Who plans on picking up the Moto Z Force?

OP
smalltowngirl13

smalltowngirl13

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force 2
Twitter
smalltownlife13
I'm looking forward to your review ! I'm bummed the bands don't all line up with T-Mobile otherwise I would have ordered

6S PLUS

I hear ya...hopefully they rethink the unlocked versions and release something comparable to the Force for y'all...you would think the more the phone is available the better chance we have for more mods and such.

OP
smalltowngirl13

smalltowngirl13

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force 2
Twitter
smalltownlife13
You're right, my priorities are all out of order. I think I'm coming down with something.... cough.

You are definitely looking pale, I think you should take a sick day LOL :)...

mcraeh

Reaction score
Got it! Wow this thing is freaking huge. I hope I can get used to it (switching from Moto X 2013). Will update later as I get it going.

mcraeh

Reaction score
Question.... is there any reason to use a tempered glass screen protector on the shatterproof screen?

OP
smalltowngirl13

smalltowngirl13

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force 2
Twitter
smalltownlife13
Probably personal preference on the screen protector...I picked one up and haven't decided yet if I am gonna put it on.

~sent while mobile~

jkaod

Gold Member
Reaction score
I will use one for sure. Shatterproof doesn't mean scratch proof.

mcraeh

Reaction score
Ok got the phone and it is freaking huge (big change from my moto x 2013).so far so good but I've made one phone call and it got dropped twice and according to who I was talking to, I was cutting in and out. Is that because of advanced calling? I don't have a very good 4g signal at my house, barely one bar and it switches between 3g and 4g quite a bit.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

mcraeh

Reaction score
One other note... when using the battery pack, the phone gets pretty hot on the edges. Curious to see if that is normal. I got a case for it, just a lightweight silicone thing, but it doesn't fit well with the style shell. Obviously was made to go on the phone without anyother accessories. On a positive note, the fingerprint reader is awesome and works really well. I guess I'm so used to the regular buttons that it doesn't make me think it is a home screen button at all so that doesn't bother me. Transferring my stuff was really easy too, it used the NFC thing and I didn't even have to put in my wifi or google password again, somehow it got it off the other phone. Still trying to get it set up though, will report back when I've had more time to mess with it.

OP
smalltowngirl13

smalltowngirl13

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force 2
Twitter
smalltownlife13
To tag on to what @mcraeh has said...the fingerprint sensor is as good as the iPhone - for me it is right there as an equal. Up to this point iPhone has had the best sensor.

I like the idea that it serves no other purpose than to unlock the phone or with a long press to lock the phone. I use onscreen navigation buttons (Pie Pro) and wish I could hide the stock nav keys but oh well.

The phone is basically the same height as my iPhone 6S Plus and Note 5 so size is okay for me. I have the Tumi battery mod on currently (brushed metal, feels good in hand) and as noted the sides of the phone get warm with use (heavy use, downloading, setting up, etc). However, the wireless charging with the battery mod is great and has worked with 3 of my wireless chargers (including the Samsung fast charger that I use with my Note 5). It also did appear that the battery mod did charge while placed on my wireless charger without being attached to the phone so that is a plus (I think LOL)...

Use so far - very smooth, no lag or hang-ups - really seems to handle app switching and tasks with ease. Again, only day 1 so further use might change that.

The thinness of the phone is awesome but without the battery mod on, it would be in a case cause that is how I like my phones but I can see several liking it naked. The camera hump, its there but doesn't bother me - with the style shell on or a case, it blends right in.

That's it for now - will put up more later. If anyone gets a chance for some hands-on with the device - definitely try it out and post up what ya think!

OP
smalltowngirl13

smalltowngirl13

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force 2
Twitter
smalltownlife13
I will use one for sure. Shatterproof doesn't mean scratch proof.

I put the flexible glass on (one from VZW)...for me, it works.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Question.... is there any reason to use a tempered glass screen protector on the shatterproof screen?
Congrats on the new phone. I am jealous. In my opinion Yes. Definitely....Yes. I have had a Droid Turbo 2 since shortly after launch and the shatter shield screen is awesome. But...it's a 5 layer design and the outer layer is basically a thick screen protector. It will scratch easily. And you can puncture it if dropped on a sharp object. I have a small tear / puncture in the outer layer of my phone from one small drop onto a hotel coffee table that had rough edges. Since then I put a tempered glass screen protector on for the added scratch protection. The outer 5th layer is user replaceable. The Turbo 2 outer layer is around $30 from Motorola, I would imagine yours is around the same. But a $20 glass protector means you should never have to worry about trying to replace the $30 outer layer down the road.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Ok got the phone and it is freaking huge (big change from my moto x 2013).so far so good but I've made one phone call and it got dropped twice and according to who I was talking to, I was cutting in and out. Is that because of advanced calling? I don't have a very good 4g signal at my house, barely one bar and it switches between 3g and 4g quite a bit.

Yes. Advanced Calling relies on a strong 4G / LTE connection. The unfortunate thing is...if you turn AC to Off you can't talk and use Data at the same time.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

OP
smalltowngirl13

smalltowngirl13

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force 2
Twitter
smalltownlife13
A few pictures...
uploadfromtaptalk1469746490129.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1469746495514.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1469746500634.jpg

mcraeh

Reaction score
Ok thanks for that. I guess no data and voice is better than dropped calls.