Who has gone through a career change?

cerisecons

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 22 Ultra
Education, if you don't need to jump in a hurry, find your interests, and take some adult night school courses, it can help you determine your interests better and give you some direction for the right connections.

Reactions: cr6

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Education, if you don't need to jump in a hurry, find your interests, and take some adult night school courses, it can help you determine your interests better and give you some direction for the right connections.
True. I came upon my current profession only after returning to school.

cerisecons

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 22 Ultra
Not only is education helpful for future direction, it's excellent to further a current career. You can meet people that are doing and thinking the same as you.
Also, I can't believe I'm going to list this, but LinkedIn can be beneficial, Networking is essential, not only an IT word, I use it all the time in Construction. Many times, if not most times, it's not what you know, but who you know... An Old but true statement.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
Absolutely. It also looks good on your resume. Even if the class you're taking is completely different from the field you're currently in. It helps show an employer that you're taking the initiative and working to better yourself.

S5 tap'n

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Before my first round of college, my dad always used to tell me about a guy he knew who had a degree in botany or something similar who worked as an engineer.

Having education under your belt, even if it doesn't apply directly to your desired field, shows that you're trainable & willing to put in effort.

Sent from my Note 4 via Tapatalk

cerisecons

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 22 Ultra
Before my first round of college, my dad always used to tell me about a guy he knew who had a degree in botany or something similar who worked as an engineer.

Having education under your belt, even if it doesn't apply directly to your desired field, shows that you're trainable & willing to put in effort.

Sent from my Note 4 via Tapatalk
I'd be willing to bet that 20-50% of degrees don't match the current occupation, but it broadens your view, and you get to meet interesting people or at least watch the loons;) (speaking of extended education that is...)

OP
dezymond

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Excellent advice in this thread, and extremely helpful. More education is most likely in the cards for me, whether it be the field I'm in now, or a different one.

I'll try to sell myself to different fields for now and see if it takes me anywhere.

cerisecons

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 22 Ultra
Good luck on your search, it's not always money that drives a career choice, and in many ways shouldn't be. Money is great and provides some temporary satisfaction, but loving what you do, and having more in life than your work that will make you complete.
Good thoughts and prayers for your journey.

OP
dezymond

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Good luck on your search, it's not always money that drives a career choice, and in many ways shouldn't be. Money is great and provides some temporary satisfaction, but loving what you do, and having more in life than your work that will make you complete.
Good thoughts and prayers for your journey.
I like what I do (I work in the world of ABA), but I can't say I love what I do. It's a fun job right now, but I don't think I can see myself making a career of it. Can't make much money or advancement throughout this field without that Master's degree either. Hence, the start of this thread.

College helped me figure out who I was and I've since held onto those values. I may be a bit older and wiser, but feels like I'm back at square one. So right now I'm just trying to be a sponge and soak up as much information that others are giving me about their experiences or suggestions for me.