Who hasn't received froyo yet??

slaya786

Reaction score
Daughter got it this morning. Contained within the update are 11 additional apps that are being pushed to your phone, the keyboard layout for texts is changed, several of the new apps are continually running so the battery life is sucking worse than before. And she is experiencing reboots every 30-40 minutes. She is totally unhappy with the update and wants the 2.1 back. So y'all don't be in a hurry to get this, I'm thinking its not the greatest.

Would that mean by doing the "manual update" you wouldn't be recieving the 11 other apps being pushed?

tw15egan

Reaction score
Yeah, I got mine on Saturday, it was a bit shaky at first, but after a few manual restarts its smoothed out and is working completely fine. Battery usage is no different, if anything it is better. She should be using ATK

dlwhtrose

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
God forsaken desert, wishing to be back in Dixie
I have no idea. I think the apps are buried in the update somewhere so I would assume that manual or OTA you are going to get the same thing. I also think that the only way to remove the bloatware is to root the phone but in my instance my daughter does not want to do that so I am trying to find a way to disable the apps she does not want.

Tanknspank

Beta Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I got mine on Saturday, it was a bit shaky at first, but after a few manual restarts its smoothed out and is working completely fine. Battery usage is no different, if anything it is better. She should be using ATK

No, she shouldn't. Usually causes more problems than not... And using it the right way (even if there is a way that is considered right) doesn't make a huge difference at all.

tw15egan

Reaction score
okay, so what is your advice then? I get significantly better battery life than I did before I started using it.

Noobish

Reaction score
Ny. I just got it and now my phone is not as responsive. Hoping for an update to fix it . Fml

Tanknspank

Beta Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
Great help!

But no seriously, task killers don't do much extra. People try to make a difference just so they can say differently, subconsciously or not. Many MANY people on this forum never use a task killer and get better life than I do.

tw15egan

Reaction score
I just don't get how killing applications I am not going to need for awhile that are running in background would hurt my battery life?

hmm what does everyone else do to save battery?

Tanknspank

Beta Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
I just don't get how killing applications I am not going to need for awhile that are running in background would hurt my battery life?

hmm what does everyone else do to save battery?

But 99% of the time, people either do it excessively or don't exclude apps so most reopen when they are killed. Excluding the ones that reopen or using another app to stop them helps if you are going to use a task killer (I mean, who am I to stop you). But most of the time apps are just sitting in memory and not using battery. Yes, there is the one bad app that can be constantly running in the background, but then an app like that is another story.

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
With Androids built in Task and Process Managment System a Task Killer is not needed, the reason it hurts your battery life is because the system has to work harder to manage tasks because the third party Task Killer is working against it. On your device applications don't actually run in the background, they are *frozen* until you open that process again

The best way to see this in action is to get an interactive live wallpaper and interact with it...a lot, then open an application and take note of what your live wallpaper is doing when you open the app, leave the app open for ten minutes and then press home and your LWP will be exactly where it was when you were interacting with it ten minutes prior

Tanknspank

Beta Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the detailed responses guys, and opening up my eyes!
:D

No problem :D

Btw, most of the things I do to save battery require root access, like setting up profiles to lower the clock speed while the screen is off, and such. Other than that, I don't do much at all.