who here is upgrading to the Galaxy S III

k1ngr4t

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force
Where to begin...well for starters the glass smears way easier than my Bionic. Moto used brand Corning Gorilla Glass, while the Rezound has a substitute. I am constantly having to wipe off viewable fingerprints, whereas with my Bionic I don't think it was ever a issue. I wash my hands frequently for my job, but because I have to keep the brightness settings so low for the most part for battery, you can almost always see fingerprints here or there. Sure you can turn the brightness up to cover the smudges a bit more (thus decreasing battery life tremendously) and MAKE IT EASIER to see in the sun, but it still isn't easy, even at 100%. With my Bionic, it was nothing. No matter what settings, I could always see it perfectly. On that note, I always had brightness turned up 100% and I NEVER had slight battery issues. Here, I have the extended MUGEN battery (not vz own), I keep the screen at 25% and my battery life SUCKS. Easily my biggest complaint with the phone at this point.There also is a slight edge radius issue. Noticeable mostly with Swype, and while both are 4.3 in. screens, for some reason the edge radius for your finger just isn't as long as the Bionic. It's maybe half of half a millimeter smaller, but it makes all the difference. Your finger, especially someone like me with big hands, will occasionally slide off, resetting the slide so it was more like a swype to the left or right. With Swype if you go from say A to P it'll catch and you'll lose the line, causing a random word to appear. Very frustrating when just trying to send a quick text. And FINALLY, another issue only noticeable in Kindle, but the red buttons have a bleed over effect in the dark. With the black background and the lights off, you can clearly see 4 white glows coming up into the screen, as opposed to my Bionic which was perfectly black. And just to re-empahsize, the battery life tradeoff for the oh so slight increase in visual quality is not worth it IMO.

So like I said, overall it's certainly not BAD, but I really loved my Bionics screen. I'm outdoors so much it was a MAJOR advantage that I def took for granted. And also, I have pretty damn good vision, and honestly the whole 342 ppi 720xwhatever resolution means nothing to me. When it comes to clarity, I thought both screens looked fantastic and that's all I care about, I've never been one to be nit picky over trivial matters (especially if battery life factors in). If one's stat numbers are one step higher than the others, I think I'll be ok.

JeffDenver

Reaction score
I wash my hands frequently for my job, but because I have to keep the brightness settings so low for the most part for battery
Well there's your problem.

I will never understand how people can turn brightness down...especially just to save battery life. Dim screens annoy the hell out of me. Only time I ever turn brightness down is if I am at a club or otherwise viewing at night. I never ever turn it down for power saving reasons.

With the extended battery I easily do a full day with Max brightness.

The Rezound definitely does not have the best display for bright sunlight. It isn't bad IMO, but middle of the road. For me this was an acceptable trade off for the display quality (the Rezound has the highest pixel density of any phone on the market right now, and probably the best gradients and color accuracy as well). The PPI thing would mean more to you if you were reading small text...it does make a huge difference IMO. Tiny text is very clear on the Rezound.

Issemann

Reaction score
The Rezound definitely does not have the best display for bright sunlight. It isn't bad IMO, but middle of the road. For me this was an acceptable trade off for the display quality (the Rezound has the highest pixel density of any phone on the market right now, and probably the best gradients and color accuracy as well). The PPI thing would mean more to you if you were reading small text...it does make a huge difference IMO. Tiny text is very clear on the Rezound.

+1 I have great eyesight and I can see the difference.

HTC Rezound running Scott's CleanROM

OP
cybertec69

cybertec69

Silver Member
Reaction score
Ok, here is my dilemma, I love my HTC Rezound with :hail:ICS, I have an unlimited data plan and have been due for an upgrade "which means I will be tied to Verizon for another two years" saying I go with my upgrade at subsidized price with the Galaxy S3 "have 7 more days to decide", at the moment I am on a month to month payment plan and not tied down to Verizon, what would you do in my shoes, get the S3 at subsidized $ or stay with the Rezound with :hail:ICS.:icon_ devil:

OP
cybertec69

cybertec69

Silver Member
Reaction score
Stay with the Rezound. I wouldn't buy a FIREBALL of a phone.
You said it, but still have this upgrade that is itching in my pants, maybe it's all just hype, as my Rezound does everything I need it to do and it does it well, but the S3 does look like a nice device.

JeffDenver

Reaction score
The Galaxy S3 is better than the Rezound in every way except the display. In some ways (Camera, CPU) significantly better.

Issemann

Reaction score
You said it, but still have this upgrade that is itching in my pants, maybe it's all just hype, as my Rezound does everything I need it to do and it does it well, but the S3 does look like a nice device.

I'm in the same boat as you are. Here's the way I see it...

If you like the service you're getting with Verizon, use the upgrade and get the S3. Worse case, you can ebay the S3 and make a few bucks.

If you plan on staying with Verizon & don't use the upgrade, then you've simply wasted it.

I decided to use it and get the S3 - even if I don't get rid of my Rezound.

k1ngr4t

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force
Well there's your problem.

I will never understand how people can turn brightness down...especially just to save battery life. Dim screens annoy the hell out of me. Only time I ever turn brightness down is if I am at a club or otherwise viewing at night. I never ever turn it down for power saving reasons.

With the extended battery I easily do a full day with Max brightness.

