Which ROM is right for me? What I want is...

Discussion in 'Android Roms' started by s54, Mar 19, 2010.

1. s54

s54 New Member

(1) Overclocked Droid to at least 1.0 Ghz.
    (2) Wireless tethering
    (3) Retain all my contacts from my stock 2.0.1 firmware

I don't care about fancy-schmancy stuff like live wallpapers, custom themes, or other nonsense. All I want is the phone to be as smooth as possible. Hell, I think that the stock firmware is extremely smooth. Never once had it lock up on me or become jittery. I'm debating whether or not I should "upgrade" at all, but I do really want the capability of wireless tethering.

BTW, how do you guys retain your contacts when going from a stock firmware to a new ROM? I believe most ROM's have you perform a wipe, which will erase the contacts.
  2. dmt316

dmt316 New Member

im pretty sure you can o/c and get wireless tethering from any rom. as for your contacts, they should be backed up to google so they would sync wight down to your phone
  3. Mojo

Mojo New Member

I would say go with DroidMod... because it will let you pick and choose all the things it is going to install for you.
  4. justin82

justin82 DF Super Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

Just root install and install the apps you want. they do not need roms.. download wifitether APK and installl chevy/adams kernal and set cpu from market and walla.. you have a rooted phone with what you want and stock setup on home screens

contacts through google tittanium backup covers the rest (if you have to perform wipe)
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2010
  5. justin82

justin82 DF Super Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

Last edited: Mar 19, 2010
  6. RoLa

RoLa New Member

I'm running CyanogenMod, I'm about to check out Petes New Bugless Beast just to try his Custom Script. If you have no idea about which ROMS are out then I would suggest either DroidMod or Ultimate Droid ...Personal Opinion really..Good luck
  7. titans

titans Premium Member Rescue Squad Premium Member

If you are really happy with the stock speed as it seems you are then you dont even have to root. Just get pdanet from the market for tethering.
  8. TekHawk

TekHawk New Member

Root, flash recovery, flash adamz low voltage kernal and stay stock basicly :p if you really want to try a rom though I would go with Bugless Beast ESE53 0.9
  9. 3083joe

3083joe New Member

yes any rom u can oc and use wireless tethering chevys or petes r great and very smooth, and u can use chevys oc kernal on either
  10. korp

korp New Member

Only if they are a nandroid file do they require that to happen. Simply create a backup, restore the nandroid file of the rom, then restore JUST THE DATA from your backup you created before the rom.

Some roms have a update.zip file which is easier to do but you can't go from a 2.0.1 rom to a 2.1 rom using the update.zip ... you have to do nandroid.

Bugless Beast v0.8 with Chevy's 5 slot 1.2ghz kernel is my favorite setup ... not really sure what kernels have 1ghz but there are 10 slot kernels that have it in there.
  11. Matth3w

Matth3w New Member

Fort Huachuca, AZ (Originally from Pittsburgh, PA)
    You can't nandroid in the data from a 2.01 ROM to a 2.1 in my experience. I tried that just for the heck of it on Bugless Beast when his 2.1 rom first came out and had about 27 force closes before I could even get into the OS.
  12. korp

korp New Member

Really? Worked fine for me when I went from the 2.0.1 version to v0.7 (2.1). The only thing I have seen fc's on is trying to use helixlauncher2 so I just use the helixlauncher.
  13. adrynalyne

adrynalyne Premium Member Premium Member Developer

As long as you wipe, you can.

There really isn't that much difference than a nandroid backup and an update.zip, other than a nandroid can include more partitions.
  14. Yodes

Yodes New Member

I'd go with Droid Mod. Simply because it has what you want and it is one of the most stable (if not the most). And it's ease of installation can't be beat.
  15. Matth3w

Matth3w New Member

What makes it more stable than the zero force closes I've had on Bugless Beast? Any ROM that doesn't use the ported 2.1 launcher2 is pretty much stable unless you start trying to overclock or use voltages that your phone can't handle, and even then that isn't the ROM's stability.
  16. Yodes

Yodes New Member

I said it was ONE of the most stable. Though some people would argue that it is the most stable. For the OP he sounds new to rooting. For the ease of installation Droid mod gives you the stability can't be beat. Not saying BB isn't stable but its a little more involved n installation.
  17. Matth3w

Matth3w New Member

How involved an installation is has absolutely nothing to do with its stability. You seem to be arguing for ease of installation, which I would agree. I would also agree that DM is a pretty easy way to install something you know nothing about, making it difficult to troubleshoot issues.

But as far as stability goes, it has absolutely nothing to do with stability.
  18. Yodes

Yodes New Member

All I was meaning was that Droid mod has everything he wants, is incredibly easy to get going, and as a plus its one of the more stable ROMs.
  19. TekHawk

TekHawk New Member

DM is stable yes but it also runs hotter and slower then 2.1 roms normally will
  20. demon69120

demon69120 New Member

Just saying, all 3 of those have nothing to do with the Rom
    1.) Kernel
    2.) Kernal again, and an app
    3.) Your contacts are synced from your gmail, no need for a ROM

Go get:
    1.) Google dmupater, the first link will give you a link to the download somewhere. Install it with Astro File Manager
    2.) Use it, follow instructions until you get rooted and it installs the recovery
    3.) Follow instructions for Bugless Beast 0.9
    4.) Dowload a kernal from ChevyNo1's kernel thread, whatever is stable and fast.
    5.) Download the lastest version from http://code.google.com/p/android-wifi-tether/downloads/list, install with Astro

Congrats :)
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2010