Who has Droid X Gingerbread and why don't I?

Status
Not open for further replies.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
Notice I said bypass, not unlock.
Follow the developments at FreeMyMoto.com, and follow palmeecurling, aliasxerog, jaxidian, and FreeMyMoto on twitter to stay updated on our progress. The kexec module works, initx is under development as we speak, and driver writing is under way, though we could use some help on that front.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

I believe birdman, before he quit, said writing the drivers are pointless. I forget the reason though. I don't see a bypass happening either. The phone is going to be even more obsolete then it already is by the time a workaround happens. I don't see a workaround happening though. The x is a great phone. But it's almost done as far as being relevant (if it's not done already)

Sent from my Droid

I know little about his attempts but our kexec module works. We need drivers (which are going to be difficult to write) to have a kernel that works. Aliasxerog has tested this method, and has had successful boots (kexec'd to stock for testing)

Yeah it was something about radios or something. Not positive. The point is the phones already eol, people are going to upgrade or have already. If it happens, which I don't think it will, it'll be just an "oh that's cool" type of thing. I think its an exercise in futility...

Sent from my Droid

PalmerCurling

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
We are writing drivers from scratch, using the existing ones on the stock kernel as a note-base. Yes the phone is rapidly approaching eol, but if the kexec works the dev community would be able to keep it fully updated. And like I said, its portable to other bootloader-locked phones.
The d1 has been replaced by the d2 and upcoming d3 yet still has a huge dev base

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yes the phone may be obsolete but thus project cab be ported to many phones, and I don't know about you but I'm stuck with my dx for another 20 or so months

Can it be ported though? There is no working fix yet, so saying it can be ported is a little premature I think. Hardware and software changes can render the x progress obsolete. It's not going to be as simple as "it works for the x so it'll work for every phone." Further, if a workaround is found, motorola will patch it in their future phones. It's a good side project I guess but not anything viable or beneficial, except for the people who plan to stick with the x for two full years. Chances are many people will not have an x in two years...

Sent from my Droid

PalmerCurling

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Drivers are needed for all phones. In theory, it will work for any phone as long as its compiled properly.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
We are writing drivers from scratch, using the existing ones on the stock kernel as a note-base. Yes the phone is rapidly approaching eol, but if the kexec works the dev community would be able to keep it fully updated. And like I said, its portable to other bootloader-locked phones.
The d1 has been replaced by the d2 and upcoming d3 yet still has a huge dev base

The d1 has an unlocked bootloader and get new os versions as fast a dev can compile one. Sometimes as little after a week. Not so the case with the x. That's why the d1 is still relevant. If the d1 bootloader was locked, no one would care about it. It's a dinosaur in the android world haha

Sent from my Droid

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
Drivers are needed for all phones. In theory, it will work for any phone as long as its compiled properly.

But its not the same drivers for every phone, every manufacturer, every bootloader. Maybe it can be used on other moto phones but it won't be portable to a htc or samsung phone. Further, I don't see moto just sitting back and saying "congrats you did it! Now go crazy!!!" They'll undoubtedly patch or change their bootloader rendering the progress obsolete. The bootloader is a software protocol so undoubtedly it can be changed easily by moto.

Sent from my Droid

droidxchat

Reaction score

The d1 has an unlocked bootloader and get new os versions as fast a dev can compile one. Sometimes as little after a week. Not so the case with the x. That's why the d1 is still relevant. If the d1 bootloader was locked, no one would care about it. It's a dinosaur in the android world haha

Sent from my Droid

Im confused, you argued that bypassing dx bootloader is futile because it will be obsolete when it happens, but then pointed out that the d1 is a dinosaur yet has a huge following as a direct result of bootloader not being an issue...

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score

Sent from my Droid

Im confused, you argued that bypassing dx bootloader is futile because it will be obsolete when it happens, but then pointed out that the d1 is a dinosaur yet has a huge following as a direct result of bootloader not being an issue...

Wrong. I'm arguing that the droid1 has a huge following because it has an unlocked bootloader and there won't be a workaround for the x. all a dev has to do is compile from source to change the d1s os version. Clearly its not that easy on the x.

Sent from my Droid

droidxchat

Reaction score

Sent from my Droid

Wrong. I'm arguing that the droid1 has a huge following because it has an unlocked bootloader and there won't be a workaround for the x. all a dev has to do is compile from source to change the d1s os version. Clearly its not that easy on the x.

Sent from my Droid

No... You said (regarding x bootloader being bypassed), if it happens, it will just be an oh that's cool type of thing. Then you pointed out that the d1 has such a huge following as a direct result of the bootloader not being a problem, despite its age... No offense but its more than just a little contradictory.

Konceptz804

Reaction score
somebody please correct me if I'm wrong,but wasn't the droid x's bootloader locked?

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score

Sent from my Droid

No... You said (regarding x bootloader being bypassed), if it happens, it will just be an oh that's cool type of thing, and its an exercise in futility because it will be eol. Then you pointed out that the d1 has such a huge following as a direct result of the bootloader not being a problem, despite its age...

I think what I'm saying is pretty clear. I've been saying since the beginning of time that the droid x bootloader is not going to be bypassed. We can argue about what you think I'm saying if you'd like haha, but I know what I'm saying. It's a good pipe dream but it's not going to happen. Every time I've said "if", I've also said "but it's not going to". It'll be an "oh cool" type of thing simply because of how difficult it will be to do it, and the fact that the phone is going to be old news. Again...it's not going to happen.

Put it this way, if a dev announces tomorrow that he has ported android onto the motorola startac, is everyone going to run out and buy startacs en masse? (I know this is an extreme and stupid example, but that's all it is). The X will be obsolete long before any bypass is found. No one is going to care about the X. The D1 doesn't have that problem. It can run custom roms now, and it can update its OS version now. In 5 years, do you think the D1 following will be as huge? No way. There will still be devs out there putting out roms, and themes, but like the G1 it won't be half of VZW subscribers holding onto their D1s...

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
somebody please correct me if I'm wrong,but wasn't the droid x's bootloader locked?

It's still locked. Devs are trying to find a workaround to load custom kernels on the phone, to update their OS version. They haven't found a way to do this, and I don't believe they will.

ClumsyNinja21

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
I'll have my x for 2 years.....I'm not one who can afford a new phinevat retail or even at 1 year pricing with these new price hikes. So I applaud the effort and think it is in fact relevant. I would say u r off base by predicting most wont have an x in 2 years. No NE2. No discounted pricing. I respect your opinions however I myself disagree.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'll have my x for 2 years.....I'm not one who can afford a new phinevat retail or even at 1 year pricing with these new price hikes. So I applaud the effort and think it is in fact relevant. I would say u r off base by predicting most wont have an x in 2 years. No NE2. No discounted pricing. I respect your opinions however I myself disagree.

Well this is true. I forgot about the NE2 thing. Maybe more people will have it then I thought. If it happens, it'll be great for those people without a doubt. I just don't see it happening, there are far too many barriers in the way. Writing drivers is not the end all be all for this...

ClumsyNinja21

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Agreed that I think there will be obstacles beyond driver base but I couldn't begin to say what. I think maybe getting devs to include this kexec and init process in a rom may be one hurdle...but I don't know. Im excited to see tho.

Status
Not open for further replies.