See I own the extended battery, but I think it's just too ugly. I admit, I really care about style with my smartphones, and the standard Rezound looks great. At my work in our break room, everyone keeps their smartphones side by side on a table, sometimes up to 10. So when I tried my Rezound extended, no case, several times did someone reach down for the white board eraser and just subconsciously grab the nearest big black eraser looking thing on the table and picked up my phone. Another coworker commented that it looked like a jetpack. Though I did appreciate the extra life, I figured the trade off in weight, size, looks was worth charging it once a day if necessary. If you don't understand, then use the standard battery with moderate use during a day.

I definitely think the Rezound screen "looks better" overall, as I came over right away from a pentile, but like I said I'm not one to care about little things like that. Usability is more important to me PERSONALLY. Clarity was never an issue, power usage and the last two things mentioned are my main problems. I also just loved my Bionic and I loved the pentile, only a screen door effect if you look for it. When you get used to just taking in the whole thing at once it looks fantastic. Also I have huge hands and the bionic's extended battery was PERFECT for me. And it still looked sleek, even inside a silicone case.

Just giving the perspective of a user who needs a lot of accessibility and usability with their phone. :happy3:

DroidBoardr

Reaction score
I'm in the same boat as you are. Here's the way I see it...

If you like the service you're getting with Verizon, use the upgrade and get the S3. Worse case, you can ebay the S3 and make a few bucks.

If you plan on staying with Verizon & don't use the upgrade, then you've simply wasted it.

I decided to use it and get the S3 - even if I don't get rid of my Rezound.

I agree completely. I see it as a no loose situation. If you upgrade to the S3 and don't like it you have 14 days to return it. Or later Sell it. You will never know how awesome the S3 could be without trying it out. I love my Rezound, and have no issues, but the New S3 looks like it has some pretty neat features, and 2G Ram sounds awesome. Heres hoping for better radios that were in the Nexus.

droid.user

Reaction score
Im thinking on which to use my upgrade on, been faithful and still use the D1 for my personal phone and Bionic for work
With the rezound, can i use Beats Audio on other apps besides built in?
How is the camera...honestly

Please let me know, i have 3 upgrades which all need to happen before the 28th lol

OP
cybertec69

cybertec69

Silver Member
Reaction score
Im thinking on which to use my upgrade on, been faithful and still use the D1 for my personal phone and Bionic for work

Please let me know, i have 3 upgrades which all need to happen before the 28th lol
To be honest with you, the beats integration in the Rezound blows "never use it", it is two bass heavy no midrange to speak off, I use power Amp and Winamp, and yes in the Rezound beats only work with music loaded on your phone. I also use the equalizer app from the app store which works with all your music apps. Looks like I will be getting the S3, might as well use my upgrade, not planing to leave Verizon, have unlimited data and at $72 a month with 500 text outside the network and unlimited inside the network, plus 450 min, can't go wrong, and also have my house hooked up with Fios. Check out the 4.8" screen, makes the 4.3" look small. Plus it's smooth as butter.
[video=youtube;ALUxf1R0aXU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALUxf1R0aXU&feature=plcp[/video]

Last edited:

JeffDenver

Reaction score
The camera is awesome. It does better in low light than any of the camera's from it's release or earlier (I think the S3 and One series probably do better low light). It has the best macro mode of any phone camera I have seen so far. I love the touch-to-focus feature...you touch an object on the display and the camera focuses on it specifically.

It will do 1080p video well, but it will not do the rapid-stills that the new cameras can do.

Photos taken in low light and bright light:
Photos Taken With Your Rezound Camera! - Page 6 - Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com

Macro Mode in bright light (from my phone):
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...ne-has-better-camera-quality.html#post2089322

Macro mode in low light (from my phone):
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...-has-better-camera-quality-2.html#post2089338

With the flash in total darkness (from my phone):
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-general-discussions/202288-phone-has-better-camera-quality-3.html#post2089408

A
s for beats, yes you can use it with other apps. The catch is that they have to support it specifically. The only app I know of that does that is Poweramp, although there might be others. It is likely there will be others since Beats support is now an HTC thing (on all HTC phones, not just the Rezound).

Last edited:

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
The camera is awesome. It does better in low light than any of the camera's from it's release or earlier (I think the S3 and One series probably do better low light). It has the best macro mode of any phone camera I have seen so far. I love the touch-to-focus feature...you touch an object on the display and the camera focuses on it specifically.

It will do 1080p video well, but it will not do the rapid-stills that the new cameras can do.

Photos taken in low light and bright light:
Photos Taken With Your Rezound Camera! - Page 6 - Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com

Macro Mode in bright light (from my phone):
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...ne-has-better-camera-quality.html#post2089322

Macro mode in low light (from my phone):
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...-has-better-camera-quality-2.html#post2089338

With the flash in total darkness (from my phone):
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-general-discussions/202288-phone-has-better-camera-quality-3.html#post2089408

A
s for beats, yes you can use it with other apps. The catch is that they have to support it specifically. The only app I know of that does that is Poweramp, although there might be others. It is likely there will be others since Beats support is now an HTC thing (on all HTC phones, not just the Rezound).

I use Frame Grabber. It allows me to make as many stills per second of video as the device shoots at and not just the phones camera. I make stills from my Cyber Shot of videos I put on my phones SD card and since it shoots 60fps I can get as many as 60 stills per second of video whereas the Rezound shoots less than 60fps so I can't get as many. It's great for action shots and getting just the right moment with no blur

Support Our Troops!!!
<><
A Rezound phone was used for this Tapatalk post

Schimm

Reaction score
If the radio on the 3 is similar to that on the Gnex I would have no interest.

Sent from my hookah via hash cloud.