Who has Droid X Gingerbread and why don't I?

Status
Not open for further replies.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
Here are the tweets I was referring to from birdman about writing drivers:

_mrbirdman_ @blink_c @TheRealBeesley @aliasxerog @nenolod theres a reason kexec was abandoned, the radio will be a major barrier.
about 3 hours ago via web

aliasxerog @_mrbirdman_ yeah I know. I'm really hoping we can write drivers for it.
about 3 hours ago via Twitter for Android

_mrbirdman_ @aliasxerog no drivers about it dude, you have to reset the radio rom, which reboots the phone...
about 3 hours ago via web

Pretty much what he's saying is when the phone is rebooted you lose the bootstrap, I believe. And kexec requires a reset of the radio rom...which reboots the phone. If I'm wrong, someone correct me, but that's what I get out of it. So writing drivers for the radio is pointless since the phone will be rebooted, at which point the moto bootloader takes over again? I don't know much about kexec, know more about the encryption haha. Bypassing a locked bootloader is not as simple as writing drivers...

droidxchat

Reaction score
I think what I'm saying is pretty clear. I've been saying since the beginning of time that the droid x bootloader is not going to be bypassed. We can argue about what you think I'm saying if you'd like haha, but I know what I'm saying. It's a good pipe dream but it's not going to happen. Every time I've said "if", I've also said "but it's not going to". It'll be an "oh cool" type of thing simply because of how difficult it will be to do it, and the fact that the phone is going to be old news. Again...it's not going to happen.

I agree that what you're saying is clear. But you don't seem to understand what I'm saying, so I apologize because maybe I wasn't clear enough. I'm not talking about the probability of this happening or if its impossible, I'm talking about your prediction of the outcome if this did happen. What I'll do then is simply quote you.... this way, it isn't what I think you're saying, its literally what you said.

Referring to what would happen if DX bootloader got bypassed (whether impossible or not):
It'll be an "oh cool" type of thing simply because of how difficult it will be to do it, and the fact that the phone is going to be old news.

Referring to why the D1 is still "relevant":
The d1 has an unlocked bootloader and get new os versions as fast a dev can compile one. Sometimes as little after a week. Not so the case with the x. That's why the d1 is still relevant. If the d1 bootloader was locked, no one would care about it. It's a dinosaur in the android world haha

It should be obvious that these two quotes contradict each other, but in case it is not, I'll attempt to break them down. Mind you, this isn't my interpretation of what you're saying, its more of a paraphrase for the purpose of clarity.

-Were the DX bootloader bypassed, it will merely be an "oh cool" type of thing because of its age or that its is obsolete.

-The fact that the d1 is still "relevant" is directly attributed to it not having a bootloader problem. It is "relevant" despite the fact that its a "dinosaur".

So now at this point you should see what I mean... and my own argument from here is that should the d1 serve as a historical example, the DX will still retain a large following and relevance should the bootloader be bypassed, even as it ages and becomes even more obsolete. Again, I'm not talking about how plausible it is to bypass, I'm talking about what would happen if it were bypassed.

Sorry, not trying to take this out of proportion, just trying to clarify what it was I meant.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
I think what I'm saying is pretty clear. I've been saying since the beginning of time that the droid x bootloader is not going to be bypassed. We can argue about what you think I'm saying if you'd like haha, but I know what I'm saying. It's a good pipe dream but it's not going to happen. Every time I've said "if", I've also said "but it's not going to". It'll be an "oh cool" type of thing simply because of how difficult it will be to do it, and the fact that the phone is going to be old news. Again...it's not going to happen.

I agree that what you're saying is clear. But you don't seem to understand what I'm saying, so I apologize because maybe I wasn't clear enough. I'm not talking about the probability of this happening or if its impossible, I'm talking about your prediction of the outcome if this did happen. What I'll do then is simply quote you.... this way, it isn't what I think you're saying, its literally what you said.

Referring to what would happen if DX bootloader got bypassed (whether impossible or not):
It'll be an "oh cool" type of thing simply because of how difficult it will be to do it, and the fact that the phone is going to be old news.

