Who should regulate the Drone rules

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
%235%20Drones%20C.jpg

Last night we had a long debate on who should decide the regulations for the Drone industry and which way would better promote drone shipments and furthering the industry.

We would like to hear where you guys stand on the issue and you can hear our opinions on it as well.

leonard daniels on Twitter

Reactions: cr6

me just sayin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
unfortunately there is absolutely no way to regulate drones unless it crashes into something or filmed. IMO, all regulations still needs to be through the FAA since they have access to the equipment that can track them. Right now it is just a regulated mess with no real enforcement.

Reactions: cr6

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
unfortunately there is absolutely no way to regulate drones unless it crashes into something or filmed. IMO, all regulations still needs to be through the FAA since they have access to the equipment that can track them. Right now it is just a regulated mess with no real enforcement.
This is true unfortunately, BUT I believe the FAA has provided us with a great baseline of rules, which in my opinion is a good start. The FAA has mentioned on numerous occasions that they would like drone operators to self regulate themselves and I think that as long as we can continue to fly responsibly, there's no reason for further regulation. (e.g. as in new individual state/city laws & regulations that are currently being discussed in Congress)
There will ALWAYS be those who think the rules don't apply to them no matter the topic of concern. Just as there will ALWAYS be hunters who hunt illegally, drivers who race their vehicles on public streets, people who sneak in the back door to keep from paying to attend a concert, and the list goes on and on.
My point is that only through education & awareness will drone operators like myself & @pc747 (commercial & hobbyist alike) be able to break the stigma surrounding this advancing technology. The fact of the matter is, drones are here to stay and the sooner the public can accept the fact that most drones aren't detrimental to their health, well-being and more importantly privacy, the better. Just as most drone operators aren't out to spy on you, crash into somebody's head or collide with an airplane or helicopter.

What I personally find more disconcerting is that the American public is more concerned about the POSSIBILITY of drones spying on them, then the REALITY of the government ALREADY spying on them, but i digress.
This leads me back to the whole "education & awareness" point. Even if you could care less about consumer drones and habe no desire to be anywhere near them, or interested in any of the photography or mapping capabilities they provide, outs still important the general public educate themselves on the capabilities, limitations and regulations currently surrounding drones. Otherwise the only time you'll hear about them is on the nightly, when something bad has happened.
And this type of education (and often misinformation) isn't good for anyone.

If anyone has any questions, please don't hesitate to ask. I'm more than happy to answer if i can. And if i don't know the answer, I can quickly find it for you. It's only through these types of discussions that we'll win this battle and stop the unnecessary villainization if you will, of this technology by the media.

S7 Edge tap'n