Which ROM is right for me?

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by A.Brooks, Mar 24, 2010.

1. A.Brooks

A.Brooks Member

With so many great sounding/looking ROMs out there, how do I decide which one is the right one for me? That's the problem I'm running into now is making a decision. I've decided I'm going to root, because these devs are doing far and away a better job than Moto's devs are even close to doing, it's absurd. But how do I know which one is the right one for me?

Right now I'm really looking into Chevy'sNo1 and it seems like it would be pretty solid for me. I do want to be able to customize it myself at some point, like with SweeterHome2 which was incredible for customizing. Any input would be welcomed.
  2. christim

christim DF Super Moderator Rescue Squad

It sounds like you decided. All of them work, all of them are good. Sticking with the ones with good support, like the ones in the roms section of the forum here, is a good idea. There are other roms that are well supported elsewhere too.

Read through the features offered and the instructions a few times. Any of them should let you run alternative home launchers and many have their own themes built in too.

Worst case? You decide to switch to a different rom after trying your first one. Once you've applied your first one it takes far less to do the next one because 1) you're rooted and have sprecovery, and 2) you've been down that path once already.

Good luck and feel free to just use this thread as a play by play of your experience as you go along.
  3. titans

titans Premium Member Rescue Squad Premium Member

Any ROM is customizable...to go in depth would be rather long so here's some very short summaries of the ROMs

Ultimate Droid: Fast, stable, uses a modified smoked glass (no blue) theme, custom DROID launcher.

Smoked Glass: Decent speed, many visual options, such as blue themed smoked glass, color of notification/clock, etc.

Simply Stunning: Fast ROM, uses a modified blue themed smoked glass, uses custom status bar icons

Bugless Beast: Pretty fast ROM, option for either stock or smoked glass (no blue) theme, has TONS of options (look at the thread for it on alldroid to see the options)

Droidmod: 2.0.1 ROM, features some 2.1 things but it's a little outdated. Smoked glass (no blue) themed.

Cyanogen: Rom built from scratch. If you are new to rooting and hacking you may not want to use this rom.

Boostdscoob's rom: Supposedly this is a wicked fast ROM, but I ditched it the second I loaded it because it wiped ALL of my data, and I didn't feel like editing metamorph themes to get it compatible with the rom. Stock theme.

Hope that helped.
  4. A.Brooks

A.Brooks Member

Absolutely this helped, thanks a lot. Sounds like Ultimate Droid, Bugless, and SS are still my top 3 choices. I really love the setup I had on my Sweeterhome2, I should upload the homescreen from it, was really nice with a few springboards for contacts/facebook/apps etc, looked amazing, had 5 screens, and also gave me the ability to put a sliding appdrawer on the home screen. It went below my contacts/facebook/other springboards bar, and it slid left and right for my most commonly used applications, was really slick. Seems to me like Helix Launcher would allow something similar to that, but I'm not sure yet, there is so much information out there it's hard to take it all in.
  5. satalac

satalac New Member

Great info Titans! I've been wondering which one to go with as well.

Btw, GO TITANS! (I'm from Nashville ;) )
  6. B3y0ndD34th

B3y0ndD34th New Member

I haven't tried multiple roms, but form my experience Bugless Beast definitely works great. I decided to travel down the custom Rom road and to be honest at first I was a little scared but after getting started I realized how easy it was. Bugless Beast seems to work great for me and have definitely given me a taste of what's to come in 2.1. All the features seem to work with the exception of some live wallpapers, however there are updates out that I haven't ventured to grab. I chose Bugless Beast because browsed a few different forums and it seems everyone has a lot of good things to say about the rom, I hope to try another rom in the future but for now this one works for everything I need.
  7. titans

titans Premium Member Rescue Squad Premium Member

Woohoo Vy and CJ2k =)
  8. christim

christim DF Super Moderator Rescue Squad

That's me too. Tried Smoked Glass, stuck on it for 3 versions of it and have been happy enough to not have any need to look elsewhere. Running at 1.1ghz with no issues.

Titans: excellent write up.
    A. Brooks: You can install helixlauncher right now, on a stock phone, and each time you hit the homekey get to decide which launcher to use. That will let you see what it has to offer. Sweeterhome lets you do some crazy setups if you're willing to spend the time with it.
  9. A.Brooks

A.Brooks Member

Yeah, I took the time to set up sweeterhome, but then they updated it and my version doesn't work anymore, and it wasn't really good and stable yet. It looked incredible the way I had it set up and it was honestly my favorite setup of anything I've seen, I guess I could give the new version a shot and see if it's working better for me, but the overclocking for free with the updated kernels for battery life out there, that's a huge draw to me.