WhitePages to Go with Android First with New App; Apple's Approval Process Too Long

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
localicious.png

The phone and address websearch database company, The WhitePages, has reportedly decided to go with Android before iOS for their new mobile app. The company, which has over 30 million unique monthly visitors and over 2 billions searches for 1500 websites, is getting ready to launch their new Localicious app on Wednesday, and they are bringing it to Android first. From what the company's spokesperson indicated, the app has been sitting on Apple's desk for over two months, so they got fed up and decided to just release the app to Android first. Originally, they were going to try to coordinate their release for better marketing; however, Kevin Nakao, WhitePages COO, indicated that it takes a lot of planning with deadlines to launch it to the public. He further said, “Since apps can still get tied up in the iOS approval process, it makes this marketing planning almost impossible.”

The app actually sounds pretty useful. The application lets you find your local listings by neighborhoods instead of using your geographic location. Here are its predominant features:
  • Find the places you’re looking for fast with laser-focused neighborhood search.
  • Auto detects your neighborhood to show the best popular businesses nearby.
  • Realtime tips and hot spot alerts keep you updated on what’s happening in your ‘hood.
  • Tap to map another neighborhood and explore across town or across the country.
  • Foursquare users can pre check-in before arriving – just set it and forget it!
The app is already available on the Android Market for free. Check it out and then let us know what you think of it in the forums.

Source: Android.net via DroidMatters and The Android Market

jayman350

Reaction score
Just another nail in Apple's coffin.

I highly doubt that iOS not getting this first is going to hurt apple. If this is the trend of things to come, where android gets the new stuff first, then that will bruise a couple of egos, but won't really do anything to sales.

cush2push

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score

I highly doubt that iOS not getting this first is going to hurt apple. If this is the trend of things to come, where android gets the new stuff first, then that will bruise a couple of egos, but won't really do anything to sales.

think that he was pointing out that if it takes forever for ios to approve apps dev's will stop making them for ios and start making them for android or microsoft or blackberry since their approval process is far less time consuming

napjester

Reaction score

think that he was pointing out that if it takes forever for ios to approve apps dev's will stop making them for ios and start making them for android or microsoft or blackberry since their approval process is far less time consuming

That would be stupid on a develpoers part to not release their apps on iOS. The point is the devs should release their products on the platform that's ready at that time. Apple will get it 2-3 months later but they will get it because that's more money for the devs.

cush2push

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score

That would be stupid on a develpoers part to not release their apps on iOS. The point is the devs should release their products on the platform that's ready at that time. Apple will get it 2-3 months later but they will get it because that's more money for the devs.

i know if i made something and apple took 3 months to decide on it i wouldnt do it 3 months is stupid and money isn't king to some people

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score

i know if i made something and apple took 3 months to decide on it i wouldnt do it 3 months is stupid and money isn't king to some people

i think its a safe bet its probably king to most developers haha. If you want app revenue you use iOS, that's been proven time and again. Android users simply dont buy apps and devs make barely any money on apps (I'm talking independent devs).

this is a good thing for android, but its not going to hurt ios at all, nor are devs going to mass exodus iOS in favor of android.

OneTenderRebel

Silver Member
Reaction score

i think its a safe bet its probably king to most developers haha. If you want app revenue you use iOS, that's been proven time and again. Android users simply dont buy apps and devs make barely any money on apps (I'm talking independent devs).

this is a good thing for android, but its not going to hurt ios at all, nor are devs going to mass exodus iOS in favor of android.

I think delusion is king around here

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score

I think delusion is king around here

haha well yes, but thats a story for another day