it and discuss!
    Must be running froyo, must be rooted, follow command exactly.
    Update*
    After playing with it for a few hours I suggest only changing apps that are standalone such as games.
    Leave the home replacements, active task killers, widgets or anything running in the backround.
    After a reboot it may look like ur apps are gone. Just give them time to load from the sd card.

I wanted to know if this was the only way to get a2sd. I don't see him saying "this is the only method to get a2sd" anywhere in his post. GEEESH!
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 15, 2010
  14. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member Premium Member

It worked on most applications. Unfortunately on some of my big ones like Home Run Derby 3D it didn't. Oh well, at least I can move some other applications around. Thanks!

And one word before I leave. Be nice to each other. Respect is number 1 in the Droid Forums. Thank you.
  15. jcaf77

jcaf77 New Member

Thanks! This worked for me!:icon_ banana:
  16. budmonster

budmonster Guest

is anyone having problems with ADB in 2.2? I can't get ADB REMOUNT to work in CMD. The only way I can get ADB REMOUNT to work (for pulling/pushing apk) is to boot into recovery and turn on "mount /system". Any help?
  17. DroidFan88

DroidFan88 New Member

Is there a way to increase the size of the partition on my SD card without having to re-format it? Now that I've been using app2sd, I've moved so much that my partition is almost full. I thought I had set it up for 512 MB but I only had it at 256 so I would like to increase it. I am hoping there is an easier way but I'm thinking I'm SOL.
  18. DroidFan88

DroidFan88 New Member

This is just what I needed! I kept getting the "sh: cannot open pm" also and was wondering what I was doing wrong.

Thanks!
  19. Se7enLC

Se7enLC New Member

So you are running a non-stock /system/bin/sh, then? Maybe it's included in your rom?

I use busybox ash as my shell and have the same problem. I edited the /system/bin/pm file to include "#!/system/bin/sh" and now I can run it by just typing pm. Same with /system/bin/am.
  20. rcfx

rcfx New Member

I re-installed Home Run Battle 3d and it went on the sdcard! I know, you lose your scores, but it's such a big app!
Search tags for this page

adb setinstalllocation permission denied

adb shell pm setinstalllocation 2 application move to sd car
adb shell pm setinstalllocation 2 permissao negada
in terminal when chaning to sd card permission denied killed
move app to sd root lg 8.3 pad box