Which US carrier will be the first to offer true 5G to the market.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
5G.jpg

After reading an article I began to remember the transition from 3G to LTE and the ride that changed the way we use our devices. Though Verizon was the first to get LTE launched successfully across the nation MetroPCS was first to launch LTE. Since then, despite MetroPCS being first, we view Verizon at being at the top as far as LTE coverage and reliability followed by AT&T. As we continue to move forward with technology we are knocking on the door to 5G.

Which US carrier will be first to true 5g?

Which US carrier will be first to launch true 5g across the nation?

source: 4G and 5G wireless How they are alike and how they differ

Note: From many of the articles that I have read LTE- Advance is not 5g, at least not by what is defined by the ITU.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Sprint will be first and they'll add it to a cell in San Francisco, 1 in Chicago and another in New York followed by commercials stating 5G across the country. Remember when they used to advertise they had the fastest network back when 3G first came out? Quietest network when digital first hit these shores?

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Heck, I remember when 3G was coming on line. Never saw it while I was on T-mobile, except when I passed through KC a few times. Moved up here with that still being the case and switched to VZW since t-mo doesn't have service here and was amazed that I had 3G on my OG moto droid.

That said, I haven't read up on 5G at all, but wonder if the carriers will play with the definition of 5G the way they have with 4. Ok...I don't really WONDER...I'm sure they will.

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Heck, I remember when 3G was coming on line. Never saw it while I was on T-mobile, except when I passed through KC a few times. Moved up here with that still being the case and switched to VZW since t-mo doesn't have service here and was amazed that I had 3G on my OG moto droid.

That said, I haven't read up on 5G at all, but wonder if the carriers will play with the definition of 5G the way they have with 4. Ok...I don't really WONDER...I'm sure they will.

I was expecting them to call LTE-A 5G.
Wasn't Samsung working on a 5G phone?
samsung5g.jpg

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I honestly can't recall. I haven't paid much attention to anything about 5G. While I wouldn't mind faster speeds, 4G works just fine for my needs and I know we'll be towards the back of the pack in my area to see any new tech. If nothing else, maybe we'll see slightly faster speeds on the 4G tech as they open up 5G areas.

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I honestly can't recall. I haven't paid much attention to anything about 5G. While I wouldn't mind faster speeds, 4G works just fine for my needs and I know we'll be towards the back of the pack in my area to see any new tech. If nothing else, maybe we'll see slightly faster speeds on the 4G tech as they open up 5G areas.

True, plus as excited as we were about the Thunderbolt (Verizon's first LTE device) that excitement fell quick with that and other LTE devices because of battery life. Are we going to face similar issues once we go to 5G?

If you want to see how crazy excited the community was about the Thunderbolt check out this thread: HTC Thunderbolt Release Date Android Forum at DroidForums.net that went 387 pages, 5796 posts, and went 3 months.

Vepaot

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G5 (LS992)
It'll be so great. I'll be able to burn all 12 gigabytes of my monthly data cap in 36 seconds!

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
All carriers still have gaps in their current coverage. They don't complete an upgraded cell tower coverage before moving on the the next latest and greatest.

I would personally prefer them to finish what they started before jumping on the new bandwagon just so that they can throw misleading coverage maps at you. The main reason I am not on Verizon is that coworkers of mine don't get service where Verizon's maps show coverage.

Caesars

Reaction score
I'm convinced unlimited data will be gone by the time all major networks will have 5g. Unless it offers some type of major voice advantage it will not matter to me .