Referring to why the D1 is still "relevant":
The d1 has an unlocked bootloader and get new os versions as fast a dev can compile one. Sometimes as little after a week. Not so the case with the x. That's why the d1 is still relevant. If the d1 bootloader was locked, no one would care about it. It's a dinosaur in the android world haha

It should be obvious that these two quotes contradict each other, but in case it is not, I'll attempt to break them down. Mind you, this isn't my interpretation of what you're saying, its more of a paraphrase for the purpose of clarity.

-Were the DX bootloader bypassed, it will merely be an "oh cool" type of thing because of its age or that its is obsolete.

-The fact that the d1 is still "relevant" is directly attributed to it not having a bootloader problem. It is "relevant" despite the fact that its a "dinosaur".

So now at this point you should see what I mean... and my own argument from here is that should the d1 serve as a historical example, the DX will still retain a large following and relevance should the bootloader be bypassed, even as it ages and becomes even more obsolete. Again, I'm not talking about how plausible it is to bypass, I'm talking about what would happen if it were bypassed.

Sorry, not trying to take this out of proportion, just trying to clarify what it was I meant.

I understand, but would you like to quote me where I said the D1 would be relevant if it had a locked bootloader? You won't find that quote, because I didn't say it and it wouldn't be relevant. My point is, the only reason that the D1 is relevant now is because it can load ROMs and it's less than 2 years old. There is zero (yes, zero) chance that in 5 years I'm going to come to droidforums.net and see the latest D1 "Android Apple Pie Honeycomb Devil's Food Cake Jello Android 6.8" ROM. it's not going to happen. The d1 has current relevance because it's easy to ROM. It would be a forgotten phone if it had a locked bootloader, and it will not have as huge a following in 5 years (most probably sooner as more people begin to upgrade).

That's what's going to happen to the X. It has a locked bootloader, it's not going to be bypassed and if we want to get hypothetical and say that it will be bypassed, it will be an irrelevant phone. Again, it'll be like porting android to a startac. Yes, people will say "cool", but no one is going to care about the X. It's not suddenly going to get a surge of following with custom ROMs being cranked out nonstop for years.

When I called the D1 a dinosaur I'm talking about hardware, not software. The D1 remains relevant because it can still run the latest software, because of it's unlocked bootloader. The X can't run the latest software, and it's hardware is going to be obsolete soon with the dual cores coming out and the 4g phones. As people begin to upgrade, the X will be forgotten. The D1 remains relevant because if Google releases Jello Pudding Pop tomorrow, I can have it on my D1 by next week (provided there are no hardware limitations). If the D1 had a locked bootloader and people were struggling to unlock or bypass it, there is no way anyone would even attempt to make these so called "custom" ROMs for it, because it would be completely obsolete. The X would be the "dev" phone not the D1 if both had locked bootloaders.

I am in no way suggesting that the D1 will be the king of development phones in 5 years, or that it's going to stay relevant forever. That's ridiculous. I'm talking about the present.

Konceptz804

Reaction score
somebody please correct me if I'm wrong,but wasn't the droid x's bootloader locked?

It's still locked. Devs are trying to find a workaround to load custom kernels on the phone, to update their OS version. They haven't found a way to do this, and I don't believe they will.

But is it really that big of a deal seeing that we still have custom roms, root, and etc?

droidxchat

Reaction score
I can tell you still dont understand what I'm saying from this:

That's what's going to happen to the X. It has a locked bootloader, it's not going to be bypassed and if we want to get hypothetical and say that it will be bypassed, it will be an irrelevant phone. Again, it'll be like porting android to a startac. Yes, people will say "cool", but no one is going to care about the X. It's not suddenly going to get a surge of following with custom ROMs being cranked out nonstop for years.

I'll say again.... I'm not talking about the plausibility of it being bypassed. I'm talking about YOUR OWN prediction of what would happen if it were bypassed. The outcome. Not how possible it is to produce the outcome.

Again... The d1 is still relevant a has a huge amount of traffic because bootloader isn't a problem, despite it being a "dinosaur". I understand that you think the DX won't even be bypassed, and I'm not referring to that, I'm referring to what you said would happen if it WERE bypassed. You said it would merely be an "oh cool" type of thing because it would be too old. Well the d1 is old (by your own words, a "dinosaur in the android world"), why would the outcome for the DX be any different....

