Who says you can't get something of value for free? VOIP ANYONE?

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
OK folks. I HAVE GREAT NEWS. You CAN forward your GrooVe IP number! It's done with a second app that you install from another service provider called RingTo. RingTo allows you to better manage your GrooVe IP number, and along with Call Forwarding it gives you Voice Mail, and even allows certain chosen calls to be "blocked" which then go automatically to Voice Mail rather than ringing to the phone.

So I installed it, and set it up to forward my GrooVe IP number to my desk phone. Then I dialed my GrooVe IP number and it asked me to enter it again. When I did, my desk phone began to ring. I put the outgoing call on hold, picked up the forwarded incoming call and heard the music on hold for my company.

Here's how it works;

Setting up call forwarding with RingTo. RingTo Community

For Android...Log into your RingTo account on the Android app and select the "My Numbers" tab under the menu stack.

Select the RingTo number of your choice to configure call forwarding settings. Select "edit number".

Activate the call forwarding button to "On" to forward calls. Customize your voicemail settings by selecting the number of seconds you want your phone to ring before directing the call to voicemail. You may also create a custom voice greeting by recording your voice or choosing the default answer setting. SMS auto-reply is also a feature you may choose to enable.

Specify which number you want calls forwarded to in the "enter number" field. Now you are all set to begin receiving forwarded calls from your RIngTo number!

On the website, you may select up to three numbers you would like calls forwarded to.

This is often helpful in the case of forwarding a landline number to multiple phones. You also have the option to select which number you want to appear when forwarded calls ring your phone: The number of the person calling you, or your RingTo number. Both of these features are only options that appear on the website version of RingTo. They will not appear in the app.

From the IOS app, log into RingTo and select the gear icon in the top righthand corner. Select "My Numbers" and which number you'd like to enable for call forwarding.

Enable the call forwarding option for your RingTo number and enter up to four other numbers you want these calls forwarded to. Hit "Done" when finished to save the settings.

When I tried that app ,Ringto, I tried to use my GIP number and I got an email with a pdf stating I was authorising them to port MY PHONES NUMBER, not what I put into the information box.
I got a hold of their tech support and they cancelled the request.
What The Frank ? It read my phones information is the only think I can think of that happened. Not cool.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

OP
FoxKat

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
No, I don't know how that could be, you have to have entered your phone number for that to happen. I almost made that mistake. But when I realized I backed out, uninstalled and reinstalled. Worked like a charm.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Second, what if I don't want any phone call logging at all? Google Voice automatically logs ALL calls to the Google ID that it's tied to. For me that would be undesirable.

I'm not an expert on hangouts. But I don't get your focus on call logs. If someone doesn't know your Google ID/password, they are never going to see your call logs. And it's not a "burner" phone - just because you don't get a call log doesn't mean the service provider doesn't have them nor that calls aren't traceable to your phone IP.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
No, I don't know how that could be, you have to have entered your phone number for that to happen. I almost made that mistake. But when I realized I backed out, uninstalled and reinstalled. Worked like a charm.
Nope. Entered my Groove number only. Riddle me this though. The app is using my Groove number, says that's my account number too. I've used it a couple of times, even forwarded to my phones number.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

OP
FoxKat

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
I'm not an expert on hangouts. But I don't get your focus on call logs. If someone doesn't know your Google ID/password, they are never going to see your call logs. And it's not a "burner" phone - just because you don't get a call log doesn't mean the service provider doesn't have them nor that calls aren't traceable to your phone IP.

I'm not concerned for the logs being untraceable. I'm not using it for illegal purposes. I'm not that stupid. But my Google account isn't private so yes, is a problem.

OP
FoxKat

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nope. Entered my Groove number only. Riddle me this though. The app is using my Groove number, says that's my account number too. I've used it a couple of times, even forwarded to my phones number.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4
Sounds like it's working right now then. Don't know how it got your actual phone number.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Sounds like it's working right now then. Don't know how it got your actual phone number.
Me either but the email says it'd take a short time to port, reply I got after asking it to be stopped said same thing. My phones number is still working on my phone so they must have caught it.
Anyway, when I logged into Groove I got a pop up stating my Ringto number is xxx-xxx-xxxx (same as Groove IP number) , I've got it forwarding to my phones number. Texts as well.
Thanks for the tip on that app. Step 1 down. Only thing left is figure out how to tether the watch to the tablet so I can hotspot the watch to it for those bigger screen need instances. As far as watch app updates and stuff, the Gear needs a Samsung phone to sync to ,without buying a work around app instead, but whichever phone only needs Wi-Fi so either my old Note2 or the Note4 will work if I disconnect the 4.
This is nuts but it might just work.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I just had an epiphany. Why use a tablet and not a non network connected phone instead?
Doh!

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

OP
FoxKat

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
That's what I said LOOOOOONG time ago.!! LOL! :rolleyes:

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
I've been using groove ip for several years, mainly as a house phone with old devices. It's only drawback is receiving calls. Sometimes they go through and sometimes they don't. It's a hit and miss. But making calls isn't a problem.

Just recently I bought brand new lg volt for Virgin Mobile for $20 thanks to Virgin Mobile LG Volt 4G LTE No-Contract Smartphone - Slickdeals.net
And with help of groove ip my 3 year old has her own phone that she uses to call grandparents daily and youtube to watch her favorite cartoons. Now just need to teach her how to connect to open wifi networks when she isn't at home...

AvaMichele

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note 4
I've been using groove ip for several years, mainly as a house phone with old devices. It's only drawback is receiving calls. Sometimes they go through and sometimes they don't. It's a hit and miss. But making calls isn't a problem.

Just recently I bought brand new lg volt for Virgin Mobile for $20 thanks to Virgin Mobile LG Volt 4G LTE No-Contract Smartphone - Slickdeals.net
And with help of groove ip my 3 year old has her own phone that she uses to call grandparents daily and youtube to watch her favorite cartoons. Now just need to teach her how to connect to open wifi networks when she isn't at home...
We set this up for my 4 year old grandson on Friday when he spent the night. He has one of our older smart phones that he uses for YouTube kids, and some games. He was so excited to call mommy and daddy on his phone!

✋ Sent from my Droid Turbo with Tapatalk

OP
FoxKat

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
We set this up for my 4 year old grandson on Friday when he spent the night. He has one of our older smart phones that he uses for YouTube kids, and some games. He was so excited to call mommy and daddy on his phone!

✋ Sent from my Droid Turbo with Tapatalk
Awesome! Its so nice when technology actually works and it's simple to use and inexpensive or in the case of GrooVe IP, completely free!

So glad your grandson enjoys this and obviously so does his mommy!