White LED of death on a rooted phone--can I get a warranty/insurance replacement?

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
I agree with you 100%...that was not my intention. He did nothing illegal by rooting his phone and rooting most likely didn't cause the problem. Returning the phone, if he doesn't pursue FoxKats process of trying to recover the phone which is where I was going in the first place, doesn't constitute fraud. If he had purchased insurance and stated he was submitting an insurance claim for something not allowed (rooting) under that coverage then he would be committing insurance fraud. In this case if Verizon discovers the phone to be rooted...and they will if they try to recover the phone, then they will determine he voided the warranty and the OP will most likely be getting a bill for repairs.

JP, I don't think that Vulcan's reply was directed at you. There was another member who made a comment that was subsequently deleted and before your comment, which in effect suggested fraud. I believe Vulcan's response was toward that member and anyone else considering such.

I agree that rooting didn't likely cause the issues he's experiencing, and even flashing a custom ROM may not be the cause, but now that the "leaked .215" ROM is on the phone and he can't get it to boot in order to flash it back to stock, he's risking the phone booting for the technicians, seeing it has an unofficial ROM and then suffering the repair bill.

Quote "It's rooted and flashed to the leaked 215 version".

jpcalhoun

Reaction score
JP, I don't think that Vulcan's reply was directed at you. There was another member who made a comment that was subsequently deleted and before your comment, which in effect suggested fraud. I believe Vulcan's response was toward that member and anyone else considering such.

I agree that rooting didn't likely cause the issues he's experiencing, and even flashing a custom ROM may not be the cause, but now that the "leaked .215" ROM is on the phone and he can't get it to boot in order to flash it back to stock, he's risking the phone booting for the technicians, seeing it has an unofficial ROM and then suffering the repair bill.

Quote "It's rooted and flashed to the leaked 215 version".

Thanks FoxKat I didn't think he was directing his comment at me, just the group in general.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Cool, just making sure... :D

OP
B

Byzantium

Reaction score
Hi guys. Thanks so much for all the amazing responses. I don't frequent the board, so tonight's actually the first time I've read the responses which were posted after my last post--I decided to send the phone in 'as-is' and hope for the best.

I never got a phone call, email or a bill.

I feel the way most in this thread seem to feel about the warranty issue. Yes, I had technically voided my warranty; no, the hardware failure was almost certainly not related to the fact that I'd rooted and flashed to 215.

So I don't feel bad about getting a warranty replacement.

Once again, thanks to all. If someone else gets the 'White LED of Death' on his/her rooted phone, maybe this thread can be of use.

Off topic, I can't wait until I can upgrade to a different phone. My dead phone and my new replacement both have the same crappy wifi radio. I can't hold the thing upright in my right hand (thumb resting on the power/volume buttons) without losing two wifi bars, often interrupting data transfer.