Who Bought a DROID in 2009 and used their annual upgrade already

neilrl79

Reaction score
I did one of the "upgrade early for the 2 year price if you get a smartphone" deal. Got the Droid1...2 year upgrade doesnt come back around until November 2011...so ill be getting whatever Motorola droid is out then... Droid 4 perhaps haha

I did the early upgrade to a smartphone Dec. 2 2009 and a VZW rep told me I'm eligible for "an early upgrade" on Dec 5 2010. Don't really have any plans on upgrading tho, nothing available right now that apeals to me.

Droid101

Reaction score
I am due 11/6 and am just waiting for a 4G motorola Droid. Thats all it will take to get me to switch:). Until then my Droid 1 is still kicking

ABQNM

Reaction score
I typically replace my phones multiple times per year. Not since 2004 have I kept one phone model for more than 6 months. Even back then, I was still changing at least every 9 months. So to have my Droid for almost a year now, that is very surprising. It just does everything I need. Yes it could use more memory and a speed boost would help, but overclocked at 1.1GHz for the last 8 months, it really isn't slow.

The D2WE looks somewhat promising with 1.2GHz, but until I know which OMAP is in it and have real world tests, I cannot call it.

I love Motorola's Droids for Verizon. I believe they are the best devices Moto has ever built (save for locked bootloader on newer ones), but I might actually consider the HTC Merge. Basically the same hardware as the T-Mobile G2, which screams.

So for now, I will actually sit back and let the new phones roll out for a bit to see what happens. Now when a Tegra2 Moto actually comes out, all bets are off and eligible or not, I will be upgrading.

Reaction score
How does one get an annual upgrade? I've never seen anything on verizon's site about an annual upgrade...just my new every two that doesnt come up until october 2011.

ABQNM

Reaction score
How does one get an annual upgrade? I've never seen anything on verizon's site about an annual upgrade...just my new every two that doesnt come up until october 2011.

If you are 12 months (10 months for certain 1 year contracts or monthly spending) into your contract, call Verizon and ask them. Or if you use my account online, it will tell you when you log in by showing a status bar how long you must wait until you can upgrade. It will show the NE2 in the bar, but it will show below it when you are eligible for an annual upgrade.

Reaction score

If you are 12 months (10 months for certain 1 year contracts or monthly spending) into your contract, call Verizon and ask them. Or if you use my account online, it will tell you when you log in by showing a status bar how long you must wait until you can upgrade. It will show the NE2 in the bar, but it will show below it when you are eligible for an annual upgrade.

I have a two year contract. It's the $39.99/month plan...if that makes any difference. I dont see anything about an upgrade other than the NE2 on October 1st, 2011.

beargold23

Reaction score
May take a look at the HTC Merge, and Droid 2 world. Really wish there was some news on a LTE phone with a physical keyboard. dancedroid

beargold23

Reaction score

I have a two year contract. It's the $39.99/month plan...if that makes any difference. I dont see anything about an upgrade other than the NE2 on October 1st, 2011.

You have to have a plan 59.99 or higher to do annual upgrade

Abby Normal

Reaction score

Tells me I got 10 months to go for NE 2 but nothing mentioned about an upgrade:icon_evil:

My wife on the other was available for upgrade discounts 9/6/2010

But to be honest there isn't anything out there I would go for right now, so my Droid 1 is still my best friend...dancedroid

Reaction score

You have to have a plan 59.99 or higher to do annual upgrade
Well crap...so much for that. I guess I'll just wait til my NE2 comes.

Reaction score
Early upgrade

I originally was a Droid 1 owner, then with my early upgrade i got a droid x, it was a great phone but I hated the hard physical buttons plus after doing some research i found out the fascinate has way better software so i decided to swap it for the fascinate and i couldn't be happier except that I still don't have Froyo in it but i know we will be getting it pretty soon, this phone is already faster than all the droid phones already so i can't imagine how amamazing will be after Froyo!

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Well crap...so much for that. I guess I'll just wait til my NE2 comes.

I'm pretty sure you can still take an early NE2, they'll just tack on an additional 2 years to the end of your contract.

At least, that's one option I'll pursue. I've been on the unlimited minutes plan for probably over half of this year, and probably back on it again soon. So that's the other argument I'll make.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
The reason that Apple is so far ahead in resolution is because the current version of Android doesn't support a resolution higher than what the Droid has from what I understand.

I wonder about that. They say the human eye actually can't tell the difference between 720P and 1080p at over 10 feet or so, and that's on a big screen tv. Well, a 50" bigscreen at 10 feet seems comparable to a 4" screen at 1 foot.

The image on my 'ol Droid is pretty darn sharp and vibrant. Not sure I'd actually notice a difference unless I stared at both side-by-side.

patfactorx

Reaction score
why would you upgrade right now? What is better than a D1? We get 2.3 before anyone else...