Who else HATES the new google navigatior?

Fault

Reaction score
So today my gf was at work, and was really sick, so playing pharmacist, I went and dropped off some medication while I was on my way to the rite aid where I work. Her work is sort of out of the way, so I opened google maps for directions. I used the navigator, and was instantly furious. I HATE the new navigator. It doesn't 'follow' behind you, like a helicopter following ur car. Instead its like looking at the map, and the spot where u are just keeps moving. So if u are moving south, u are moving downward on the phone. This makes it REDICULOUS for things like multiple round abouts, which are hard enough as is. Anyone know how to get the old navigator back?

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Haven't used it yet since the update but I can't imagine that they would remove the follow me map view while navigating. Sounds like something's wrong or you're overlooking something. Ii'll have to try this out later. The only thing I can think of off the top of my head is that if GPS is unable to obtain a fix you'll have a blue circle around where it thinks you're located (the circle is supposed to indicate margin of error) and it will revert to the overhead map.

Last edited:

porsche996

Reaction score
I haven't tested the navigator since the update, but just opened it up to see what you're talking about... Yep, I got the same thing you described, and yep, I hate it. I liked having navigation look like a regular car gps setup, like it was before this update.

However, I'm at work and it couldn't get a GPS fix, so I'm hoping once it gets a fix and I'm moving it'll flip to the good 'ol screen I'm used to. Otherwise I'll be uninstalling the update. Here's to hoping!

brochaos

Reaction score
hmm, navi worked fine for me on my trip last weekend. just like it always has...

lindel

Reaction score
I used it just this week, and it looked just like it did before. I didn't notice anything out of the ordinary.

porsche996

Reaction score
**update**

When I'm sitting stationary, I get what the OP said (as noted in my last post). But, as soon as I'm moving and on a road that's on the map, it goes back to what it always looked like, so I'm good to go.

wkearney99

Reaction score
I haven't dug into it but I noticed something wasn't the same, and not in a good way. What irritated me was the disappearance of the blue 'your location' triangle. I was browsing around the map, looking for an alternative around a traffic jam, and couldn't get back to my location, at least not as easily as 'before'.

porsche996

Reaction score
I haven't dug into it but I noticed something wasn't the same, and not in a good way. What irritated me was the disappearance of the blue 'your location' triangle. I was browsing around the map, looking for an alternative around a traffic jam, and couldn't get back to my location, at least not as easily as 'before'.

Yeah, I miss the little blue button, too. It's up on the top right corner, now; it's a grayed solid circle inside another circle w/ the 4 points of the compass on it. I *guess* it's a "compass" icon, but I wish it were just a big blue dot so it'd stand out better and be consistent with the past!!

medinauta

Reaction score
Seems like the OP is confussing Google Maps with Google Navigator.

Google Maps: Will always show the north on top, will show your current position when you tap on the "compass" icon located at the right top corner (as he described it).

Google Navigator: Will show you the "helicopter view" when you are moving, also, open Navigator and tap the "map" icon to show the map in front of you without entering a destination. The blue triangle will show when you browse the map in order to return to your actual position.

Last edited: