White HTC screen Help

Kurtis

Reaction score
Hello all - Today when i was at work, i used my phone to update to ICS. I had an unlocked bootloader, and was rooted. This was a bad idea! The update would not apply to the phone and i kept getting an error. My co-worker then says that he had the same issue, and this is what he did. He went in the amon-ra recovery and went to wipe. then he went through all of the options, and wiped everything. My gut feeling was to tell him no, because it just sounded like a terrible idea, but i let him continue. Now my phone appears to be broken. I can enter the Amon-ra recovery with no problems, but if i try to turn the phone on regularly, im just stuck at the HTC white screen of death. The bootloader is still unlocked however. What needs to be done to get my phone back to stock, or if easier, back to the rooted 2.3.4 version i had before all this happened. Reading through some posts, i started downloading the PH file that was recommended, but people are saying that the bootloader needs to be locked. Since im not able to start my phone, how can i re-lock it? Any help would be awesome, as i am very noob at this kinda stuff, and tend not to ask for help until its too late.

HowardZ

Reaction score
you need to connect your phone to a pc via the USB cable.

you need to flash the stock Gingerbread recovery.

afterwards, you need to lock the bootloader - unless you have s-off. With s-off it doesn't matter if the bootloader is locked or unlocked.

on xda forums you will find hansoon's all in one toolkit which might help.

HowardZ

Reaction score
Here is my copy of the stock Gingerbread recovery: http://db.tt/7X1BdpgR

The fastboot commands are:
fastboot flash recovery recovery_signed.img
fastboot reboot

the "fastboot reboot" is important, do not skip it.

HowardZ

Reaction score
You probably should download the ICS RUU zip file to perform the update, because the OTA assumes you have a stock Gingerbread system installed, and I don't know what you have installed. I suspect your co-worker wiped your system partition and you have no android operating system at all.

You can download the RUU zip file for the HTC/Verizon official ICS here:

[Exclusive Download] HTC Rezound Ice Cream Sandwich RUU For Final OTA (3.14.605.12)

This should hopefully install everything. The RUU zip file is double the size of the OTA because the OTA has only files which need to change for the upgrade from Gingerbread to IceCreamSandwich. The RUU zip file has everything in it, and *I think* it only requires the stock recovery be installed and the bootloader locked.

Last edited:
OP
K

Kurtis

Reaction score
OK, so once I flash the gingerbread recovery, I'm assuming download it, and then add it to my SD card, not in any folders, and flash it from there. Once that's done, how do I do the fastboot stuff? Is that done from my phone or from the computer? And still connect it to the computer even though the phone won't power on all the way? Thanks for the responses!

HowardZ

Reaction score
OK, so once I flash the gingerbread recovery, I'm assuming download it, and then add it to my SD card, not in any folders, and flash it from there. Once that's done, how do I do the fastboot stuff? Is that done from my phone or from the computer? And still connect it to the computer even though the phone won't power on all the way? Thanks for the responses!

No.
the stock Gingerbread recovery file is downloaded to your pc, and is installed onto the phone by typing the fastboot commands in a dos-like cmd window. And the current directory needs to contain the recovery IMG file along with the files needed for fastboot command to work.

Hansoon's all in one toolkit has the
o HTC drivers for your pc
o the necessary files to perform adb and fastboot commands in a dos-like cmd window on the pc
o A program with easy click to perform certain functions. but, flashing the stock recovery isn't on its list of functions. "relock bootloader" is one of its functions.

Looks like you have some reading and learning to do before you can use your phone again.

Last edited:
OP
K

Kurtis

Reaction score
ok - So i downloaded Hansoon's toolkit, which was helpful installing the drivers for my phone. I also downloaded the fasboot folder that has the 4 files included with ADB. I seem to be hitting a wall here. I shift right click inside the folder and open my CMD window, while my phone is attatched and in fastboot. in the cmd window, i type fastboot devices and i get my random string of numbers below the first line. So i know that the phone is recognized, and the correct drivers are installed. I then type fastboot flash recovery recovery_signed.img and cmd prompt tells me that it cant run the file. am i doing something wrong at this point? It seems like i did the correct steps.

Last edited:
OP
K

Kurtis

Reaction score
Sweet! problem solved! I relocked the bootloader in fastboot, and then loaded the RUU file onto my sd card, and started the phone back up into the bootloader. The file renamed PH38IMG, auto ran once, restarted the phone and then i ran it again and it installed everything. You were right, i had no opperating system on my phone at all. Phone works like a champ running ICS.

HowardZ

Reaction score
Good for you.

I am wondering if you installed the stock recovery before doing the ruu zip file?

I am not certain if the stock recovery is mandatory before the ruu.

OP
K

Kurtis

Reaction score
It actually was not, whenever i tried loading the stock recovery in fastboot, i couldnt get it to go. I had Amon ra installed, and relocked the bootloader with the fastboot prompt. then i renamed the file i downloaded on the computer PH38IMG. I then ran that twice from the fastboot screen on my phone and it worked. :)

HowardZ

Reaction score
I think you mean PH98IMG.zip

you should either delete this file now, or rename it. on my sd card I renamed it to be ics_PH98IMG.zip

Ok, I have read that the OTA requires stock recovery. It's good to know that ruu does not require it.

Last edited:
OP
K

Kurtis

Reaction score
No, actually my phone would not run it when the file was named PH38IMG.zip for some reason, so i just named it PH38IMG, and placed it in the root of my SD card and it started then.