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
I can tell you still dont understand what I'm saying from this:

I'll say again.... I'm not talking about the plausibility of it being bypassed. I'm talking about YOUR OWN prediction of what would happen if it were bypassed. The outcome. Not how possible it is to produce the outcome.

Again... The d1 is still relevant a has a huge amount of traffic because bootloader isn't a problem, despite it being a "dinosaur". I understand that you think the DX won't even be bypassed, and I'm not referring to that, I'm referring to what you said would happen if it WERE bypassed. You said it would merely be an "oh cool" type of thing because it would be too old. Well the d1 is old (by your own words, a "dinosaur in the android world"), why would the outcome for the DX be any different....

Haha...because the d1 didn't have to be bypassed and unlocked and kexecd! Why else? Can you honestly say that if both the d1 and dx had locked bootloaders and a bypass for both was found today that the d1 would be the more popular phone? Of course not. That's what I'm saying. If the dx is bypassed no one will care because it won't be the latest phone that everyone has. I don't know why this is so difficult to understand? The d1 is popular because it never needed a workaround. If the dx was unlocked from the beginning and the d1 wasn't it would be the same thing. If a dev came out and said today "I unlocked the d1!!!" Is everyone going to abandon their already unlocked dxs for a d1?

EDIT: BTW, when and if it's bypassed is relevant even if you say it's not. If the DX is bypassed today, yes it will be relevant because it's probably the best phone that's out now (in my opinion). If it's bypassed next year, not so much. Devs will eventually move on, as will users. Same goes for the D1. It's relevant today, it won't be in 5 years even though it has a unlocked bootloader.

Sent from my Droid

Last edited:

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
somebody please correct me if I'm wrong,but wasn't the droid x's bootloader locked?

It's still locked. Devs are trying to find a workaround to load custom kernels on the phone, to update their OS version. They haven't found a way to do this, and I don't believe they will.

But is it really that big of a deal seeing that we still have custom roms, root, and etc?

Depends. If you don't mind not having the ability to change your android version its' really not big a deal...

droidxchat

Reaction score
Haha...because the d1 didn't have to be bypassed and unlocked and kexecd! Why else? Can you honestly say that if both the d1 and dx had locked bootloaders and a bypass for both was found today that the d1 would be the more popular phone? Of course not. That's what I'm saying. If the dx is bypassed no one will care because it won't be the latest phone that everyone has. I don't know why this is so difficult to understand? The d1 is popular because it never needed a workaround. If the dx was unlocked from the beginning and the d1 wasn't it would be the same thing. If a dev came out and said today "I unlocked the d1!!!" Is everyone going to abandon their already unlocked dxs for a d1?

Sent from my Droid

It was so difficult to understand because you clearly didn't understand my argument until now, and this is your first attempt at a response to what I was saying rather than what you THOUGHT I was saying.

But... seriously? Your argument that no one would care about the DX being bootloader-bypassed is that

a) It's not the latest phone, and cant be compared to the D1 because the d1 started out without a bootloader problem where the DX did not.

and

b) if both the d1 and DX got bypassed today, people would stick to their DXs

Let's take (a) first. Again, the D1 isn't the latest phone by any means, but its bootloader isn't a problem, and that makes people still love it despite it being a "dinosaur" by your own admission. Given this as a historical example, the DX would be "relevant" even with age should it be bypassed. But then you say that the D1 started out bootloader bypassed, where the DX did not. My response to that is a request for you to send me the name of the company you must know about that offers 7 month contracts, because I would loveee to sign up. Somehow you seem to think that a significant number of people have already ditched their Droid X's for the latest phone, having had the DX for less than 7 months....

I don't know what you're trying to say with (b) honestly, I dont even think I need to respond to that because its really just offtopic. Yes? I agree? People would stick to their DX? This is an argument for you how....?

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
Seeing how this little squabble is going nowhere I'm closing this thread down.

Status
Not open for further replies.