Who carries their Droid naked? How has it held up (scratches)

sdrawkcabton88

Reaction score
Mine has been naked for a month now, but I'm very careful with my electronics. No scratches or dents. I usually keep it in my pocket with the glass facing my leg just in case anything hits it from the outside (I'd rather risk the back/battery than the screen).

One thing I've noticed: Does anyone else get dust in the ear speaker? The thin opening above "Motorola" on the front of the phone. I've tried using a cotton swab to clean it but there's still dust in there. It doesn't impact the call quality, but it's just annoying to see it.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
^ I get the lint and dust in there too... I've seen some people have used 'canned air' and have wound up with pieces stuck under their screen so that option is out for me. I usually just give it a lil blow, like blowing out a candle, or I use an exact-o knife and pick the pieces out.

inevittable

Reaction score
My Droid has been mostly naked for about two months now, save for the screen protector I have on it. I've had no problems even with a few drops and bangs, seems to be built really well. I also seem to be collecting some dust/lint in my speaker, but guess that's just something we'll have to live with.

johfiner

Reaction score
I'm glad to read this thread; I've only had the phone for six days but so far I have no protection. I'm getting a replacement in a few days due to a dead pixel and I think I'll buy a screen protector after that.
I do tend to beat the hell out of my electronics, but I really don't want to add anything bulky to the device, so the screen protector will be the only thing I add. Also, I've got insurance, so when I inevitably manage to break it, I won't be terribly upset.

romangreen23

Reaction score
Naked carrier here. No scratches or dents yet, I love how they built this device. and the screen is simply gorgeous and durable. scratch-resistant. Had the phone for about 3 weeks now.

UCEizWiLD

Reaction score
mine is naked, and so far so good. about to get something to protect it on payday

shademar

Reaction score
VZW screen protector, otherwise nekkid (except for a sticker). Holding up great so far. I also use the seido holster clip (but not case) for day-to-day use, which is still pretty protective compared to a pocket, and prevents spills out of pockets. I'm operating under the theory that: a; chicks with large phones clipped to their belt dont look as geeky as guys do and b; it's a lost cause because I work in a lab anyways. :D

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
the dust in the earpiece is very annnoying.

what i do is roll up a piece of tape and use a thin screwdriver. works pretty well if you ask me, just gotta be patient and careful not to scratch the area around it.

HeroNova

Reaction score
Naked and a belt clip. One little ding on the battery door from a fall off my lap (was sitting in the car) on to concrete. Barely noticeable though.

Berzerker

Reaction score
Had the phone for over a month. Naked the whole time with a belt clip. Survived 5 drops from a top bunk about 7' high onto straight tile. No screen scratches or dents. Only a slightly scratch on the bezel, nothing major. It's completely fine.

ness180

Reaction score
I've had my Droid for about 2 weeks now and have been carrying it naked. So far I've noticed to little scratches on the sides of the touch screen part of the phone. The scratches are minuscule and I wouldn't define them as such but more so as very tiny spots where the black paint is gone.

Really have no clue what did it. I carry it in my front jean pocket and when it comes to this phone I'm extremely careful and delicate with it. But I'm rather OCD when I start noticing such things and every time I look at the phone I zoom in right on the tiny spots. Also the same with dust and lint being collected in the speaker and in the seam of the touch screen and the frame surrounding the touch screen. Drives me crazy lol.

So I decided to get a Seidio case. I don't want any more little chip spots appearing!

justbob

Reaction score
I've only had my phone since Dec 23, but I carry mine naked as well. I usually keep the phone in my shirt pocket all by itself and so far, so good. I might look at getting a holster some time in the future, but for now, my pocket works just fine.

actrack03

Reaction score
I have a Zagg screen protector on just to be safe but no case because I use the car dock while driving. While other phones have suffered cosmetic scratches around the body of the phone under the same conditions, the Droid seems to be scratch free. I used to use Verizon screen protectors on my Storm and had to replace them almost once a month because of excessive wear but the one I have on my Droid is amazingly durable and has absolutely no bubbles underneath it!

imiller913

Reaction score
I had the shell case holster combo from vzw but took that off after a couple days now naked, and just use the holster from vzw and I don't have a scratch on it at all anywhere!

normwerner

Reaction score
I've had mine since day one. I bought a clip-on case (an Eddie Bauer model at Best Buy) the same day and it rides there (and yes it does have a magnetic flap closure and yes it does occasionally fool the Droid into thnking it is in the car dock). I bought a screen shield (one of those that claims to be scratch-proof) and I have insurance. It occasionally gets carried in my front pocket. A few very minor scratches on the back of the case, but otherwise it's holding up well.

Norm
:motdroidhoriz: