Which ROM?

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
I'm a DroidX user and have been using ROMs for almost a year. I just got my wife a Thunderbolt and want to put a ROm on it. The primary reasons are for battery life (no 4G in the area, so not related to 4G usage) and she likes my apps. I'm using CM7 for DX and she likes the stock Android apps more than the ones HTC gives with Sense.

What would be a good ROM to try.

Also, if she decides she doesn't like it, how does one go back to 100% stock Thunderbolt?

OP
johnomaz

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL

turdbogls

Reaction score
I see an official update was supposed to be released Q2 2011 and that is just about over. Worth waiting it out? Is it an official GB release or just fixed Froyo?

no one really knows whats going on. there was a rumor going around that there will be an update on the 30th that will bring the reboot/4G issues and also Gingerbread. but if that really happens it will be amazing. as for waiting it out, i wouldn't. you would probably have to revert to the shipping OS anyway to root so may as well do it now. that is how this phone is rooted. revert to stock, root, flash newer rooted system. once the official OTA hits, it will be about a day until a debloated/zipaligned/deodexed ROM will be released. so i would just Root now while you know it is still possible.

i haven't tried many ROMs as i just got my TB about a week ago. but i am running liquid gingersense v 1.2 and really haven't run into any problems.

but if the wife likes CM7, you may want to give CM7 for TB a try. using the MR1 radio, i guess it is actually pretty solid. i haven't givin it a go yet, but i plan to when i get some time just to see what all the fuss is about.

you can also check out OMFGB as i think that is an AOSP based rom.

to get back to 100% stock i think it is just a matter of flashing the the stock RUU which can be found here;
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=975888
someone mentions using it to return to stock to get a replacement from verizon.
download, rename to PG05IMG.zip, place on root of SD card. boot into Hboot, and install.

Last edited:
OP
johnomaz

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
Thanks for the tips. I've spent almost a year with my DroidX and know it front to back and all the processes, but the TB is new and she wants what I have. too bad I can't just give her my phone and take the TB for myself =P.

turdbogls

Reaction score
Thanks for the tips. I've spent almost a year with my DroidX and know it front to back and all the processes, but the TB is new and she wants what I have. too bad I can't just give her my phone and take the TB for myself =P.

And why can't you do that..haha.
I also came from a rooted/rom'd dc so this is still new to me

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

OP
johnomaz

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
Every phone for the past 4 years I've gotten brand new and shes gotten my old one (mainly because she drops them and breaks them, but this one she didn't want to do that, and I have to live with her).

OP
johnomaz

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
Went ahead and put Das BAMF 1.8 on the phone. Wife seems to like it. Hoping the battery life is better than stock. Even without 4G on, it was quite low.