Who prefers the extended battery case and weight to the standard?

DamirD1984

Reaction score
I wouldn't mind it, since I always get the Otterbox Defender series cases for my phones, so bulkiness is not a concern for me. But Otterbox does not make cases for extended battery cases, and those cases I have seen for extended versions, don't seem to appeal to me.

IRSmurf

Reaction score
I prefer the grippy feel with the extended battery. It's certainly thick, but we're not talking Palm Treo thickness here.

I survived the Treo 600. I can handle this ----.

-.-

Fonzz

Reaction score
No, What he is asking which is what i would like to know as well is does the extended battery fit in the stand alone battery charger that comes with the extra (standard) battery in the Costco bundle?

no it does not.

Not sure where you're getting your information. I got the Costco bundle and I also ordered the extended battery which easily fits (seems like it was meant to) the battery only charger, that came in the Costco bundle... dancedroid

That makes me Sad. :(

Rejoice!

Human_Droid

Reaction score
I'm going on 7 hrs lite to moderate use in and out of 4g zones and have 80% battery life left! Standard battery. ~20% screen brightness, facebook, few phone calls, texts, etc.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

snakeyes

Reaction score
Not sure where you're getting your information. I got the Costco bundle and I also ordered the extended battery which easily fits (seems like it was meant to) the battery only charger, that came in the Costco bundle... dancedroid

Rejoice!

I will rejoice. I had been debating getting the costco package or not becase all i really need is the car dock and exended battery but the separate charger is worth getting the bundle if it can do either battery. Thank you

OP
SSHGuru

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
For some reason my battery went fast this morning even though I barely used it. Went to task manager and ended some stuff. The only thing I did on purpose was turn OFF Screebl since it always is at the top.

I ended up turning it back on - it's got to be a reporting error not an accurate reading.

Droids

Reaction score
Weight and Dimension differences:

Code:
[SIZE=3][FONT=courier new]Stock OG Droid thickness:  .58" (14.7mm)
Stock Bionic thickness:    .53" (13.5mm)
Extended Bionic thickness: .81" (15.6mm)

Stock OG Droid weight:  6.0oz (169g)
Stock Bionic weight:    5.5oz (157g)
Extended Bionic weight: 6.5oz (185g)[/FONT][/SIZE]

So the Bionic with extended battery is thicker than the OG Droid but when placed on a table and sighting over them it's just a hair thicker, close enough to call them equal. The extended Bionic is also heavier than the OG Droid though it doesn't really feel like it, probably because the weight is spread out over a bigger area.

I think I'll be fine with the thickness and weight given the much longer run time.

I can also confirm the extended Bionic fits the home dock, the car dock, the belt holster, and the extended battery fits in the stand alone battery charger just fine.

OP
SSHGuru

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
So it's thicker and heavier.

So far I don't mind.

I'm still getting mixed results of life.

I also have no way to keep the standard battery charged.

Milehighjc

Reaction score
I carried my Bionic for a couple of weeks with the standard battery in the Shell/Holster Combo (BTW, love the kickstand on that shell). With the Standard battery, I felt like the balance was a little off - the shell is large enough for the big battery, but is "empty". I never dropped it, but always felt like I had to keep a strong grip on it.

After spending a lot of time in a 4G area (no 4G at home for me unfortunately), I had to pick up the extended battery. I was surprised to find that the extra weight REALLY helped the balance... the phone no longer feels like its ready to fall out of my hand.

Net : battery lasts a LOT longer (Im now getting a full day instead of 6-8 hours), and it feels better in my hand.

jc

OP
SSHGuru

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
True that the way the standard is designed you feel like you have a harder time holding it. That's because of the hump.

The extended battery fixes that.

Cinoib

Reaction score
I agree with milehigh and ssh. I bought the extended battery after having the Bionic 4 a week or so. Feels way better then standard in the hand. I also bought the holster shell combo from Verizon with the kick stand. In all honesty i find myself taking the bionic out of the shell and carrying it in a cell pocket in my shorts. That's when I found it feels better balanced in my hand then the stock battery.

OP
SSHGuru

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
I always carry it in my jeans - never used a protector for the OG Droid - same with the Bionic. It's either in a pants pocket or sitting on a desk (or in my cup holder in the car or if navigating I lean it).

Cinoib

Reaction score
I bought the extended battery at Verizon. And yes, it was half off. Way cool there! I am in and out of 4g coverage all day (rolling office...). Even with the extended I am at some 30 percent by mid afternoon. I don't watch a lot of video (except for Sunday - a workday for me). I am constantly in and out of Red Zone NFL. I have found one of the 4g 3g toggles at the app store that has helped because now it's so much easier to toggle off the 4g radio. But I am seldom able on Sunday to make it much past noon with more then 20 percent or so on the extended. Fortunately the standard USB connector makes connecting to various recharge sources easy. Fortunately, a recharge takes a few hours rather then half the day so recharging is far less a concern. The other night a family member went to the ER. I was there running around with the charger hanging out of my pocket and the oem battery in my pocket knowing that I'd be on the phone constantly. I am rooted and I have Titanium back up. I've got to freeze some bloatware. I love the phone (the Bionic) but I wish I could get the life out of it like I do the Galaxy Tab. Granted I"m not making calls with the tab and it's 3g only. And the Bionic is the new toy so I use it far more often then past toys. My guess is that once the honey moon is over I'll get way more life out of it then I do now. I've just got to learn to use it responsibly. I'm looking forward to custom roms that better utilize the battery. Anyone here found a rom they like yet? I've not had the time to check out xda to get the latest on roms but I'm sure someone out there in xda land has come close to releasing something...