Who has gotten the 2.3.20 OTA update? and when?

Jedidr0id

Reaction score
My updating keeps on failing every time my phone reboots. I'm rooted on 2.2 but not running a rom. I am I doing something wrong?

hauckta

Reaction score
Really? Any idea why they changed that?

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

jasnmar

Reaction score
Then you'll need to put them back. The update seems to be validating that some of the files exist before installing.

Sent from my DROID2

Jedidr0id

Reaction score
Oh man, this is going to take some time. I'll save it for the weekend. Are there any specific files?

super_saxy

Reaction score
I got it today at work. I haven't had much time to play around with it yet. The only thing I've noticed so far is that the clock on the lock screen is centered now, and the unlock and volume sliders have been moved up.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

jasnmar

Reaction score
Skype mobil and city id are two that are pretty commonly removed and others have indicated that there was trouble with out them.

Sent from my DROID2

Canadroid

Reaction score
Then you'll need to put them back. The update seems to be validating that some of the files exist before installing.

Sent from my DROID2

So I've realized at this point there WAS one stock app I abolished early on-- NFS or Need For Speed Shift. Further I think I was stupid enough to actually delete it with TB rather than rename it, so unless I can find that .apk somewhere....

Guess I learn the hard way this time! :icon_ nono:

Canadroid

Reaction score
I haven't actually tried this file, but you might try How To: Download And Install Need For Speed Shift On Android Phone

Sent from my DROID2

Thank you for the link! I was looking at that via web search about an hour ago in fact. Suppose it wouldn't hurt to try?

My wife has a non-rooted D2 purchased about a month after mine--and it patched no problem today-- so my first thought was to simply grab the game .apk from her. BUT--I had her check and she claims NFS is not in the app list, not installed on her phone--I think she's blind, but we will see when I get home.

I suppose it's possible VZW stopped preloading it in August/September due to it being a beta/trial version of the game, or they removed it with 2.3 update--but both seem really unlikely to me.

jasnmar

Reaction score
If you think that file continues to be the problem post back. I did a quick scan of my app folder and didn't see what I thought was the correct file, but if you can figure out the name let me know and I'll post it.

Sent from my DROID2

MattyP

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
If you think that file continues to be the problem post back. I did a quick scan of my app folder and didn't see what I thought was the correct file, but if you can figure out the name let me know and I'll post it.

Sent from my DROID2

I can tell you from recent experience (TONIGHT) that the City ID .apk was a royal pain for me, someone referred me to a link to download it, because I too deleted it along with Skype after I rooted. The Skype app I was able to download from the market, however the City ID app I downloaded as an .apk, transferred it from my laptop to the phone via USB, but my root file manager had trouble copying and pasting the file from the SD card. Once I got it there, I tried to install it, and it kept saying "No Install" next to the name of it. Well I tried the update anyway, to see if it would update without the file being "installed", since the update runs checksums on the .apk's. Well I am very happy to say the update still applied, I am now updated and it took me 5 minutes to re-root, and life is good again for me. So in summary, the City ID .apk needs to be there, but it doesn't matter if it's "installed" or not. As long as it's there the update will work. Here is the thread I started earlier:

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...ons/93898-some-definitive-answers-please.html

Canadroid

Reaction score

Sent from my DROID2

Will do so, thanks. The network here at the office has a very aggressive software suite that loads encryption software onto any USB device it connects to--no way I'm letting that near my D2 !!! So when I get home then. :)

...had trouble copying and pasting the file from the SD card. Once I got it there, I tried to install it, and it kept saying "No Install" next to the name of it. Well I tried the update anyway, to see if it would update without the file being "installed", since the update runs checksums on the .apk's. Well I am very happy to say the update still applied, I am now updated and it took me 5 minutes to re-root...

Just to clarify--you did manage to get the City .apk off of the SD card and into the internal apps folder then? After which the update finally passed a checksum? Good to hear.

Saw this below in another thread, so assuming I can find the correct NFS .apk I s/b able to dump it in /data and patch up without having to install the game itself.

The /system/app folder is where all the apps that are preloaded are. Except for need for speed shift that is in data

MattyP

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Yep, Canadroid, it didn't want to work at first, but I did finally manage to get the .apk into the system/app folder... then it still wouldn't "install" even though it went through the motions. But as long as that .apk file is in there, the update will do it's thing. :)