White LED, Nothing Else...

tomfort

Reaction score
Bought a used Droid over Ebay recently. Looks to be mint aside from a couple of minor scratches on the paint.

I've used it 3 weeks now with zero issues. A few days ago, I rooted it and installed BB V0.5. Again, zero issues, aside from wifi flakynes that I'm confident could have been fixed. Yesterday it got low on battery (pretty sure it didn't completely run out, ~5%) so I plugged it in. When I got it from the charger and tried to turn it on: Nothing. No reaction at all.

Tried charging it for longer to see if that would help. Noticed the white LED turned on when I plugged it in, but when I tried it a couple hours later, still nothing. I tried leaving the battery out of the phone over night, but again, nothing. x+power also makes no difference.

So, am I completely SOL, or is there anything else I can try?

Bob Dammit

Super Moderator
Reaction score
If you know someone else with a droid, try to borrow their battery and see if that helps. Ill bet it is a kernel issue (I just had one when I rooted one last weekend). Worst case scenario, take your battery to verizon and ask if they will charge it for you. Sounds crazy, but other people have had luck getting verizion to charge their battery.

OP
T

tomfort

Reaction score
Thank you for your reply, Bob.

Don't think I know anyone else with a Droid, and I'm in Canada, so I can't really take it to Verizon. I guess I could take it to Bell, but I'm currently at college without a car.

If it's the difference between a phone and no phone, I'll bus my way there, or ask a friend for a ride, but is that literally they only thing that has ever fixed Droids in this condition?

Is the theory that the white LED is lying, and the battery really isn't charging, or that being charged by a different charger will "reset" the battery?

OP
T

tomfort

Reaction score
Well, colour me surprised. I found an USB charging cable from an old Samsung phone, plugged it in, and got the white "M" right away. I honestly never would have suspected that.

Does anyone know what triggers this? I was using a Nokia USB cable plugged into a computer for charging. It worked perfectly for at least a dozen charges. Then it bricked my Droid. Switching to a Samsung cable that plugs into the wall magically fixed it.

Is there likely something physically wrong with the Nokia cable (frayed/crossed wires)? Or a problem with my Droid?