Which ROM for me?

Discussion in 'Android Roms' started by 82DMC12, Mar 27, 2011.

1. 82DMC12

82DMC12 Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Hey all,

I have had my D1 for about 14 months. Over the time I have seen it get slower and slower despite constantly removing crap on it and deleting old text messages, emails, etc.

For instance, I'm sick of the redraw that takes forever when you hit the home button sometimes. Or when you try to use the dialer and it just freezes up and forces closes.

What I would like to find is a ROM that is more or less the same as stock, except it runs faster, no lag or FC's, maybe better battery life.

I don't think there are any features I miss, but I don't really want to lose what's already there. I'm more interested in better functionality, not bling or wild themes.

Which ROM would fit the bill and why?

Thanks,
    Andy

2. dfuser312553

dfuser312553 Silver Member

Ratings:
    +0
  3. nlinecomputers

nlinecomputers Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I have to agree with that. Droid was only good when it was running 2.1 stock. Froyo really sucked balls. Slow, unstable, force closes. I put up with a rooted version of the stock longer then I should and got ticked off at it. I put CM 7 RC2 on and it seems to be stable but still has memory issues. Lots of apps killed that should be running in the back ground and no multitasking.

Is Bugless, really "Bugless"? I've never tried it and I hate the idea of changing roms again because reinstalling apps is a pain in the rear. Don't have half a day to screw with my phone to get it back to "just right".

4. Chizzele

Chizzele Team Sourcery Developer

Ratings:
    +17
    If you have a D1 that acts up on Froyo i would stay away from any GB Rom as it probably wont handle any of them.

You can find a stock rooted FRG83G 2.2.2 on DF that is the most updated Froyo and works great.
    My personal favorite is Sourcery Rom that is extremely light and great battery life. It is Froyo based, no FC's or any issues what so ever.

5. 82DMC12

82DMC12 Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Chizzele, where do I find that ROM and the instructions on how to load it?

Thanks,
    Andy

6. Chizzele

Ratings:
    +17
    Sourcery ROM

Install Version 2.0 first, then Gapps, and only then 2.2

As always clear cache and wipe data a couple of times.

7. Chizzele

Ratings:
    +17
    Here is a link to the Forum section of Sourcery.

Just incase you will need to get some support. Feel free to pm me as well.

8. faganm24

faganm24 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I would have to somewhat disagree. I was having app draw issues constantly since update to Froyo, but not really force closes. It was just general lagging. But then I rooted and flashed GPA Gingergread ROM. It was better with the first few versions, then it has been pretty much non-existent with GPA14 and Pete's LV 1 GHz kernel.

Peter Alfonso

9. Chizzele

Ratings:
    +17
    The redraw issue is typically resolved by locking the home app into the memory. It can be done on Froyo or GB.

As an OS GB is much more buggy on the D1 as it is not meant for it. I know there are some GB based Roms that work fine for some people but i found most GB Roms that i tried to be very buggy and not as reliable. And before anyone tries to get into an argument with me, I'll repeat and say GB Roms that i tried have been very buggy and although worked for the most part, i didn't have any confidence to use any of them as my daily driver.

So i recommend Sourcery that is Froyo based, 100% reliable and tons of Unique features.

10. cwciwatch

cwciwatch Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I have been using "Stock Gingerbread Android 2.3.3 Build GPA15" as well as the former builds in Pete's stock GB series for a while now and it is by far the smoothest and most reliable GB ROM I have used. Battery life is great and it is quite fast even at default (600) speed, I have always run my phone @ 1200 since I first rooted it but see no need to now because my phone is very nearly as fast now at 600 as it was at 1200. Since I got my D1 almost 2 years ago I have been changing Roms often (just about daily). But lately I have been enjoying the piece and calmness of everything working too much to move to anything else since I have been trying Pete's stock GB, I like some of the advanced features of the Cyanogen based Roms like Liquid and UD but have a lot more force closes and random problems with them.

11. kristoff125

kristoff125 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm hoping you're overclocking if you're have issues with speed?
    I have a D1 I got november 09, it's running like a champ with SS 5.2